Printers

I am thinking of buying a printer again.

The last time I had a printer (10 years ago), it was an HP deskjet and when the ink ran out I never really quite figured out a cost-effective way to replace it and couldn't imagine shelling out as much for the ink as I had, at the time, for the printer itself. After a year of use, the printer faded into the oblivion of neglect until finally being dumped at my vendor's.

Now, I am thinking of taking the plunge again. The question I therefore pose to you, is what is cheaper to maintain in terms of ink and other similar overheads and how much expense on these incidental items am I looking at, where the choice is between an ink-jet and a black and white laser printer.

If you require the use of a scanner I would really recommend the HP three-in-one series. I have a 2.5 yr old HP PSC 1315, never had any problems and highly recommend it!

i would say get b+w laser printer. i have hp one and it is very good

Few years back, I used to buy HP deskjets. They were discarded after the ink ran out simply because there was no one offering affordable refills, and the new cartridges cost almost the same.

Now, I am using the same HP Deskjet printer that I bought last year. It's the right choice if you don't do a lot of printing.

there is a caveat wth Deskjet printers occaisonally used. Daily print atleat one page or your printer head dry out.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

there is a caveat wth Deskjet printers occaisonally used. Daily print atleat one page or your printer head dry out.
[/quote]

In the last 2.5 yrs, there have been times where I haven’t used my printer for upto 4 months at a stretch and it still didn’t give me any problems. Printing a page daily is really pushing it.

I had a hp deskjet 670, it's not cost effective and the ink goes dry a couple of weeks of inactivity.

Since you said the last printer you bought was 10 years ago, I assume your usage is infrequent. Buy a laser printer, the ink (powder) doesn't spoil till it finishes. I bought a Hp 1010 laser in 2001, after about 1500 prints and 7 years I'm still using the toner it came with.

Now I'm thinking of replacing the printer instead of buying a new toner when it finishes but that's just because of Vista issues.

new samsung and hp black and white laser printers are available for around 6500 rupees and refill is also cheap and very good. My neighbor has HP and it is very very good.

I have an HP Photosmart 3 in 1 printer. A few days ago I used up the black and white cartridge and got it refilled, but the printer doesn't detect it anymore. Could it be that it got damaged?

The printing a daily page thing is a fallacy. Believe me, I know, I worked at a "computer super-store" for a few years in Canada while at school. The issue is not so much the usage, but the amount of dust you have flying around your home. The ink does not dry up, but the absolutely micron-sized print heads do get clogged up with dust particles. The only solution when this happens is to push a large quantity of ink through the print head that will dislodge these particles.

The best solution, as 1970-s as it may seem, is a simple dust cover on the printer itself and dusting off the paper sitting in the tray (it gathers a lot of dust).

That being said, nearly all printers now retreat their print heads / cartridges into a section of the printer which should not be easily affected by dust unless you are living in area with constant exposure to dust storms.

As far as printers go, HP is great but generally expensive to run (or a per page basis). They offer the lowest price machines with the best value, but do not expect your machine to last more than a few years tops, especially the low end PSC13XX all-in-one series. Canon printers are great, cartridges are cheap, however print head replacement can be costly when it goes (printheads cost nearly 50% of the original price in certain cases..)

For the occasional printer, laser is not worth it, given their cost and given the fact that they are absolute power hogs (most residential lights dim slightly every time it prints...)

Good luck

I have an HP Photosmart 3 in 1 printer. A few days ago I used up the black and white cartridge and got it refilled, but the printer doesn’t detect it anymore. Could it be that it got damaged?
[/quote]

HP’s software thinks that its still empty… try reinstalling the printer driver to check if it works

@Specter

As of 2006, HP introduced cartridge authentication technology which essentially disables the cartridge once it becomes empty i.e. by the time it first gives you an error message saying the ink is empty, the cartridge has essentially been disabled (electronically).

My understanding of the way it works is that the serial # of the cartridge is stored in the memory of the printer, thus if the cartridge is re-inserted, the printer rejects it as unauthentic / invalid.

The trick is to refill your cartridge at the 40-50% percent mark so that it never gets to the point where the cartridge can be disabled.

I believe there was a lawsuit against HP for this change, although I am not sure what happened to it. Please note that this only applies to the "newer" HP models which use the squarish ink cartridges such as the HP 56/57/58/26/27 etc..

It does not apply to the old, tall cartridges similar to #23, #82 etc...

Boy! This brings back memories of working on the front lines =)

edit: Here is a work around for disabled cartridges:

RESETTING

1. Remove cartridge from your printer.

2. Place a piece of tape over the top left contact as shown in red on the picture to the right.

3. With the tape covering the contact place cartridge back into printer.

4. The printer will perform and alignment page.

5. Once an alignment page has been printed remove cartridge from printer.

6. Place a piece of tape over the second contact shown in red.

7. Place cartridge into printer with both pieces of tape. (One covering the first contact and one cover the second contact.)

8. Printer will print another alignment page.

9. Once the second alignment page has been printed remove cartridge from printer.

10. Remove tape pieces from cartridge contacts (Make sure there is no residual adhesive on cartridge contacts.)

11. Place cartridge into printer. Cartridge should now read full.

source:http://www.refillinstructions.com/HP/H14.htm

epson was among the first ones to disable their cartridges using a chip, its no surprise either coz these companies make huge profits by selling ink cartridges, as pointed out by raza there are workaround that'd be helpful to refill them.

i have refilled(black cartridge) on my HP 4255 twice without any problem.

my experience with Epsons printers have been a terible one, with exception of dotmatrix ones

Thanks for the workaround Raza, but it didn't work on my HP C3180.

Anything else I can do get the damn cartridge to work?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

How much does refilling cartridges cost in Islamabad and where can I get it done?

Can you also refill coloured cartridges or just b&w?

The three in one series, seems like an interesting option...how much will it put me back? What models are recommended?

@Lithium Flower,

You can get teh cartridge refilled in Rawalpindi for:

- 150 Rs for Black cartridge reffill

- 200-250 for Color refill.

@Lithium Flower,

You can get teh cartridge refilled in Rawalpindi for:

- 150 Rs for Black cartridge reffill

- 200-250 for Color refill.

[/quote]

what about brother ink cartiges any onme knows