Problems with touchscreen handsets?

I just made a last moment decision to instead of buying nokia 5230 i would rather buy nokia 6030 as according to wat ive been hearing from a close person that touch screen mobiles are quite complicated to use in daily use and are more for your touchscreen satisfaction than serving any purpose..

can someone review whether this is a good choice to drop out a touch screen based handset? and why are touchscreens not easy to use? (i am specifically talking about mid-ranged touchscreens.. not HTC Desire or iPhone here)

I use 5530. I love it..

But yeah, Sometimes the touch screen is a little inconvenient to use. Like for example, You're driving your car and you want to text your friend. In a normal phone you would just press the buttons easily without even looking and you'd know what you've typed but in a touch screen you HAVE to look at the screen to type.. Makes it a little inconvenient.

Thats not the only issue, With 5530 if i use any other theme other then the default theme of the Handset, My mobile gets too slow. I dont know if this is only just specific to my mobile (Maybe i have too many applications) but on the default theme it works good.

Lastly, Another issue that i have is that i cannot see my screen if im standing outside with the sun glaring down on me. Its not only with the 5530 but its with every phone that you cannot see the screen clearly in sunlight.. But with touchscreen since you're dependent on looking at the screen to press buttons, It again gets a little inconvenient to type under the sun and you need a bit of shadow to see the screen.

The touch screen gets a little bit of time to get used to but i enjoy it. So it does have its disadvantages but i really like the touchscreen.

I think i am getting overused to my LG Viewty because i can type a message without even looking at the screen :P

@Zazzyo , You should go for touch screens, they are not so hard to use. Don't go for Nokia though (According to my personal experience) or you can have one having touch screen + physical keypad. I hope you can find one with samsung around 25000 i guess!

Oh well.. i just wanted to gen content with my decision of buying a candybar phone with physical keypad. I ordered a new Nokia 6303 for abt 7100 PKR. I just wanted a reliable phone and i cannot afford to test out touchscreen handset.

@ MZC: 25000 was not my range i guess.. anything between 10000 to 17000 wud be a choice for me.. Ye, i like Samsung's qwerty keypad plus touch phones like corby plus, but the problem is pakistani market some how dislikes samsung mobiles (specially the mid-budget phones) and if i plan to cell a samsung handset after a few months or so, in Pakistan buyers wont pay greater than 50 percnt of its original cost.. but Nokia products sell like hot cakes even if they are years old. agree?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I just made a last moment decision to instead of buying nokia 5230 i would rather buy nokia 6030 as according to wat ive been hearing from a close person that touch screen mobiles are quite complicated to use in daily use and are more for your touchscreen satisfaction than serving any purpose…

can someone review whether this is a good choice to drop out a touch screen based handset? and why are touchscreens not easy to use? (i am specifically talking about mid-ranged touchscreens… not HTC Desire or iPhone here)

[/quote]

Because most of the cheap touchscreen phones use sh!tty touchscreens (like really crap resistive screens) which aren’t responsive. Expensive phones like the iPhone and desire use really responsive capacitive touchscreens that are optimized for fingers and so is the software on the phone.

The touchscreen phones your friend has been using are probably really crap nokia or samsung phones, most of which use resistive screens that aren’t responsive and also the current symbian OS on the nokia phones are outdated and aren’t optimized for touch (hence the reason why the nokia N8 will be the last phone to use symbian s^3, after which nokia is going to use the Meego OS on their new touchscreen phones).

Maybe you are right v9s. The person who recommended me not to buy a touch screen handset owns an LG KP 501 Cookie. A friend of mine also told about his bad experience with buying Nokia 5800 due to it's resistive screen nature.

Therefore this concludes that there are no touchscreen phones in the mid-range cost which offer both functionality and durability.

Capacitive touch screens tend to fulfill the promise of higher responsiveness. However the only handset i know which has a Capacitive touch screen is Samsung Corby in the mid-range cost, which has a tiny display and not even a qwerty onscreen keyboard. All others are resistive.

Therefore sticking to the normal handset with normal tactile keys is maybe the right option in 2010 i guess.

@v9s

oooohhh! wait. Don't say Resistive Screens "A Crap". you are comparing Apples and Oranges.

It's the USER who does use a thing in a wrong way. Resistive Touch screens are primarily to work with Stylus, not with your fingers..

I can say that why you have come to say like that, you probably have used the iPhone or any better Capacitive Touch Screen phone. But technically they are completely different.

I have seen most of the people happily using Nokia 5530 and 5800. They don't have any serious complains with them. You also might have seen on WP forums. That means it's not the device which is actually bad or good, but it's the user who think it's bad for him or good.

It all depends, specifically when some one has not used some more attractive gadget.

Zazzyo; I normally don't get into the discussion where users want some recommendations about buying a mobile phone. Because these don't work seriously, believe me. And even if these work some times then not to the user's satisfactory.

You even can't compare Toucscreen phones with the Regular keypad phones, you should not. They both have different aspects of usage. I can guess you haven't used any Touch Screen device before, so in that sense I can suggest you getting a Nokia 5530 (that is within your budget probably) should give you a good experience. But it also depends on your way of type of usage.

On the other side, changing the brand would not give you satisfaction. Buy the brand what are you are used to with.

::: Capacitive Touch Screen doesn't make a device good if there is nothing inside it :::

@v9s

oooohhh! wait. Don’t say Resistive Screens “A Crap”. you are comparing Apples and Oranges.

It’s the USER who does use a thing in a wrong way. Resistive Touch screens are primarily to work with Stylus, not with your fingers…

I can say that why you have come to say like that, you probably have used the iPhone or any better Capacitive Touch Screen phone. But technically they are completely different.

I have seen most of the people happily using Nokia 5530 and 5800. They don’t have any serious complains with them. You also might have seen on WP forums. That means it’s not the device which is actually bad or good, but it’s the user who think it’s bad for him or good.

It all depends, specifically when some one has not used some more attractive gadget.

[/quote]

I never said ALL resistive screens are crap, most high end phones that use resistive screens (like the n900) use really good quality resistive screens that can also be used with fingers and are very responsive.

What i was saying is that most of the cheap touchscreen phones that are out use really crappy resistive touchscreens (thus also giving a bad name to resistive screens).

Software is also an issue. The operating system of phones need to be optimized for touch, and OS’s like android, iOS and WebOS built from ground up with touch in mind. With OS’s like symbian…they’re haven’t been optimized and hence suck at touch inputs (i’ve used the 5800 and 5530) but are good at stylus inputs somewhat. On the other hand, the n900, while using a good resistive screen, runs the maemo OS which has been built with touch in mind and is good at it.

Ps. the people who are happy with the 5800 and 5530’s touch screens don’t know what they’re missing :D . I had the same attitude as the OP’s friend after using the 5800’s slow interface, saying that touch phones are really crap, but after using the iphone’s surprisingly responsive touch screen, i was blown away at how awesome it was…hardware also plays a big part in the interface as well i guess (most midrange nokia/samsung/lg touch phones are underpowered).

I've been using touchscreen mobile from last three or four years. So now i am kind of addicted to touch screen. The First touch screen mobile i used was A china made copy of K790i :P(I bought the original k790i later:it doesn't have tough screen) it was the most crappy touch screen mobile i've ever used.

The most amazing and soft touch screen i've ever used was LG KU990 known as VIEWTY it was just awesome. Both with stylus and Finger.

But better than that is HTC touch HD! but i don't own it.

At the moment i am using SPV m3100 , the touch is not much great like the previous sets i owned but it is good real good with stylus but not with finger.

I just shared my opinion on the sets i owned and don't want to tell you what to buy, i would suggest you to get used to touch screens first THEN buy something reeeeeeeal gooooood!

I am using nokia 5800 xpress music since last one yr, I have never found a problem with its touch screen, though its software has become a bit slow over a period of time.

Using a IPhone, will never go back to a non touch phone. Bigger screen enables so much more, not in that smaller screens can't do the same thing but bigger screen enables them to be done much better and a lot more usable. Interfaces are much nicer to use - thats why the iPad is so great - its just a bigger screen but that enables a new generation of touch interfaces.

Bad touchscreens like those on Nokias, even the highest end models are many generations behind in the hardware/software combination.

I'm typing this on an opine right now...

iPhones don't compare to Nokias. iPhones compare to HTC ;) - the latter being the better one :P

I have used iPhone and HTC both, I agree that touch screen is a bit hard to handle, especially if you do a lot of texting/sms'ing. If i need to type a message numeric & alpha numeric combined the touch screen would cut the speed down to half almost compare to full QWRT keyboard phones like communicator.

Yes, if you are not a sms freak then touchscreen phones and nice and gives u bigger screen. On lower budget side Samsun Star is not a bad choice as well, it comes with so many innovative features.

if any one u of is not aware of the samsung capacitive touch screen models of reasonable price .. let me quote few models here .. extreamly sensitive to touch and affordable..

1. Samsung s3653

2. Samsung s3653 WIFI

3. Samsung s5620 Monte

have personaly used s3653 ,and s5620 Monte , HTC Touchdiamond (resistive) and I phone 3g (the best one but too expensive)

hope this helps .

cheers

Iphone , the best Touchscreen ever i tested , even HTC HD is not equal to it .

if you can afford it then go for it otherwise its better on Keypads

i personally prefer touchscreen / Finger Friendly

Woa.. thanks for all the feedback.. so it sounds like touchscreens aint so bad afterall... nd surprisingly the nokia 6303 i ordered from a online retailer is still not delievered and they sed they are out of stock :(

.. now i hav to chose another handset.. (i hate doing this ) hmm.. shall i go for a LG cookie fresh?.. its like Rs 5200 brand new from uk ... ? wats the local price here in Pakistan?

I’m typing this on an opine right now…

[/quote]

what is opine? i googled but found no concrete answer though.

^Opine means: expression of opinion.

KO is the only Admin at this forum! :)

تے فیر اوکھے الفاظ استعمال کرنا جناب دا حق ہویا نا

:P

^Opine means: expression of opinion.

KO is the only Admin at this forum! :)

تے فیر اوکھے الفاظ استعمال کرنا جناب دا حق ہویا نا

:P

[/quote]

thanks man, i really need t update my vocabulary.lol

I thout there is someone giving me an opinion but i see you are busy in your own discussion.

Buying a New handset is totally turning into a nightmare!! i cannot find what i need :(... now im stuck at Samsung Marvel ..shall i buy it finally?