Processor Fan Making A Lot Of Noise

Lately my processor fan is making a lot of noise and i think it needs oiling so anyone here has some experience on how to apply it (well i know about the part where we need to remove the sticker from the fan and put the oil in the hole underneath but some advice would be helpful) and which oil to use and where will i get it

Which laptop is it? Want to know how old it is. The older ones do make a lot of noise. The new ones do make noise, you will start noticing it after some usage. I mean I migrated from an almost 4 years old laptop to brand new and in the first few days I did not notice the fan noise but with passage of time, I noticed its humming. They are not super quite but a lot quieter than the old fellas.

I won't recommend oiling it. How do you notice the noise anyway? I mean its summer time right now. The noise of fan and A/C will get over it I am sure. P.S. Clean the fan from outside, just with a blower or compressed air.

Are you sure there's no dust which might causing it to behave like that? I remember i had the same issue couple of months back.. The thing i did was open the desktop case. The heat sink and fan that was on top of the processor had alot of dust so i decided to take it out to clean it well .. Had to use a pin to remove the dust which was stuck in the gaps in heat sink.. It was more like web btw.. It took a few minutes but once it was done, the processor fan was as calm as the bristling wing of butterflies.. wink

By the way this topic might as well help you in this regard, http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=431

Who said laptop?

Oiling processor fan is a risky operation and not worth the risk if u have a nice computer, the oil may leak. i suggest you get a new fan

ya its not a laptop its intel 2.8 ghz HT desktop computer

well there is no dust i just figured out that i had the side case open that's why i was feeling the noise so much :P

^

I guess I was still sleepy when I replied to that :P.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i just figured out that i had the side case open that’s why i was feeling the noise so much :P
[/quote]

lol, you nutter! :P

one useful bit of info i got from this thread was that never oil the fan

@ SaadIbrahim

Change the fan. It's better to have new fan, as new fan will be noiseless. Furthermore, when changing fan, ask the shopkeeper to clean the inside of your desktop (with air blower and dry cloth etc.). You may also need to check the fans of power supply and casing etc. Change all those fans that are slow or making noises.

Do tell us what is out come of new fans. Good luck!

Fe-Aman Allah.

@ SaadIbrahim

Change the fan. It’s better to have new fan, as new fan will be noiseless. Furthermore, when changing fan, ask the shopkeeper to clean the inside of your desktop (with air blower and dry cloth etc.). You may also need to check the fans of power supply and casing etc. Change all those fans that are slow or making noises.

Do tell us what is out come of new fans. Good luck!

Fe-Aman Allah.

[/quote]

well i will get a custom heatsink when i decide to change it but before that i might change the processor :)

only the processor fan is making noise coz the noise only increases when there is load on cpu

My processor fan which i changed few days ago is also making alot of noise under load. I've got a 3.2 Ht processor. And the temps of my processor rise upto 75c i don't know what to do coz i changed my fan to reduce the temps but to no avail. Anyway i'm running it under full load most of the times lets see what happens???

Does anyone of you people know that how much a used p4 motherboard and a Processor will cost me?? And what about a 256MB agp graphics card? I had a 256MB asus 9800xt agp which was burnt due to load shedding.

in my last computer i used to put car grease for fan. used to work out very good, but had to do every 2 to 3 weeks, eventually i changed my computer.

SaadIbrahim..you have some options here

change the fan..intel original fan will cost you abut 500 rs...

get a fan less heat sink available from shing technologies (asus) will cost you though

for 800-1200rs you can buy a fan/heatsink from a lot of places

sell your board/pro/ram put in some money and buy a dual core 1.6/1.8>>their fan are practically noiseless>>that is what iam using>they will draw less power, give off less heat, can be overclocked.

here is what i did>>has a asus p5rd1 with 512 ddr 1 ram and a 3.0 ghz ht pro. Fan should to be like a jet engine when i was playing games..used to get soo hot after half an hour of play that it shut down my 7300gt card....

sold the mobo pro,ram 4500

put in 3500 and bought this

asus sis board for 3200, dual core for 4500 (the were cheaper then), 1 gb ram ddr 2

cost me 3500..under load the processor temp are 28c,no fan noise

My processor fan which i changed few days ago is also making alot of noise under load. I’ve got a 3.2 Ht processor. And the temps of my processor rise upto 75c i don’t know what to do coz i changed my fan to reduce the temps but to no avail. Anyway i’m running it under full load most of the times lets see what happens???

Does anyone of you people know that how much a used p4 motherboard and a Processor will cost me?? And what about a 256MB agp graphics card? I had a 256MB asus 9800xt agp which was burnt due to load shedding.

[/quote]

is they too much dust piling up in the heatsink?

is they too much dust piling up in the heatsink?

[/quote]

yes dust is a huge problem in my pc. Due to dust my front fan which is blowing fresh air in also has problems for which i first clean the dust then put a little drop of machine oil in it’s hole and it starts working fine.

yes dust is a huge problem in my pc. Due to dust my front fan which is blowing fresh air in also has problems for which i first clean the dust then put a little drop of machine oil in it’s hole and it starts working fine.

[/quote]

i had a air duct in my casing so the processor fan can take fresh air but when it was installed my heatsink used to get filled with dust and i had to clean it every two weeks but one day i removed that air duct and the heatsink no more accumulates dust it been one month and still going fine :)

so if you have any such duct remover it and see the results or any fan installed direct in front of processor fan then remove it and install it in a better place

The dealers here put their warranty sticker on the processor before attaching heat sink on top of it. This affects heat transfer between processor and heat sink.

When I removed the sticker (after warranty expired) on my P4 desktop processor, I noticed almost 5 degree cooler than usual temperature. Can't remember actual values though as I changed to C2D almost year and a half ago.

They don't apply the thermal grease properly either.

The dealers here put their warranty sticker on the processor before attaching heat sink on top of it. This affects heat transfer between processor and heat sink.

When I removed the sticker (after warranty expired) on my P4 desktop processor, I noticed almost 5 degree cooler than usual temperature. Can’t remember actual values though as I changed to C2D almost year and a half ago.

[/quote]

ya these guys behave like illiterate and when you tell they say koi faraq nahi parhta

They don’t apply the thermal grease properly either.
[/quote]

they leave the thermal that is applied by the manufacturer and when they take it out for any purpose they reapply it