PTCL Broad Band DSL Issue

PTCL Broad Band DSL Issue

I've been using PTCL's DSL for the last 3 years. Currently I have a 2MBPS package with student discount.

I was initially using the ZTec modem that PTCL provides along with a TP link router.

Later on I shifted to a belkin 54 router.

Things were perfectly fine till Sep last year. My internet works perfectly fine in the mornings, with speeds up to 200 kb/sec for downloads. However, around 8 pm it does not sync. And this problem continues till 2 am in the morning usually. I have to connect my phone line directly to the router, disconnecting the phone connection to the rest of the house. The speed drops to around 20 kb/sec but at least it sync's and I can use the net. But it does give syncing problems continuously during this time.

I live in model town, Lahore. Is this an exchange issue or what? Is somebody else having a similar problem? The net works perfectly fine in the mornings!

Please don't advise me to contact PTCL help line. They are of no help. They convince you that they would sort the issue. But you would not even get a courtesy call.

Hoping to find a solace here.

Cheers,

Check your line attenuation and SNR margins when that happens.....if your wire is(the black one coming from pole to the room) is old or has joints, get a hold of your lineman to get it changed...... also try changing the splitter

but more importantly check the attenuation and snr of your line with and without splitter and especially when this starts happening.....

My 'guess' - since, it is happening at specific time periods only, and then automatically gets corrected; therefore, it might be due to the interference from other devices operating at that time.

There is nothing intelligent in the exchange (unless you have agencies tapping on you :P), and definitely nothing in the cabinet, DP, or the wire to tell it that the Pakistan Standard Time is 8'o clock at night - so DSL honey, time to take rest, and come back online at 2'o clock.

You might have a look at this too: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

PS: It's not an easy job to trace this interference.

For me I can't speak about exact timings but I have also been facing same problem. DSL speed isexcellent in morning but in late afternoon it goes down. No mater what I do it always gives me 10-20kbps. Sometimes I switch off my PC out of frustration. This also happens on weekends.. There is no one available in exchange who can loo into this "night/weekend only" problem.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Check your line attenuation and SNR margins when that happens…if your wire is(the black one coming from pole to the room) is old or has joints, get a hold of your lineman to get it changed… also try changing the splitter

but more importantly check the attenuation and snr of your line with and without splitter and especially when this starts happening…

[/quote]

cq914 can you explain more on the attenuation and SNR?

am a newbie in this regard :expressionless:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

cq914 can you explain more on the attenuation and SNR?

am a newbie in this regard :expressionless:

[/quote]

For an explanation of what Attenuation and SNR is, see this post:

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=82075#p82075

You can check your SNR and Line Attenuation by going to your modem page and checking ADSL Stats.