Processor fan making alot of noise

I have a P4 3 Ghz Processor, its fan makes alot of noise, like a car accelerating, whenever I run a game or any other heavy application (even youtube sometimes).. It stays silent if im just browsing or chatting on MSN, yahoo etc.. Is there any way to fix this problem or is the fan simply dying?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have a P4 3 Ghz Processor, its fan makes alot of noise, like a car accelerating, whenever I run a game or any other heavy application (even youtube sometimes)… It stays silent if im just browsing or chatting on MSN, yahoo etc… Is there any way to fix this problem or is the fan simply dying?
[/quote]

sorry , but yar i m also facing this same problem , btw someone told me that just put some oil on the fan just litle drop it will be fine , i did not yet try it should i ? :)

The fan is just doing its job; when CPU load goes up, the CPU heats up which causes the motherboard to increase the fan speed to keep the CPU cool...

If this is something new (as in it was not happening last week), it is possible that the bearings within your CPU fan are wearing out and the fan needs replacement (10-15 mins by a professional).

p.s. your P4 @ 3.0Ghz probably just runs really hot anyway, requiring the fan to spin up. Your room temperature also determines how fast the CPU and Case fans spin...

I have a P4 3 Ghz Processor, its fan makes alot of noise, like a car accelerating, whenever I run a game or any other heavy application (even youtube sometimes)… It stays silent if im just browsing or chatting on MSN, yahoo etc… Is there any way to fix this problem or is the fan simply dying?
[/quote]

Was that fan used to give same level of noise when your system was brand new? If so then it’s the normal level. However, if not, and this noise-level is new then change the fan. Simple is that. :)

Fe-Aman Allah.

Yeah, it was noisy eversince i got it installed.. So nothing to get worried about..

thanks guys

check the rpm, if its low then you probably have a broken fan

It's natural, there's nothing wrong with your fan. You have a P4 'Prescott' processor probably. They used to run damn hot. I remember seeing a video online of two guys cooking an egg on a Prescott! The Intel stock fan goes crazy just trying to keep it running at normal temp. When I upgraded from a P4 3.2 to a Q6600 with silent cooler, the first couple of days I would press the power button by mistake thinking my P.C is off. :)

Solution 1: Get a silent cooler.

Solution 2: Upgrade

Cheapest Solution: Clean your cpu fan and leave your casing open from one side.

go into bios and look for the fan quiet facility>>if motherboard is asus then it comes with "qfan" ability>>just turn it on in bios and thats it>>keep the fins of the fans clean as dust can accumulate by blowing on it>>take a small tooth brush and clean the fins of the fans>>i used to have a p4 3.0 ghz and had the same problem>>luckily i had a asus motherboard at the time so i just turned on the qfan thingy in bios>>

It’s natural, there’s nothing wrong with your fan. You have a P4 ‘Prescott’ processor probably. They used to run damn hot. I remember seeing a video online of two guys cooking an egg on a Prescott! The Intel stock fan goes crazy just trying to keep it running at normal temp. When I upgraded from a P4 3.2 to a Q6600 with silent cooler, the first couple of days I would press the power button by mistake thinking my P.C is off. :)

Solution 1: Get a silent cooler.

Solution 2: Upgrade

Cheapest Solution: Clean your cpu fan and leave your casing open from one side.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply bro. The second option makes alot of sense :)

go into bios and look for the fan quiet facility>>if motherboard is asus then it comes with “qfan” ability>>just turn it on in bios and thats it>>keep the fins of the fans clean as dust can accumulate by blowing on it>>take a small tooth brush and clean the fins of the fans>>i used to have a p4 3.0 ghz and had the same problem>>luckily i had a asus motherboard at the time so i just turned on the qfan thingy in bios>>
[/quote]

I have an Intel motherboard

get a reduced noise asus heatsink fan for 800 rs>>available for some shops here in karachi

Get WD-40 from some hardware shop and try to spray it in side the fan. (after removing the fan from the system).

jack, are asus heat sinks better than the geuine/stock fan you get with ur cpu?

anybody from pindi knows if they are available in pindi? just wondering

AbbasJin>>jack, are asus heat sinks better than the geuine/stock fan you get with ur cpu?anybody from pindi knows if they are available in pindi? just wondering

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

asus heatsink come in many types>>well the p4 3 ghz actually comes with a heatsink with a copper block (if you turn the heatsink over you will see that it is red/orange color at the bottom while it is off white aluminum all around)

some asus heatsink are all copper based so that heat is conducted better then aluminum>>and you see that if buy a copper based aluminum heat sink it will likely be colored red/orange>>

so copper asus heatsinks are better then aluminum based onces which are intel original>>please read the decibels and noise readings on the side of the package before buying

Get WD-40 from some hardware shop and try to spray it in side the fan. (after removing the fan from the system).
[/quote]

never use wd40 for this purpose :)

I think the fan noise is mostly caused when your processor starts to run realy hot, so it's better to chek the processor, apply the thermal paste on the processor and then properly install the heatsink over the processor (never forget to clean the dust out of cpu socket , heatsink and fan). You must also make sure that airflow around the casing is gud.

Another reason for a hot processor may be that your power supply is wearing out and has become weak which doesn't go well with processor and it gets hot.