PTCL and unfair business practice

I am a LinkDotNet user and today I got a letter from PeeTCL asking me to get broadband from them instead of "other broadband" service". The letter starts with:

Dear Broadband User,

Why use other broadband services when you can get PTCL's Broadband Pakistan with all the features you could ever wish for.

So now PTCL is using its position to send letters to other broadband users and luring them to their services. Talk about fair play :D

I wonder if the same kind of data is available to "other broadband services" or not.

There's nothing wrong with that. Its a completely fair and acceptable form of advertisement.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

There’s nothing wrong with that. Its a completely fair and acceptable form of advertisement.
[/quote]

It’s only fair if PTCL also gives access of user data to other companies. Since exchanges come under PTCL hence they have all the data at their disposal as to whom uses which ISP so they can send letters to them. I don’t think LinkDotNet has to access to data about PTCL users.

Think of it this way. If a certain person is not say a LinkDotNet customer, then he/she is either not an internet user, or subscribes to another ISP. I don't think even having access to subscription data would be a big advantage.

Think of it this way. If a certain person is not say a LinkDotNet customer, then he/she is either not an internet user, or subscribes to another ISP. I don’t think even having access to subscription data would be a big advantage.
[/quote]

I think you didn’t read what I wrote above. The letter clearly starts with “Dear Broadband User” and then goes on to say “Why use other broadband services…” so this clearly means they know I am an LDN user hence these kinds of letters are only being sent to existing broadband users.

Secondly I have two phones at home and only got letter on the no. which has LDN DSL!

TechMan there's nothing wrong with a letter like that IMO.

Every company is trying to get more customers/clients. It'll be an unfair business practice if

1- They provide braodband on rates that are too low for other companies to provide and earn any profits.

2- They make it hard for other companies to use the ptcl infrastructure for DSL subscriptions

3- They force you to use their broadband services and reject all others.

TechMan there’s nothing wrong with a letter like that IMO.

Every company is trying to get more customers/clients. It’ll be an unfair business practice if

1- They provide braodband on rates that are too low for other companies to provide and earn any profits.

2- They make it hard for other companies to use the ptcl infrastructure for DSL subscriptions

3- They force you to use their broadband services and reject all others.

[/quote]

There is possibility of points 2 and 3 but you can never be sure.

Regarding that letter I am simply stating that other ISPs like LDN, Cyber Net, Micro Net, Maxcom should have access to PTCL subscriber’s data whether they use it to send letters or missiles it’s their own business. But that is not the case and PTCL in this case has undue advantage since they control the exchanges so they know which user is using which service.

I am a LinkDotNet user and today I got a letter from PeeTCL asking me to get broadband from them instead of “other broadband” service". The letter starts with:

Dear Broadband User,

Why use other broadband services when you can get PTCL’s Broadband Pakistan with all the features you could ever wish for.

So now PTCL is using its position to send letters to other broadband users and luring them to their services. Talk about fair play :D

I wonder if the same kind of data is available to “other broadband services” or not.

[/quote]

Urdu is not allowed so " The person who holds the stick. owns the cow"… you know what I mean… ;)

After all, all the ISPs in PK (including PTCL :expressionless: ) are using PTCL’s infrastructure… If it weren’t for PTCL, we wouldn’t have DSL…

Think of it like a business man (after all its business in end). You wouldn’t want to sub-let your car to another driver to run and split the profit when you know you OWN the damn car and you can drive the car YOURSELF and keep all the PROFIT to ur self + make ur self KNOWN in broader scale.

Urdu is not allowed so " The person who holds the stick. owns the cow"… you know what I mean… ;)

After all, all the ISPs in PK (including PTCL :expressionless: ) are using PTCL’s infrastructure… If it weren’t for PTCL, we wouldn’t have DSL…

Think of it like a business man (after all its business in end). You wouldn’t want to sub-let your car to another driver to run and split the profit when you know you OWN the damn car and you can drive the car YOURSELF and keep all the PROFIT to ur self + make ur self KNOWN in broader scale.

[/quote]

You are right but no matter what the circumstances there are always “rules” of the game.

There is no big deal in it. Every company is nowadays advertising and luring each others customers. You see this always happening in Banks.

Actually these little ISP's always try to be smart A$$ES.

Customer is not dumb , they can decide where to go and which offer to accept or reject.

So there is no need to CRY for little stupid ISPs and companies.

F Qureshi gave a good example of car.

Ahsan

There is no big deal in it. Every company is nowadays advertising and luring each others customers. You see this always happening in Banks.

Actually these little ISP’s always try to be smart ASSES.

Customer is not dumb , they can decide where to go and which offer to accept or reject.

So there is no need to CRY for little stupid ISPs and companies.

F Qureshi gave a good example of car.

Ahsan

[/quote]

So says a PTCL employee… :)

So says a PTCL employee… :)

[/quote]

:) Asad are you enjoying EVDO in ISB ?

Ahsan

:) Asad are you enjoying EVDO in ISB ?

Ahsan

[/quote]

No. I am not on the ‘magical’ list of free beta testers for PTCL services. :D

Still on MBL and enjoying the superior CS. ;)

You are right but no matter what the circumstances there are always “rules” of the game.

[/quote]

If there were to be any “rules” … I am sure you wouldn’t have to post this topic. :)

No. I am not on the ‘magical’ list of free beta testers for PTCL services. :D

Still on MBL and enjoying the superior CS. ;)

[/quote]

I am still confused … and why you have “Thulla” as title? :D

I am still confused … and why you have “Thulla” as title? :D

[/quote]

Confused about what? Ahsan is an employee of PTCL so I was pretty much discounting his comments in support of PTCL in this thread.

Does the title matter?

oh... so you got that letter too....i actually went last wednesday to my current isp head office in my city(multinet) to get disconneted... the very next day i got this letter so i was skeptical as to why did i get that letter the next day... i told the multinet people that i was going for ptcl but i thought that they knew about my antics:D

Im with with TechMan. This is cheating, using unfair means. Its disgusting , PTCL has already so many users, dont know why they r doing this

All these users who are saying this is fair need to read my first and second post again. I can't explain the point again the again. It's not about sending letter or advertising, it's about something else which I have clearly mentioned in my posts.

And no, the example given by Faisal above is not correct. Can't comment on it else thread will go in other direction.

It isn't fair but there is no way that PTCL will or should provide details of its users to any other ISP. I received one last week (i disconnected LDN in Nov.). LDN and other ISPs have the right to be angry but i don't think it will have any major impact on LDN or others userbase. Almost anyone who knows about LDN must already know about PTCL.