Proper ESD Precautions

I'm looking at getting some proper ESD equipment. I've already zapped a few MOSFETs and don't intend to do that again. I've purchased a ESD Strap, but I'm not sure how to use it. Most of the information on the web seems to suggest that I ought to connect it my computer's case - but I'm not debugging my computer!

As far as I understand, the grounds need to be at the same potential to avoid ESD. Any advice regarding how to achieve this? Secondly, I'm also considering getting a anti-static mat. Any recommendations for a good one?

Any other things I should strongly consider?

Typically, I utilize both the wrist strap and an anti-static mat whenever I am working with static sensitive ICs. Just make sure that both are connected to a functional and properly working earthed terminal/point.

Yeah, that's going to be my first priority when I get to work tomorrow.

[quote=“PsychedelicBreakfast, post:, topic:”]

I’ve purchased a ESD Strap, but I’m not sure how to use it. Most of the information on the web seems to suggest that I ought to connect it my computer’s case - but I’m not debugging my computer!

[/quote]

The wrist strip should be connected to a proper earth terminal. Never connect it to a computer chasis (which has not been properly earthed because a non-earthed computer chasis is at 110V AC). If computer has been connected to a proper earth, only then you can connect the wrist strip to a PC chasis.

Also properly earth your soldering iron.