PS2 or PSP

I want to buy my brother a gaming console(so that he can leave my computer alone)... he is interested in PSP but i want to buy him PS2...so help me out here.

what should buy for him... i know that PS2'sgame are easily available and are cheap where as i've heard one PSP game cd cost Rs. 2000.

Also note that the budget is Rs. 14000

Please help me out..his birthday is near.

No PSP games are also availible infact for free !! If you have a good internet connection you can download PSP games off the internet they are usually around 1gb-1.5gb but most of them are under 1gb. Plus you can get dvd's from the shops in which they have PSP games and then you use that dvd in your computer, then you transfer the game files from the dvd to the computer and them from computer to the PSP through USB cable and you can play them. You need to have Custom Firmware for this to work original SONY firmwares dont allow this so if you're in karachi i'd say go to Saddar they will tell you all about it and they will give you a PSP with already Custom Firmware installed and everything done so you wont have to do anything. If you buy a box packed PSP then you will have to downgrade and install Custom firmware and blah blah and it will be a headache and you may have to take the PSP to the saddar people then again anyway if you cant do it yourself so thats your choice.

But to be honest, I would recommend the PS2. Psp is a great handheld gaming console but it lacks in graphics and it has a few good games but the PS2 has alot more great games and better graphics. I would prefer the PS2 over PSP anyday but if you're looking for a hand Held gaming device then dont look any further then the PSP.

And yeah, If you're buying a PSP make sure you buy a good big enough Memory Stick i would say atleast 4gb or maybe more so that you can atleast store 3-4 games in the PSP at one time. I would recommend you this website : www.pspiso.com it will help you out and tell you everything you want to know about the PSP.

man you can watch movies and listen to music on a psp... it can be like an ipod for you too... and ofcourse there are games

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

No PSP games are also availible infact for free !! If you have a good internet connection you can download PSP games off the internet they are usually around 1gb-1.5gb but most of them are under 1gb. Plus you can get dvd’s from the shops in which they have PSP games and then you use that dvd in your computer, then you transfer the game files from the dvd to the computer and them from computer to the PSP through USB cable and you can play them. You need to have Custom Firmware for this to work original SONY firmwares dont allow this so if you’re in karachi i’d say go to Saddar they will tell you all about it and they will give you a PSP with already Custom Firmware installed and everything done so you wont have to do anything. If you buy a box packed PSP then you will have to downgrade and install Custom firmware and blah blah and it will be a headache and you may have to take the PSP to the saddar people then again anyway if you cant do it yourself so thats your choice.

But to be honest, I would recommend the PS2. Psp is a great handheld gaming console but it lacks in graphics and it has a few good games but the PS2 has alot more great games and better graphics. I would prefer the PS2 over PSP anyday but if you’re looking for a hand Held gaming device then dont look any further then the PSP.

And yeah, If you’re buying a PSP make sure you buy a good big enough Memory Stick i would say atleast 4gb or maybe more so that you can atleast store 3-4 games in the PSP at one time. I would recommend you this website : www.pspiso.com it will help you out and tell you everything you want to know about the PSP.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info alamode but i need some queries cleared out.

1. Should I buy PSP from Electronic market then and how am i going to know that the seller is gonna give me the real deal…a in any identification i should look for.

2. Cant i just burn the PSP game on PSP DVD and play it rather than store it into PSP memory.

3. Should i buy PS2 original or PS2 slim. Which is the best?

@h4tEbr33d

You have to convert videos for PSP format which is a pain although yeah its fun to watch movies and stuff on PSP and its really good for spending time while traveling and stuff like that. You can listen to music but thats not something special, you can listen to music in all mobile phones the sound quality of PSP is fine not that good not that bad.

@Shlazz

1. Im not sure about that because i bought my PSP when it was released so then i did the downgrading and installing custom firmware and everything myself with the help of pspiso.com

2. No there arent any Psp Dvd's availible. The PSP game's come on a UMD which is a small disk which is fitted inside a case. UMD reader is not availible to anyone but sony (as far as i know) so you cannot buy a empty UMD and save on a UMD so hence you cant play games that way. The only option is to copy games to the Memory Stick and load them from there. These umd's arent the same as small dvds which are available in the market.

3. here are some differences i found between the Fat and the Slim PS2 to help you make the decision:

1. The original (fat) PS2 uses a simple AC power cord, whereas a slim PS2 requires an AC to DC adaptor.

2. The original can support an optional HDD (hard drive). (Note: I'm not sure if all games will support it). The slim does not support any kind of hard drive.

3. To play games online with the original PS2, you have to buy a network adaptor to attach to the expansion bay. The network adaptor is built-in on the slim PS2.

4. Disks are placed in a disk tray on the original model. However, disks are top-loaded and clicked-in on a slim PS2. (Note: It is easier scratch disks when you place them in the slim model than it is on the original PS2. When placing disks in a slim model, you must be more careful and watch what you are doing. You can't just haphazardly toss them in:smileyvery-happy:!)

5. The multitaps made specifically for each model are incompatible with each other. Even the third-party ones that are supposedly built for both will often not work on the slim model. (This happened to me. I have the original model, and I bought a multitap that would work on both models. Since my cousins have a slim PS2, I though I would try it on theirs. However, their console wouldn't even turn on. I later found out that slim models might not have enough power to run a multitap made for both.) Regardless of which model PS2 you get, get the official Sony-manufactured multitap that is specifically made for that model (original or slim).

6. The original models have had more overheating problems and disk-reading problems than the slim model. Also, in many of the original models, the disk-reading laser has burn out overtime (mainly because it has been around longer and has therefore been used more). Most of these problems are either isolated or unheard of with the slim model.

7. The original model has been canceled in the US. The only place you can get one in the US is at a used game store (like EB Games or GameStop) or online (Ebay, to name one). However, they still make the slim model in large numbers.

Anyway what i think is that, PS2 is more good for gaming and gaming only. PSP is a bit more flexible, The gaming isnt as good as on the PS2 but there are alot more features in the PSP then that on the PS2 plus you can even install custom applications on your PSP. I installed one software through which i made my PSP into a remote control for my Sony TV.. PSP has an infra red too so through that it became a remote for my TV.. Lol. So there's alot more you can do with the PSP, although yeah i got tired of the games on PSP pretty quickly.

Ok alamode, let say i buy a box set of PSP slim, i can downgrade the firmware with help from pspiso.com or should i take the downgraded freeware spec from electronic market.

Also if i buy PS2 Slim or fat instead of PSP, do i have to mod it

Third do you know whats the tentative price of PSP nowadays.

if you buy it from Pakistan then you don't have to mod it and now days only slim are available. but period of ps2 is over (but one thing is for sure that ps2 got huge library of so much wonderful games that you can easily get busy with them for next two years). my vote is slightly towards the psp. the result of video on psp is awesome and there are good new games coming for psp like every week and its an eye candy itself :)

I would say if you're buying a PSP then buy a downgraded + Custom Firmware installed one unless you know how to do it. Also if your psp you're buying is of the latest official Sony firmware it cant be downgraded so you wont be able to play games off the memory stick you'll only be able to play games from original UMD's. You will have to wait for their downgraders to be released as Sony is increasing security in every firmware they release. So you have to be careful about that.

As for your second question, it depends if you already buy a modded one then you wont have to. Most of the PS2's available in pakistan are already modified with mod chip etc already installed in them. Make sure of that when you buy it.

And i think the PSP is somewhere around 12500 for the Fat version and slim around 15000 (approximate)

Anyway the PSP is a better overall gadget. PS2 is good for games only and its better for games. If you plan to buy a PS3 in the future then go for the PSP. PSP and PS3 really pair up real nice. You can control your PS3 using your PSP through Wifi anywhere in the world ! Your PS3 is in pakistan and you are sitting in America in a WiFi spot, you can access your PS3 even then (Provided that the PS3 is connected to the internet). Its really fun.

Also make an account on pspiso.com and check this page: http://www.pspiso.com/showthread.php?t=109987

Most of the latest PSP's (including slim ones) you need pandora battery to downgrade them. You can make this battery yourself too there's a guide for that too in the tutorial section. But its not that straight forward. So i would suggest that buy an already downgraded and custom firmware installed PSP.

Ok this is a little hard.If i have PSP slim i need a Pandora battery. to convert my original battery to Pandora i need another battery. Didn't understood this part.

Yeah its a bit confusing. I actually dont know about the Pandora Battery method because my PSP was of a lower firmware so i simply downgraded it and installed a custom firmware so i didnt have to use Pandora battery.

Go to Electronic Market Saddar, they will give you the modded PSP but make sure to buy original Sony/Sandisk MEMORY stick Pro duo.

Go to Electronic Market Saddar, they will give you the modded PSP but make sure to buy original Sony/Sandisk MEMORY stick Pro duo.
[/quote]

yeah am planning to go there today and am gonna buy the fat one (the slim one i not in the budget)…how can i make sure the Memory stick is original…any hints

Turn on the PSP.. go to memory Stick properties and if magic gate support is yes or enable its original.

PSP wala give you fake memory stick it works but its read/write rate is very slow and games freezes frequently and takes long time to copy.

i suggest you to dont buy memory stick from PSP wala. Buy it from galaxy or sony service center(regal saddar).

Yeap buy the memory stick from Galaxy. Buy the Magic Gate original Sony Memory Stick Duo.

What about its music player? can we compare its music to Walkman phones??? :/

I'd say PSP's audio is fine.. I mean its nothing special and i wouldnt buy the PSP only because of the audio.

Btw in PSP you can only change the volume there are even no equalizers as there are in Walkman phones so basically its a simple music player in the PSP nothing that special.

buy your brother a PS2 rather than a PSP , on PSP he'll be buggin you always k bhayya mojhe ye game download karke do , download me this that !!

better solution would be a PS2 on that he'll be able to pick games he would like from any nearest shop .

ok..i'm getting him PSP 2000 (the slim one)...the shop keeper is also giving 4GB of Sony Pro Duo Memory Stick (original) with 10 games... what should i do (in terms of buying memory stick from him or not)

buy your brother a PS2 rather than a PSP , on PSP he'll be buggin you always k bhayya mojhe ye game download karke do , download me this that !!

better solution would be a PS2 on that he'll be able to pick games he would like from any nearest shop .

[/quote]

The problem is we have only 1 TV which is unavailable after 8pm coz mom and dad are politics crazy..

Also there is no more space to buy a new TV or Monitor...tats why my bro doesn't want a PS2...also i think he has got his heart of the PSP.

PSP Games Quality on TV is worst....

PS2 games are not HD res. , so you can just buy any good used monitor around 1200-1500 ,

but if he likes the PSP more then stop thinking over it there's nothing you can do , just buy him a PSP :)