PTCL copper wire setup (Need Help)

My main PTCL copper cable has 4 wires inside (black, green, blue and white). The small box that connects to this cable has 4 different color wires (green, red, black and yellow) but i have no idea which wire connects to which as the colors are different. I'll be connecting a phone and DSL modem to this box via splitter. please help.

Never heard of such main PTCL cable But if you have a spare telephone set then check which two out of four wires have current and then connect those two wires to upper Two secrews of Telephone Jack (fig below)

Telephone Jack

PTCL's main cable is usually a black coloured, stiff, 2 core wire. I think that the 4 core one you mention would be your internal home wiring. You can try finding the 'joint' where the main cable meets your internal wiring and see which two colours are used to carry the signal, or as jamal says experiment with pairs to find out which two work.

[quote=“hashmi1, post:3, topic:21984”]

PTCL's main cable is usually a black coloured, stiff, 2 core wire. I think that the 4 core one you mention would be your internal home wiring. You can try finding the 'joint' where the main cable meets your internal wiring and see which two colours are used to carry the signal, or as jamal says experiment with pairs to find out which two work.

[/quote]

If thats the case then He should refrain from using such cable otherwise he will experince poor internet performance with frequent disconnections His main Telephoneline (Black Two wire) should be free from any joints and it should be directly connected to Telephone jack ..............

[quote=“jamalkhan, post:4, topic:21984”]

If thats the case then He should refrain from using such cable otherwise he will experince poor internet performance with frequent disconnections His main Telephoneline (Black Two wire) should be free from any joints and it should be directly connected to Telephone jack ..............

[/quote]

You are right, however the black wire is very hard and not suitable for internal wiring and in-wall socket boards, so some electricians make a junction outside the house and use a thinner and softer wire to dwell inside the walls. In my personal experience junctions don't degrade performance that much unless they are loose or corroded ... I've been running Smart TV with a joint in the wire, but I wouldn't advise this to anyone since things can become confusing if problems occur.

[quote=“hashmi1, post:3, topic:21984”]

[/quote]

The big black wire i was referring to is a PTCL copper cable that is coming directly from the DP (pole) to my room and there is no internal phone wiring in my house. The cable is quite fat with 3 protective layers and have 4 wires inside them as described. My problem is that the colors of these wires are different than the ones in the small junction box and i am having hard time figuring out which one goes where.

First of all you need to find out which 2 wires from PTCL main cable are actually connected in the DP. There are various ways to do this.

1) If you have got a multimeter, you can check which two wires have approximately 48V. You can strip all four wires (i.e. remove insulation) and any two wires should have 48V DC. Mark those two wires and connect them to RED + GREEN wires of the small box (RJ-11 socket, shown above in the picture)

2) If you don't have a multimeter, you can use a telephone set which has a RJ-11 plug (the one which looks like a transparent LAN cable connector fond on LAN cables). Connect your phone's RJ-11 plug into the RJ-11 socket (the small box). Next connect any two wires from PTCL cable to RED+GREEN wires of the RJ-11 socket, check if you hear a dial tone in the phone. If not, try other combination of wires from PTCL cable (e.g BLUE with BLACK, or BLUE with GREEN or BLUE with WHITE)

3) If you even don't have a telephone set with RJ-11 connector, you can use your mobile phone to check which wires from PTCL cable have the 48VDC. Follow these steps.

• First call your PTCL number from your mobile, if you hear ring tone then proceed further. If you hear busy tone, this test will not work.
  • Now disconnect the call, and short BLACK+WHITE. Call again, if you hear busy tone, this WHITE + BLACK is the pair you need to use.
  • If you still hear ring tone, then disconnect the call. Open BLACK+ WHITE and try some other combination, e.g BLUE+GREEN.
  • The right pair of wires (when shorted) will give you a busy tone when you make a call from your mobile.
  • Be careful not to touch any wire when you are making call, the ringing voltage may give you a minor shock, though it is not dangerous.

Hope this will help you finding the right pair.

[quote=“Classna, post:6, topic:21984”]

The big black wire i was referring to is a PTCL copper cable that is coming directly from the DP (pole) to my room and there is no internal phone wiring in my house. The cable is quite fat with 3 protective layers and have 4 wires inside them as described. My problem is that the colors of these wires are different than the ones in the small junction box and i am having hard time figuring out which one goes where.

[/quote]

Strange indeed. AFAIK In principle a single telephone connection (with or without dsl) requires two wires only, connected to the innermost pins on the connector (red and green wires, top two screws as shown in jamal's post), 4 wires (or more for that matter) are usually used to allow a second phone-line using the same cable, or a fax connection etc.

A pic of your wire would help, but if conventions are followed Blue and White form a pair and you can try connecting these two to the red and green wires of your connector (order does not matter) Otherwise just try each possible pair (I think there are 6 possible combinations) ... just remember that you need to use the red and green wires on the 'dibi ' and two wires from your main line.

I just had it connected. I checked the wires in DP and only two wires (white and blue) were connected while the other two (black and green) were left out. Thanks for all your help (Y)

[quote=", post:7, topic:21984"]

First of all you need to find out which 2 wires from PTCL main cable are actually connected in the DP. There are various ways to do this.

1) If you have got a multimeter, you can check which two wires have approximately 48V. You can strip all four wires (i.e. remove insulation) and any two wires should have 48V DC. Mark those two wires and connect them to RED + GREEN wires of the small box (RJ-11 socket, shown above in the picture)

2) If you don't have a multimeter, you can use a telephone set which has a RJ-11 plug (the one which looks like a transparent LAN cable connector fond on LAN cables). Connect your phone's RJ-11 plug into the RJ-11 socket (the small box). Next connect any two wires from PTCL cable to RED+GREEN wires of the RJ-11 socket, check if you hear a dial tone in the phone. If not, try other combination of wires from PTCL cable (e.g BLUE with BLACK, or BLUE with GREEN or BLUE with WHITE)

3) If you even don't have a telephone set with RJ-11 connector, you can use your mobile phone to check which wires from PTCL cable have the 48VDC. Follow these steps.

• First call your PTCL number from your mobile, if you hear ring tone then proceed further. If you hear busy tone, this test will not work.
  • Now disconnect the call, and short BLACK+WHITE. Call again, if you hear busy tone, this WHITE + BLACK is the pair you need to use.
  • If you still hear ring tone, then disconnect the call. Open BLACK+ WHITE and try some other combination, e.g BLUE+GREEN.
  • The right pair of wires (when shorted) will give you a busy tone when you make a call from your mobile.
  • Be careful not to touch any wire when you are making call, the ringing voltage may give you a minor shock, though it is not dangerous.

Hope this will help you finding the right pair.

[/quote]

Ijaz bhai beleive me the shock is so high to make one cry :D Personnel experience :lol:

[quote=“jamalkhan, post:10, topic:21984”]

Ijaz bhai beleive me the shock is so high to make one cry :D Personnel experience :lol:

[/quote]

you must have been bare feet :P

[quote=“Classna, post:, topic:”]

My main PTCL copper cable has 4 wires inside (black, green, blue and white). The small box that connects to this cable has 4 different color wires (green, red, black and yellow) but i have no idea which wire connects to which as the colors are different. I'll be connecting a phone and DSL modem to this box via splitter. please help.

[/quote]

Just try wire combinations until phone works, use that. For me it is green and Red(Inner pair)

[quote=“hashmi1, post:5, topic:21984”]

You are right, however the black wire is very hard and not suitable for internal wiring and in-wall socket boards, so some electricians make a junction outside the house and use a thinner and softer wire to dwell inside the walls. In my personal experience junctions don't degrade performance that much unless they are loose or corroded ... I've been running Smart TV with a joint in the wire, but I wouldn't advise this to anyone since things can become confusing if problems occur.

[/quote]

you are right but this is for cosmetic concerned people It is also not recomended by PTCL (for broadband users), open wires look ugly but at least in my case I ignored the cosmetics also my distance from DP was also too much ... If your system is working with jointed cable it may be because you probably have optimum quality connection ..........