Protecting USB with antivirus

There are many USB-installed antivirus present on different websites. Please tell your experiences how you protect your USB from viruses, spywares etc.

I have a 32GB Transcend USB. I copied some stuff from a lab and then suddenly I had have to face many problems like:

While transferring files from PC to my USB Flash Drive. I received an error message - The Disk can not be written because it is write protected.

i can't copy paste or save data in usb drive like some one has disable usb drive function or something else.

I checked it with Kaspersky, symentic and other spyware but nothing was present. Then I formated the whole USB to get off from this problem as nothing was helping.

I have heard names of AVG anti virus for USB, MX One antivirus for USB and Naevius USB Antivirus. Please tell your experiences and methods to tackle with such USB related problems.

Regards

Using AVG and its protecting all my USBs and Passport drives from all viruses, no complains yet. Also in general I dont think there is something like "Better Antivirus for USB" , if its better its better whether its USB or other Medium, after all USBs are also formatted on one of common file systems fat32 or others.

But I am talking about the case, when we attach our USB to others system. If in others system virus exist it comes in USB. so how to protect it on the spot so that virus could not enter our USB.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

But I am talking about the case, when we attach our USB to others system. If in others system virus exist it comes in USB. so how to protect it on the spot so that virus could not enter our USB.
[/quote]

In the past USB drives used to have a write protection switch. If your drive has that then just press that button and it won’t get viruses.

You can try USB Disk.Security,

Key features:

1. USB Disk Security provides 100% protection against any threats via USB drive, however, the majority of other products are unable even to guarantee 90% protection.

2. USB Disk Security is the best antivirus software to permanently protect offline computer without the need for signature updates, but other antivirus software should update signature database regularly, and they cannot effectively protect offline computer.

3. This light and easy to use solution is 100% compatible with all software and doesn't slow down your computer at all.

You can not have an anti virus on USB flash drive that can give you real-time virus protection because you need an OS to execute the antivirus and tell it what to do. Since portable applications do not interact with host OS, so it will not be possible for for them to provide real time protection. You can however, run a portable version of an anti-virus from within a usb flash drive to run scans on the usb itself as well as the host computer if you have admin rights on the host.

In order to run a antivirus in real time on usb flash drive you need a portable OS on your flash drive. I think Unix has something called liveCD and Mac can be run from flash drive. They are still working on a portable windows.

You can also run an antivirus (real time) on usb if you have U3 program installed on the flash drive. See here http://software.u3.com/Product_Details.aspx?ProductId=268&Selection=15&Lang=en-US

http://software.u3.com/Product_Details.aspx?ProductId=35&Selection=15&Lang=en-US

http://software.u3.com/Product_Details.aspx?ProductId=334&Selection=15&Lang=en-US

USB Disk Security is best

I also had some issues like this when i bought kingston 32GB flash drive, after researching i found that it was the fault of the flash drive. So i claimed that in warrenty, since then i am waiting for the flash drive, when ever i call the shop keeper he gives me a new goooliiii :(

USB Disk Security is best
[/quote]

I downloaded it and have also registered it. I think it is good thing.

I also had some issues like this when i bought kingston 32GB flash drive, after researching i found that it was the fault of the flash drive. So i claimed that in warrenty, since then i am waiting for the flash drive, when ever i call the shop keeper he gives me a new goooliiii :(
[/quote]

lol its scaring but my brand is different as its Transcend. although I registered my USB online with them and they say that this USB has life time warranty but who knows th reality.

If for some reason I claim for it, then what do u think I will have to send it through courier to US?

[/quote]

lol its scaring but my brand is different as its Transcend. although I registered my USB online with them and they say that this USB has life time warranty but who knows th reality.

If for some reason I claim for it, then what do u think I will have to send it through courier to US?