Problem with Graphic Card or Motherboard

I am encountering a problem with my PC for the past couple of days.

I am running Nvidia 8600GT 1GB on 2.4 Core 2 Duo MB with 1 GB RAM.

When i shut down the computer and start it afterwords the monitor remains blank and doesn't display anything while the CPU runs fine. Now when i attach the monitor cable to the VGA port of the MB while the computer is still on, the display comes back.

Similarly when i shut down the computer (with the monitor attached to the MB Display slot) and restart it the monitor again goes blank and when i attach the monitor cable to the Nvidia Card Slot, Voila the display comes back again.

I want to know whether the problems lies with my Nvidia Card or the OS.

By your description problem doesn't seem to be the OS.

Try updating motherboard bios, also please mention model of the motherboard.

LOL thats a funny graphic card :P

Have you disabled your builtin vga in BIOS setup before attaching the VGA CARD. If not then do it.

I just don't get... how did he manage to use the Integrated Graphics while the Nvidia Graphis Card is still attached to the board? It won't work, it really shouldn't.

(assuming because he didn't mention removing and connecting the card again and again)

Also taking the above case in mind, it's possible that his Nvidia Graphics Card is not properly connected on the board or making some other problem and so the computer is not able to see it some times. So that's possible what he described above and is actually not strange.

When your computer detects this card(Nvidia), the output is signaled through it and your Integrated Graphics gets disabled.

And when your computer doesn't detect this card the output is signaled through the Integrated Graphics.

To me the problem is due to the Nvida Graphis Card. May be it's not working good or just need to be connected well. Remove it and connect it again on the board. Cleaning the slot and the card is good option.

Otherwise you should traverse through the exact problem. Remove the card and keep it away from the computer for some time or for hours or for days if you can. And try to spend some days with Integrated Graphics to check if it works good alone or not.. You can proceed easily that way to identify the problem.

While checking above, keep the Video Adapter settings to "Auto" in the BIOS if you ever have played with them.. Other wise by default it's always at "Auto"

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

By your description problem doesn’t seem to be the OS.

Try updating motherboard bios, also please mention model of the motherboard.

[/quote]

Please tell me how to update the MB BIOS and my MB model is DG31PR

I just don’t get… how did he manage to use the Integrated Graphics while the Nvidia Graphis Card is still attached to the board? It won’t work, it really shouldn’t. (assuming because he didn’t mention removing and connecting the card again and again)
[/quote]

Well i did remove and then attached it the first time the problem occurred and it worked fine, but when i restarted the system the same problem persists. I am still hooked up to Intel integrated graphics while NVIDIA is still running

Otherwise you should traverse through the exact problem. Remove the card and keep it away from the computer for some time or for hours or for days if you can. And try to spend some days with Integrated Graphics to check if it works good alone or not… You can proceed easily that way to identify the problem.
[/quote]

Good Advice. I will take out hte card and use Intel Grpahics fo aacouple of days. I will reintall the card and the dreiver after 4 ot 5 days and lets see how it goes.

p.s. Also note that my MB went dead but was on warranty so got it repaired. Due you guyz think its bcoz of this i am having the problem coz the computer has slowed down dramatically in the past week

p.s. Also note that my MB went dead but was on warranty so got it repaired. Due you guyz think its bcoz of this i am having the problem coz the computer has slowed down dramatically in the past week

[/quote]

vital piece of info my friend! it could be that.

try use the graphics card in some other pc eg. your friend’s computer. that should tell us whether the geforce is faulty or just a victim…

plus i thought it could be a cmos battery problem? maybe it gets reset every damn time pc restarts and configures itself somehow… :P

oh :o

i have dg31pr and i have same problem with my 7600gt

the pc works fine with onboard vga..

but when i plug my data cable to 7600 the bios loads perfectly till windows xp logo,,then it becomes crashy and pixelated.and suddenly the screen goes black,the num lock key doesnt work as well... :(

it's bin more than a month i am not using it..i have the latest bios as well

i got 7600gt from my friend for just rs 1000 :D so not a big deal..but i am wondering if my pci xpress slot is faulty ? :o

and i have not checked it on my friends comp as well..

scary

Have you disabled your builtin vga in BIOS setup before attaching the VGA CARD. If not then do it.
[/quote]

I think threadOP didn’t see this^

I think threadOP didn’t see this^

[/quote]

tried it as well,but nothing conclusive =/

one of my friend had the same problem with he GT series nvidia card.

I think what's going on is that your card is not properly seated in its slot. That is why the IGP gets activated at times and at other times the graphics card gets activated. Try removing it and reseating the card.

You could also try and manually disable the IGP in the bios.

dude i am not a noob,it worked for more than 2 years with the same settings and this thing happened suddenly !

actually my card started to make alotta noise with its fan.so i unplug it's fan cable..so maybe it malfunctioned :(

^ Mr. non.noob [without any offence] please read above at http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=159464#p159464

I already have described the same scenario as of rokra. It's what how it works and when it works. It was for shlazz's problem as he tried to explain. And if as your problem is also, you said, to be the same. Then again the problem could be with your 7600 Graphics Card..

About BIOS I guess this is fine to keep it at auto. disabling the IGP would result in no display at all your. Either of your Graphics Adapter wouldn't work if 7600 doesn't work while having the IGP disabled. Otherwise toggling in the BIOS would not harm any thing so you can also try switching the options in selecting the Graphics Adapter..

This is totally understandable that if your Computer is giving output to the IGP even when the 7600 Card is already in the slot then it means there is some problem with your 7600 card, or the slot, or the motherboard itself.

But most probably the problem is due to your 7600 card...

I just noticed one thing in your problem that your 7600 card gives the display until the it gets to the Windows Starting Logo... That is the stage where your drivers gets loaded for windows. If that really is. you can also give a try to restore your windows to an earlier restore point. also it's possible that your drivers are not good any more.

If you still want to check your card, you should check that card on other machine or check a new one on your machine. As you mentioned that you aren't using that card for a month now that means perhaps you are using IGP continuously so if you are OK working with the IGP then what's the point you are trying to look for... ??

Just try the card on an other machine if you want to check it... Just get a new card if it's found to be faulty, or else you might need your motherboard be examined.

I hope you know now, what you have to do next...

PS.... They just didn't add the fan into the Graphics Card for a show.. It does a job for you to keep your card cool... Removing the fan from it can really cause damage to the components on it... which lasts it at a not-working-state... I have done it as well one of my older cards which just worked good for couple of days onwards and then gone dead. I do such things only when I know the life of a thing has been over with me and I need a new one..

^ Mr. non.noob [without any offence] please read above at http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=159464#p159464

I already have described the same scenario as of rokra. It’s what how it works and when it works. It was for shlazz’s problem as he tried to explain. And if as your problem is also, you said, to be the same. Then again the problem could be with your 7600 Graphics Card…

About BIOS I guess this is fine to keep it at auto. disabling the IGP would result in no display at all your. Either of your Graphics Adapter wouldn’t work if 7600 doesn’t work while having the IGP disabled. Otherwise toggling in the BIOS would not harm any thing so you can also try switching the options in selecting the Graphics Adapter…

This is totally understandable that if your Computer is giving output to the IGP even when the 7600 Card is already in the slot then it means there is some problem with your 7600 card, or the slot, or the motherboard itself.

But most probably the problem is due to your 7600 card…

I just noticed one thing in your problem that your 7600 card gives the display until the it gets to the Windows Starting Logo… That is the stage where your drivers gets loaded for windows. If that really is. you can also give a try to restore your windows to an earlier restore point. also it’s possible that your drivers are not good any more.

If you still want to check your card, you should check that card on other machine or check a new one on your machine. As you mentioned that you aren’t using that card for a month now that means perhaps you are using IGP continuously so if you are OK working with the IGP then what’s the point you are trying to look for… ??

Just try the card on an other machine if you want to check it… Just get a new card if it’s found to be faulty, or else you might need your motherboard be examined.

I hope you know now, what you have to do next…

PS… They just didn’t add the fan into the Graphics Card for a show… It does a job for you to keep your card cool… Removing the fan from it can really cause damage to the components on it… which lasts it at a not-working-state… I have done it as well one of my older cards which just worked good for couple of days onwards and then gone dead. I do such things only when I know the life of a thing has been over with me and I need a new one…

[/quote]

hey ! thanks…i did plug it in…and after toggling the values (again) it didn’t work after months…but when i changed that DVMT size from 128 to MAXIMUM…chal gya :D

WRITING THE VERY FIRST THING :D

i have got that problem again with the same settings :|

& i have spotted an area,please tell me if this is the same with any other graphic card or not?

image>>

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9767/7600gt.jpg

check the 2nd last yellow fringe,shouldn't it be the same as others? :o

hmm it could be that. Does it look like its broken off or something?

insert it in the slot and look closely to see if any part of that gold tooth actually resides inside the slot or not.

no that's not the problem see this > http://www.techpowerup.com/img/06-03-08/NV7600GT.jpg

then i don't know what's the problem,it gets heated..

i had noticed that movement of my mouse got slow down,and it happened like 4 5 times followed by BLACK SCREEN,while the songs kept working but couldn't toggle numlock key..and when i restarted...window starts up to the main desktop and within seconds it gets BLANK,NO SIGNAL on monitor.

mouse gets slow....hmmm. IMHO thats a good sign of overheating.

i think ur mobo's chip is heating up. try to put active cooling there. and then see the result.

active cooling, im thinking -> a pedastal fan aimed directly at the open case!! :P should take care of all temperature worries!

do try and tell wat happens...

i have opened the case already..will put a pedestal fan as well :D

now it's not even working,i just opened fewer window panels,music,and opened a photo with photoshop.the system crashed :|

and it never got any farther than my desktop !

still using on board vga.

id suggest you look at crash reports

right click on 'computer' at desktop.

click manage.

go to event viewer (look for it! :P )

and see what sort of critical errors you're getting in there. Tally them with the time the crash happens. see if you can find anything there....