Proxy Server

What is the best way of sharing an internet connection between two computers especially when one computer needs to monitor and control the bandwidth the other PC has access too?

Some sort of proxy server I am assuming?

I am using DSL and another guy who lives downstairs is interested in sharing my connection. I have already hooked up another lan card and have even made a cross over wire. What next? I am not particularly interested in Windows ICS as I would have very little control of the bandwidth.

P.S. I am on vista (which will be the server of sorts) and he (the client) is using xp.

Any advice or software suggestion will be appreciated!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

What is the best way of sharing an internet connection between two computers especially when one computer needs to monitor and control the bandwidth the other PC has access too?

Some sort of proxy server I am assuming?

I am using DSL and another guy who lives downstairs is interested in sharing my connection. I have already hooked up another lan card and have even made a cross over wire. What next? I am not particularly interested in Windows ICS as I would have very little control of the bandwidth.

P.S. I am on vista (which will be the server of sorts) and he (the client) is using xp.

Any advice or software suggestion will be appreciated!

[/quote]

u cud do this my procedure is long but it works

first get virtual box its a software to run virtual OSes on ur computer within ur OS

then download the image of smoothwall its a firewall/router OS and has many features such as QOS bandwidth monitoring, chat monitoring etc and share the internet connection thorugh its to the other connection

with smoothwall u will be able to control each and every packet that goes through ur connection

Ata you can also buy WRT54G and install open source firmware on it (Tomato..)It will monitor bandwidth etc.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Ata you can also buy WRT54G and install open source firmware on it (Tomato…)It will monitor bandwidth etc.
[/quote]

That is WRT54GL variant. The WRT54G doesn’t supports open source firmwares.

I'd like to keep costs down to a minimum so buying routers is really a last resort. Heck man, there's only one client! :) I am still open to suggestions!

Anyways your opinions/suggestions are held in high regard.

P.S. I am trying a couple of proxy softwares like CCproxy. I have heard they have 'speed' controlling features!

Wingate might be of interest to you. It offers complete bandwidth/speed control features as well as monitoring and logging tools. Moreover, you can also set it to behave as transparent proxy, meaning your friend won't need to set any settings in his computer and will be able to play games etc on the net, which are otherwise normally blocked by other proxies.

aah...good suggestion. I remember Cyber cafes using Wingate in the olden days when the internet was still a newbie!

Finally ended up using CCProxy. Highly recommended for anyone in need of a simple proxy software for simple internet connection sharing around the house etc. !