PTCL Contractual employees STRIKE

PTCL contractual employees Union have closed all ptcl offices forcefully. there will be a nationwide strike till i dont know when (starting from today) .. yesterday in islamabad Rangers attacked these guys and 15 of them got injured...i heard current political parties are making things worst for Etisalat so that they can backout of PTCL..according to them, Privatisation of PTCL was in-justice to Pakistan and all PTCL employees..

Contractual employees were thrown out by Etisalat as it was a burden on PTCL..after a long strike and bhoog hartaals, Etisalat hired them back with double the salary...they are still not happy with things and continuing the strike till i dont know when....Sad isnt it??

SAD! ITS happy! i would like to be with them and beat the #$%# outa them! i hope they die! !@#$%^&* have destroyed lives! countless lives!

PTCL employees who voluntarily retired got a retirement package. Apart from that, it is just another organization filled up with 'safarashis'. They all need to be kicked out and new employees should be brought in on merit alone.

PTCL workers lock company gates; 18 hurt in clashes

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
According to the employees’ vows, they started their strike by locking the exchanges and the regional headquarters of the company across the country.

The employees kept the PTCL headquarters building locked until Tuesday afternoon when the staff stranded inside was to call it a day. The Rangers on the request of the management tried to push the mob away from the gates to open them. The Rangers in collaboration with the police dealt with the workers who resisted leaving the gates. Eventually, they resorted to baton charge, tear gas and use of force to vacate the gates of the headquarters which left almost one and a half dozen of workers injured who were shifted to nearby PIMS hospital.

According to the employees action committee they would continue their strike by locking the installations and offices of the company across the country until July 20, or unless their demands were not met.

The workers have also vowed to jam the telecom network of the PTCL on the same day in case their demands are not fulfilled.

[/quote]

Its their right to peacefully protest/strike but what is this "forcibly locked the PTCL main headquarters" and "vowed to jam the telecom network"? :|

hope that your lines don't get any problems meanwhile!

Etisalat did the right thing but they are dealing with a bunch of incompetent fools. They should have thought twice before investing anything in Pakistan. :/

PTCL employees who voluntarily retired got a retirement package. Apart from that, it is just another organization filled up with ‘safarashis’. They all need to be kicked out and new employees should be brought in on merit alone.
[/quote]

Bang on! These leeches should be thrown out!

Safarishis & Rishta-daars don't deserve a job anywhere if they aren't eligible for that post. The sooner we get rid of these dick-heads who know nothing about their jobs and are enjoying their 'free' salaries, the better it'd be and the more chances we'll have of getting much better services off these companies.

PTCL employees who voluntarily retired got a retirement package. Apart from that, it is just another organization filled up with ‘safarashis’. They all need to be kicked out and new employees should be brought in on merit alone.
[/quote]

ditto

they have closed their directory inquiry service 1217 (previously 17) as a protest

I hope they don't ruin my awaited DSL launch :-\. I don't think they are on strike here though.

Safarishis & Rishta-daars don’t deserve a job anywhere if they aren’t eligible for that post. The sooner we get rid of these dick-heads who know nothing about their jobs and are enjoying their ‘free’ salaries, the better it’d be and the more chances we’ll have of getting much better services off these companies.
[/quote]

I don’t think every PTCL employee protesting right now falls under the same category of those people who enjoy their ‘free’ salaries & yes I know the problem is there, like my friend’s uncle who is in PTCL, as per my friend he sits home the whole month and the only day he isn’t home is when the salary is coming out (for that he goes out of home before office hours start, lol) & last time I checked, he was part of the protest.

While his other uncle, who is hard working has been sent to Dubai by them.

You cannot get rid of thousands of employees in Pakistan in a single magic wand moment. Something like this is going to show up. They should have some sort of plan instead of doing such. Plus, as per the new contract, they will not have any retirement fund (Good old pension) - that can be a real bummer for many who deserve it. Imagine all those who have worked in PTCL since years and are told now near their retirement that no pension will be given to them.

yes there are two strikes going on today PTCL and Stock Exchange employees.

PTCL accepts three demands of employees.

http://geo.tv/7-17-2008/21030.htm

Is the strike fully over or not ?

They said one Party of protesting PTCL employees is still continuing the strike :S.

PTCL strike adds to customers’ problems

Source: http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=125032

By By Atif Nadeem

7/19/2008

LAHORE

PTCL workers’ strike has created immense problems for consumers as the organisation was already facing shortage of staff after a large number of workers left the organization under the Volunteer Separation Scheme (VSS).

Official PTCL sources told The News that the organization was facing management problems after 32,000 workers opted for VSS and left the organisation. This increased work-load on remaining 27,000 regular and contract workers, they said.

Resultantly, the PTCL administration expanded area network of linemen from one to four cabinets which badly affected their performances.

Linemen supervised 600 to 800 land-line numbers being operated from one cabinet before termination of services of staff under VSS but now they had to deal with 5,000 to 6,000 numbers. They were not being provided transport and other facilities to boost their efficiency in given circumstances.

The number of complaints had also increased in all 35 exchanges of the provincial metropolis and the estimated number of complaints had increased from 30 to 40 percent in every exchange.

Linemen have to work from 7am to 8pm and expansion in their network areas was causing considerable delay in complaint handling, the sources said.

The sources also said that the administration had relaxed the complaint handling time keeping in mind the increased work-load on linemen. Consumers who had applied for new connections were frustrated over the delay. A personal assistant of a federal minister had been calling the PTCL for installation of a new land-line number in GOR-1 for many days, the sources said.

Problems of consumers and complaints were mounting as rainy season had set in. Situation was deplorable in low-lying areas where there were poor arrangements to drain rainwater, they said. Consumers in such areas were facing serious problems as complaints about distortion, network error, underground cables damage, earthing and lines break-up problems were on the rise and the administration was facing difficulty in clearing the backlog. The sources said that in all exchanges of the provincial metropolis, at least 40 percent consumers were facing problems with their land-line numbers.

Talking to The News, Pakistan Telecom Workers Eithad (PTWE) representatives said that the administration had been deliberately devising strategies so that PTCL financial losses could become a justification for its privatisation at a later stage. They said consumers were more likely to switch to other telecommunication facilities if they were forced to get poor services. They said workload on linemen had increased due to expansion of areas of network under their supervision. They said that shortage of staff was the main reason for this crisis and number of consumers had also diminished due to ill-advised policies of the administration.

PTCL General Manager Operations Muhammad Rashid told The News that shortage of staff was a problem which was successfully handled by the administration through effective management. He said the administration had been trying to provide good services to its consumers. He, however, admitted that the shortage of staff had caused numerous problems for PTCL administration.

Is all this being done so PTCL looses its customers to other big players which have newly come in? i.e. Wateen, which is one of Sheiks venture in Pakistan too...