Processor changing question?

well if i change ma processor from one mobo to other then do i have to put off its heat sink...

i mean do i have to apply the thermal paste again?

If heat sink comes off (get separated) then you need to reapply the thermal paste between them.

:-(

if i take it to some pc shop frm which i ll buy ma new mobo will he do it for me...

^ Yes, most of time they do it (if asked properly) and mostly for free (or for little amount). If they don't then get thermal paste tube (you might need to find it in same computer market) and do it yourself. But it's more likely that they'll do it.

However, if shopkeeper just try to calm you by saying it's not necessary then don't listen to him. With modern CPU it is very much needed. Otherwise, chances of burning CPU are high.

I seperated the fan from the cpu chip once (my old p4 3.0giga HT one)

the paste prolly lost its affect, but i remember using it for over 1.5 , 2 yrs after that. it worked just fine. But i never noticed much jumps in temperatures. the cpu used to work at 65-80 deg c.

^ Mostly it might work without thermal paste but even a slight distance (as thin as human hair) is quite enough to raise CPU temperature beyond it's capacity.

Heatsink needs to firmly attach and flush with CPU. All surfaces in contact, no corner should have any gap of any distance.

I once had to take off, and then put back my stock heatsink on 3.0 HT prescot (A processor from hell in short), and after like 3rd time, the temp sky rocketed to around 65 on idle (Though it was hot as it could ever be and I didn't have any air con in my room), but still. And then I came to know that no one in my stupid paindoo city even know what thermal paste was and so I couldn't find any replacement. I tried some alternative solutions, like tooth paste etc (Without flouride as that might corrode the metal) until I got an Asus heatsink from Galaxy.

And one of their sales rep told me that I could have used the "paste" they use between the joints of metal pipes. But I am not sure what that chemical is, and wouldn't recommend it either.

Sorry for off-topic :D. In short if you can put the heatsink back in the same direction as it was before firmly, and don't take it off again, it should be fine. But you should check the temps anyway. Or temporarily you can take out your mobo and place a few fans below and on top of board to get it as cool as possible.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

And one of their sales rep told me that I could have used the “paste” they use between the joints of metal pipes. But I am not sure what that chemical is, and wouldn’t recommend it either.
[/quote]

That’s usually epoxy. Don’t use it otherwise it will glue it so powerfully that it will never came off.

I recommend removing the old paste and reapplying a fresh layer. The old paste will loose its effectiveness after you separate the HSF from the CPU.