PS3 finally properly hacked?

PS3 finally properly hacked?[engadget.com]

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
In a post titled "Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot," hacker George Hotz (already known in the iPhone community) has made a strong claim: that he has cracked the PS3. The system has remained (mostly) uncompromised for over three years now, with a few exceptions here and there. But, this one pledges full read/write access to the entire system memory and complete control over the processor -- all without a mod chip. Has he really done it, if so how, and what comes next? That all remains to be seen. This exploit supposedly "isn't really patchable, but [sony] can make implementations much harder," meaning he isn't tipping his hat until he's ready, because once he does the never-ending firmware update war begins, and as we've seen on the PSP, Sony can really knock out those updates.
[/quote]

Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot[geohotps3.blogspot.com]

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long :)

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...follow @geohot on twitter

POSTED BY GEORGE HOTZ AT 7:06 PM

[/quote]

There are no pics, no videos and no other evidence of the hack. Many people are calling it a fake and people don't even know yet if it'll allow PS3 games to be pirated.

This should be moved to Gamers section..

I think it has probably been hacked but it will take Sony 1 firmware update to fix it and all the hardwork of geohot is going to go to waste.. lol.

Anyway, Lets see.. Fingers crossed

^Oh, I forgot about the Gamers section, I post all news articles in General Discussion.

There are still many other problems even if this hack works:

1) Each game will be 50GB or so to download, uploaders/downloaders might have caps and some Hard Drives might be too small to keep these files.

2) Blu-ray has encryption/piracy protection technologies too.

3) It'll take time for the hardware/software mod to become finalized, released on the internet, and applied by our local shopkeepers.

4) Blu-rays are still expensive, though Chinese unbranded ones(when they start making 'em) might flood the market here making them cheaper.

5) Sony will probably release patches to circumvent them from modding.

6) Sony will probably ban modded PS3s like Microsoft bans Xbox360s.

Still, it hasn't been finalized, and right now, we're not even sure if it is real, as there's no proof yet.

Yeah i agree with most of those points.. But i think its real.. I mean GeoHot is one of the famous hackers around so i dont think he would just say stuff if he hadnt done it.

1) Each game will be 50GB or so to download, uploaders/downloaders might have caps and some Hard Drives might be too small to keep these files.

True.. But i dont think each game is going to be 50gb.. More like 15-20gb. Plus ive seen games already uploaded on some torrent websites..

2) Blu-ray has encryption/piracy protection technologies too.

Im not sure if that comes in between.. I mean i dont know how the hack works, But it could be possible that you just copy the ISO file of the game to your PS3 and play it from your harddisk.. So that eliminates writting game on the blu-ray.. Copying games from blu-ray i dont think its that hard because there are already games availible for download on torrent websites

3) It'll take time for the hardware/software mod to become finalized, released on the internet, and applied by our local shopkeepers.

Yeah but i dont think its a hardware mod.. I think its a complete software mod (like on the PSP)..

4) Blu-rays are still expensive, though Chinese unbranded ones(when they start making 'em) might flood the market here making them cheaper.

Yeah but we dont know how the hack works yet.. If you can play games off the HDD then problem solved

5) Sony will probably release patches to circumvent them from modding.

This is the most worrying part :(.. The hack might work, Sony will just release a firmware update and that will be it ! All hard work of geohot will be gone

6) Sony will probably ban modded PS3s like Microsoft bans Xbox360s.

Yeah.. :(

I hope that PS3 be modded so we can enjoy it like Xbox360!

wow great news :)

the protection on the blurays was broken a long time ago...like in 2008 or something

as far as Sony fixing the hack through firmware updates and no online place...well doesn't MS already do the same of XBox 360? but still most people here still have moded Xboxes....

you want to play online with pirated software use a PC :D

^Sony keeps on renewing the protection on their Blu-rays. They've had 4 BD+ security codes, one after the other, as they were hacked. AnyDVD HD 6.5.3.1 allows most of the new ones to be copied though.

^But we can't play Pirated games yet, rite?

^Nope, because for that you need to hack the PS3. Even this hack that George Hotz is talking about isn't complete, he still has to reverse engineer some stuff. After that, people will have access to everything in PS3, and then somebody will have to design a mod to play pirated games. After that our local shopkeepers would need to learn how to mod it and the Blu-rays would need to become cheap enough or that games should become compressible to be easily transmitted using the internet. In between, Sony will update its BD+ protection on its Blu-rays and start banning modded PS3s, it will also issue firmware updates to make the implementation of such mods more difficult. I'm guessing we're about 1.5-2 years off from pirated games on PS3 if it works at all.

A US hacker who gained notoriety for unlocking Apple’s iPhone as a teenager has told BBC News that he has now hacked Sony’s PlayStation 3 (PS3).

George Hotz said the hack, which could allow people to run pirated games or homemade software, took him five weeks.

He said he was still refining the technique but intended to post full details online soon.

The PS3 is the only games console that has not been hacked, despite being on the market for three years.

“It’s supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable,” Mr Hotz told BBC News.

“I can now do whatever I want with the system. It’s like I’ve got an awesome new power - I’m just not sure how to wield it.”

Sony said it was “investigating the report” and would “clarify the situation” when it had more information.

'Open curiosity’

Mr Hotz said that he had begun the hack last summer when he had spent three weeks analysing the hardware.

After a long break, he spent a further two weeks cracking the console, which he described as a “very secure system”.

He said that he was not yet ready to reveal the full details of the hack but said that it was “5% hardware and 95% software”.

The hack could allow gamers to play pirated games, “You can use hardware to inject an insecurity and then you can build on that,” he said.

He admitted that he had not managed to hack the whole system, including the protected memory, but had worked out ways to trick the console into doing what he wanted.

Mr Hotz said that he was continuing to work on the hack and, once finished, would publish details online in a similar way to his previous iPhone exploits.

In particular, he said, he would publish details of the console’s “root key”, a master code that once known would make it easier for others to decipher and hack other security features on the console.

He said his motivation was “curiosity” and “opening up the platform”.

“To tell you the truth, I’ve never really played a PS3,” he said. “I have one game, but I’ve never really played it.”

Opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games, he said.

In addition, he said, the hack would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Recent versions of the PS3 do not have the ability to play PS2 games after Sony controversially removed a piece of hardware.

He admitted that it could also allow people to run pirated games.

“I’m not going to personally have anything to do with that,” he told BBC News.

Gaming firms do not take the issue of game piracy and console modification lightly. Recently, Microsoft disconnected thousands of gamers from its online gaming service Xbox Live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

Mr Hotz said that the nature of his PS3 hack means that Sony may have difficulty patching the exploit.

“We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information,” said a Sony spokesman.

Mr Hotz rose to fame in 2007 at the age of 17 when he unlocked the iPhone, which could only be used on the AT&T network in the US at launch.

The hack allowed the popular handset to be used on any network.

He has since released various other hacks, allowing people to unlock later versions of the popular handset.

[/quote]

^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8478764.stm

GG Mr George Hotz…

150px-George_Hotz.jpg

the guy is only 19 :D

He looks scary :P.. Atleast in that pic..

GG Mr George Hotz...

150px-George_Hotz.jpg

Get a pair of glasses son! If this is the person, then he is genius, he has the look of it.

PlayStation 3 exploit released, hackers rejoice[engadget.com]

In case you ever doubted his feat, or you simply wanted to recreate for sport, iPhone hacker extraordinaire George "Geohot" Hotz has released the exploit code he devised for properly hacking the PS3. This should give any aspiring minglers full memory access, and while he's only tested it with firmware version 2.4.2, he "imagine it works on all current versions." A guide might follow sometime in the future, he says, but if you're really antsy to get your coding kicks, we wouldn't wait up.

Update: EuroGamer's got a pretty thorough piece on what Geohot is claiming to have accomplished and what it means to the community -- and as Joystiq points out, until we see some "Hello World" proof of concept program, we don't quite know the extent of his claims. The guy's got a helluva track record, at least with iPhone, so we presume that's next on his and the community's list of to-do's.

[/quote]

Here's your silver platter[geohotps3.blogspot.com]

In the interest of openness, I've decided to release the exploit. Hopefully, this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organize and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released. I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night.

Please document your findings on the psDevWiki. They have been a great resource so far, and with the power this exploit gives, opens tons of new stuff to document. I'd like to see the missing HV calls filled in, nice memory maps, the boot chain better documented, and progress on a 3D GPU driver. And of course, the search for a software exploit.

This is the coveted PS3 exploit, gives full memory space access and therefore ring 0 access from OtherOS. Enjoy your hypervisor dumps. This is known to work with version 2.4.2 only, but I imagine it works on all current versions. Maybe later I'll write up how it works :)

This is a good article for what it means for the less technical.

Good luck!

POSTED BY GEORGE HOTZ AT 6:10 PM

[/quote]

Its gonna be huge if it does get hacked 100% with no firmware to mess with it.

I want to know a few things

1st: If sony bans hacked consoles, what doest it mean? We cant play online?

2nd. If sony release a new firmware..Is it necessary to upgrade our old hacked version?

The firmware wouldnt be any worrying part because actually the modification is done via hardware..So I hope that the hacker would have done "something" with the hardware like Xbox...

So let's see what happens..

I dont think this hack is going to work like the X360 hack..

But even with the X360 hack, You need to have the latest hacked firmware installed i think to play the latest games..

is ps3 easily modded now a days?