PTCL brings fiber to the home (GPON) service for its customers

PTCL brings fiber to the home service for its customers

Karachi: Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL), with a commitment to provide the latest technology and innovative products to its customers, has deployed its first ever Fiber to Home service based on Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) technology in Karachi, This service is also available in Lahore and Islamabad as well.

GPON provides a capacity boost in both the total bandwidth and bandwidth efficiency through the use of larger, variable-length packets. It not only provides substantially higher efficiency as a transport network, but also delivers simplicity and superb scalability for future expansion in supporting additional services with lowest cost for all modes of operation.

With this unique capability PTCL has raised the bar of customer experience by many notches. Initially the service includes unprecedented voice quality on telephone, extremely fast reliable broadband connectivity and digital television with amazing video quality.

PTCL’s SEVP, Business Zone South, Abdullah Yousef Abdullah said on this occasion, “PTCL will widely deploy Fiber to the home technology of which the first step has already been taken in some parts of Karachi giving our valued customers the opportunity to experience the latest technology and the best quality of service. Our aim is to delight our customers with such innovative products right at their doorstep which suits their life styles and spending budgets”.

Any official link? Confirmation? Current GPON Customer's experience?Cause GPON set aside, their advertised, "state of art 50mbps VDSL" connections are no where to be seen or used by anyone. at least not in this forum.

TRUE!... but will not launch soon! though most of its part is done!

[quote=“Faisal, post:2, topic:15615”]

Any official link? Confirmation? Current GPON Customer’s experience?Cause GPON set aside, their advertised, “state of art 50mbps VDSL” connections are no where to be seen or used by anyone. at least not in this forum.

[/quote]

http://www.ptcl.com.pk/press_release_detail.php?pd_id=69&pr_id=119

like always PTCL announced first :P launch later <_<

[quote=“firecruz, post:3, topic:15615”]

TRUE!.. but will not launch soon! though most of its part is done!

[/quote]

Lol what do you mean by “most of its part is done” ? Has PTCL laid down the GPON infrastructure already all over PK? Or is it just some very specific areas of few cities with targeted customer base (read custs with deep pockets)?

and I know if GPON comes to my doorstep, I will be at least 5 years older :lol:

[quote=“hashim, post:4, topic:15615”]

http://www.ptcl.com…id=69&pr_id=119

like always PTCL announced first :P launch later <_<

[/quote]

Yea. in this country, everything is turned upside down.

Come on Mr. SEVP. We are still on rotten copper in our area. :angry:

i hope they will provide 10 to 100 mpbs and a monthly charge starting arround 8000

[quote=“scuzzy, post:7, topic:15615”]

Come on Mr. SEVP. We are still on rotten copper in our area. :angry:

[/quote]

LOL your asking from a person who has 2 Abdullah in his name :lol:

I mean he can’t be twice the “man of Allah” :lol:

[quote=“ifkaaar, post:8, topic:15615”]

i hope they will provide 10 to 100 mpbs and a monthly charge starting arround 8000

[/quote]

I think a 50mbps connection with at least 10mbps up speed shouldn’t cost over 3000Rs and 100mbps connection with at least 20mbps up speeds shouldn’t be over 5000rs.

Where is it in Islamabad? :huh:

Its in ISB, LHR, KHI! Im not sure about the areas of other two cities but in islamabad Fiber has almost been laid at

F11, to F8

F11 to I8

F11 to G13

Make a circle around F11 ^^ :)

the core equipment is also installed / Tested.... Some issues are left e.g. Splitter ratio/policies/Cash/Marketing aspects/A bit of last mile fibre! etc

Is this the ONU crap which is delivered to the premises on copper? I tried that a long time back and it failed to work due to incompetence of PTCL technical staff configuring/maintaining the network. <_<

Shifted to Nayatel after that and its been smooth sailing since then. B)

And what about RWP?

WOOOOW.. its in f8 since 2 3 years.. move it further.PTCL is stucked there since ages.

I notice on their website there is just a press release and no other information - I think PTCL's marketing department is totally disconnected from the actual company and issues useless press releases one after the other.

[quote=“Asad, post:13, topic:15615”]

Is this the ONU crap which is delivered to the premises on copper? I tried that a long time back and it failed to work due to incompetence of PTCL technical staff configuring/maintaining the network. <_<

Shifted to Nayatel after that and its been smooth sailing since then. B)

[/quote]

ONU is Exchange —> DP on Fiber then DP —> Home on copper. But GPON is all the way on Fiber from Exchange —> Home as far as i understand. Its similar to Nayatel which in my opinion is far better in this field. So i say stick with Nayatel at all costs. Its not available in my area otherwise i would definitely switched to Nayatel long time ago.

[quote=“firecruz, post:3, topic:15615”]

TRUE!.. but will not launch soon! though most of its part is done!

[/quote]

Someone who already has phone/DSL on copper will be converted or needs new connection all over again? which was the case with ONU connections.

[quote=", post:16, topic:15615"]

I notice on their website there is just a press release and no other information - I think PTCL’s marketing department is totally disconnected from the actual company and issues useless press releases one after the other.

[/quote]

Exactly.

[quote=“Joker, post:18, topic:15615”]

Someone who already has phone/DSL on copper will be converted or needs new connection all over again? which was the case with ONU connections.

[/quote]

If this GPON thing happens, they will definitely require you have a new set up cause that would allow them to gain the extra installation charges. I am sure FC can confirm that.