Price of ATI Radeon 5850 and other 58XX series

What's the price of ATI Radeon 5850, both new and used one?

Or do you have any idea about price of other Radeon cards such as 58XX or 69XX or 77XX series?

And one more thing. Will this card work with older PCs for e.g. Pentium 4 or may be Dual Core.

I think 5850 is obsolete now, you won't find a new one anywhere , only used ones will be available but beware , they would most probably be at the last stages of their life cycle...

As long the motherboard has a PCI-E 16X slot , they would work, but why would you wanna link a 69XX series with a pentium 4 or dual core?? thats cruel man..

rest IDK about prices , you can get an estimate from Amazon.com , they are very close the Pakistani market prices

Actually I don't want to use it for gaming. I want to use it for something else therefore I am looking for cheapest combination through which both GPU and PC will work.

New ATI Radeon 5850 price is US 95 $

what do you want to use the 5850 for ?

ps.

The 7790 is its almost equivalent card performance wise which is available brand new and in warranty for around 16 k. in the market.

5850 is very specific indeed. In any case, you likely won't be able to find it brand new anymore (and it would be stupid to buy a 4 year old GPU brand new). You'll easily find it used though. Try OLX or Pakgamers.

Thanks guys. I wanted to buy 5850 because I thought it may be the cheapest one. But I will also consider any 58XX, 68XX, 69XX and 78XX series card depending on which is the cheapest. Looking at OLX now.

What's your budget? And you want used or new? (since you're looking at OLX, i assume you want used.)

Something around 5000 to 10000?

Yes used.

I would strongly advise against USED GPUs..

One of my HD 6850 just died last week, it was about 2.5 years old and it just DIED.. just died while i was playing the latest Batman... turned into a brick..

I have also lost a GPU in the past , So IMHO you should avoid buying used GPUs as they may be near dying the owner decided to sell it while there was still some life in it...

GPU's don't last as long as any other component in a Computer, idk the reason but they just die and afaik , unless its under warranty, you can't do anything about it..or can you?

Hello!

- First of all, buying a used GPU is more of a gamble as you don't know how it has been used (or abused) ... we have high temps here and most people don't replace the TIM after one season (it dries out) ... result is reduced lifespan of the gpu

- Secondly, you need to determine the version of your pci-e x16 slot ... if its version 1.1, then, you are likely limited to v2.0 spec cards (though there is backwards compatibility but you never know ... there also might be conflicts with HDMI audio with mobos for P4)

- Then, you need to decide on a GPU within limits of your power supply (if you don't intend to update it as well)

- I would suggest that either you spend the 10K to upgrade your entire system by getting a used branded system with good enough integrated graphics and start saving up for a newer GPU (sell or trade in your old system) or you may try to see if you can get a new AMD HD7750 1GB GDDR5 (better for gaming, no extra power needed but pci-e 3.0) or a new nVidia GT 640 Rev 2 GK208 GDDR5 (better overall, very low wattage and pci-e 2.0) working in your current system

Note: Newer low wattage system and gpu may offer good savings (the expensive units cost around Rs. 16) if you use your system for longer periods!

Regards,

Ahmed Faraz

[quote=“TechMan, post:9, topic:20452”]

Something around 5000 to 10000?

Yes used.

[/quote]

Well, if you can increase your budget a little bit, you can buy a brand new Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 for 11,300. It will be inferior in performance than HD5850, but it will be brand new and support the latest features like PCI-Express 3.0 support.

Or if you insist on buying a used GPU, then i would recommend you to go for HD6790 instead of HD5850. On OLX there are quite a few of them selling around 10k-13k.

[quote=“ShoukaT, post:10, topic:20452”]

I would strongly advise against USED GPUs..

One of my HD 6850 just died last week, it was about 2.5 years old and it just DIED.. just died while i was playing the latest Batman... turned into a brick..

I have also lost a GPU in the past , So IMHO you should avoid buying used GPUs as they may be near dying the owner decided to sell it while there was still some life in it...

GPU's don't last as long as any other component in a Computer, idk the reason but they just die and afaik , unless its under warranty, you can't do anything about it..or can you?

[/quote]

Dead GPUs can be brought back to life. If you've ever of the "Oven Bake" method, you can use it to revive your card. As long as the damage isn't permanent.

[quote=“jDk, post:13, topic:20452”]

Dead GPUs can be brought back to life. If you've ever of the "Oven Bake" method, you can use it to revive your card. As long as the damage isn't permanent.

[/quote]

Hello Again!

You may be going off-topic but yes if its due to the GPU die being separated (lead-free solder is to blame) from the board due to stress caused by rapid heating and cooling, you may be able to revive it! Professional re-work/re-balling station, the stencil for the chip and an experienced person would be needed to do it properly! I would say 2 and 1/2 years is good enough time to enjoy and a good excuse to buy something newer :)

Regards,

Ahmed Faraz

[quote=“ahmedfarazch, post:14, topic:20452”]

Hello Again!

You may be going off-topic but yes if its due to the GPU die being separated (lead-free solder is to blame) from the board due to stress caused by rapid heating and cooling, you may be able to revive it! Professional re-work/re-balling station, the stencil for the chip and an experienced person would be needed to do it properly! I would say 2 and 1/2 years is good enough time to enjoy and a good excuse to buy something newer :)

Regards,

Ahmed Faraz

[/quote]

I baked my 9800GTX 3 times to make it work as it artifacted like crazy in both desktop and games. The 3rd time I used it, i then sold it off in HC. Point was, you don't need engineering level expertise to revive your card. I watched a couple of videos on Youtube before I tried the trick myself. And it worked 100%.

^ all the more reason not to buy a used product from OLX or anywhere else. You never know what (ab)uses the poor thing has gone through.