Power requirement for wimax device & router

I am using Wimax device with wifi which consumes 12 V DC on First Floor and a router is installed at Ground floor which consumes 9 V DC. (Both connected through RJ45 cable)

During loadshedding, both devices go down.

I have a 1000 VA Homage UPS but it has a very bad reputation of burning my adaptors. I cannot afford to take risk of connecting and burning another adopter to this UPS.

Kindly guide me what should I do so that both of my devices stay ON during load shedding.

I'll be grateful

Thanks

[quote=“adnan3986, post:, topic:”]

I am using Wimax device with wifi which consumes 12 V DC on First Floor and a router is installed at Ground floor which consumes 9 V DC. (Both connected through RJ45 cable)

During loadshedding, both devices go down.

I have a 1000 VA Homage UPS but it has a very bad reputation of burning my adaptors. I cannot afford to take risk of connecting and burning another adopter to this UPS.

Kindly guide me what should I do so that both of my devices stay ON during load shedding.

I’ll be grateful

Thanks

[/quote]

Your all adapters shall burn, sooner or later, no matter what UPS you use. The reason why this is so, modified sine wave current is a burner. All things electronic and electrical are designed for pure sine wave current but when you forcefully make them run on different type of current i.e. modified sine wave current, these do not accept it as a healthy input and so, reduced life span of equipment. As compared to stand by generator, the only solution to fight load shedding in some better and cheaper way is, using a UPS or inverter designed for pure sine wave current as an output.

[quote=“blogger, post:2, topic:16559”]

Your all adapters shall burn, sooner or later, no matter what UPS you use. The reason why this is so, modified sine wave current is a burner. All things electronic and electrical are designed for pure sine wave current but when you forcefully make them run on different type of current i.e. modified sine wave current, these do not accept it as a healthy input and so, reduced life span of equipment. As compared to stand by generator, the only solution to fight load shedding in some better and cheaper way is, using a UPS or inverter designed for pure sine wave current as an output.

[/quote]

So can you guide me where I can get good quality Pure Sine Wave UPS in Lahore market.

ur routers need dc,,and the wall outlets provide ac so u need ac to dc adapter ,, now with ups y uneed to use aa ac to dc adapter ?

instead get any dc to dc adapter.. so u would skip the inverter part which generates the bloody modified sine wave,,

how much is your battry voltage?

i think u coiuld use a voltage regulator with out put matched to ur device 12v and input matched to the battery voltage may cost 20-30 rs and u r done..

[quote=“jhagra, post:4, topic:16559”]

ur routers need dc,and the wall outlets provide ac so u need ac to dc adapter , now with ups y uneed to use aa ac to dc adapter ?

instead get any dc to dc adapter… so u would skip the inverter part which generates the bloody modified sine wave,

how much is your battry voltage?

i think u coiuld use a voltage regulator with out put matched to ur device 12v and input matched to the battery voltage may cost 20-30 rs and u r done…

[/quote]

This DC voltage regulator you are talking about, should I have to make it by myself or it is avaiable in market ?

this is an ic,, three legged,, ic.. its already available un mmatket but again as i told u i havbent tried it mmyselkf .. but it looks ok solution to e to directly use the available dc,, after adjusting its voltage,,

what are thge battery voltages?

[quote=“adnan3986, post:, topic:”]

[/quote]

Mainly the Power adapters are of two kind:

1) Conventional / Analog power Adapters.

These adapters use iron core transformer and directly convert the incoming AC voltage to a lower level AC voltage. This lowered AC voltage is then converted to DC and then (may or may not be ) regulated. You can easily recognize these kind of adapters because they are big and bulky. Since these contain iron core, so they don’t like anything except pure sine wave input. They are more likely to burn out when driven with non-sine waveforms, even if they don’t burn out they make noise and vibration and heat up much.

1) Switch Mode Adapters.

This type contains ferrite core transformers and first of all, the incoming AC is converted to DC and then stepped down using ferrite core transformers (which operate at high frequency, thus smaller transformers). They are light weight, smart units. Even if you feed them with step sine or a square wave, it makes no difference because AC is converted to DC in the first step. However, this type is sensitive to voltage spikes / surges. Generally they work well with any UPS. These days, 99.9% of mobile chargers are this type of power adapters.

Let us know which type of adapters you have ?

[quote=", post:7, topic:16559"]

Let us know which type of adapters you have ?

[/quote]

I have tried both type of adaptors. I purchased router specific 9 V adaptor (with TP Link written on it). This adaptor was light weight and smaller in size. But it burnt only on first plug-in.

I have also used the heavy adaptors but … :(

Can you mention any specific adaptor available in the market ?

[quote=“adnan3986, post:8, topic:16559”]

Can you mention any specific adaptor available in the market ?

[/quote]

Not really, it is all dependent if a good quality lot is available in market at one time and bad quality at other times. Our market is price driven, not quality conscious.

If you have a UPS and a 12 battery already installed, why not power up your both devices from this 12V battery instead of researching on adapters ? Your 12V device can be directly connected to this battery and 9V device may need some voltage regulation / current limiting (the simple most would be a series resistor).

[quote=", post:9, topic:16559"]

Not really, it is all dependent if a good quality lot is available in market at one time and bad quality at other times. Our market is price driven, not quality conscious. If you have a UPS and a 12 battery already installed, why not power up your both devices from this 12V battery instead of researching on adapters ? Your 12V device can be directly connected to this battery and 9V device may need some voltage regulation / current limiting (the simple most would be a series resistor).
[/quote]

Yes, I have gone through the thread in which you have also proposed a circuit diagram. But 12 Volt battery is not giving constant voltage during its charging / discharging cycle. The circuit which you recommended in other thread also regulates the 12 Volts ? If yes, then I can think of making the same for my requirement. But still I wont prefer this option because I am bad at making circuits.

[quote=“adnan3986, post:10, topic:16559”]

Yes, I have gone through the thread in which you have also proposed a circuit diagram.

[/quote]

That circuit is for 12VDC—>9VDC, if I remember it well.

[quote=“adnan3986, post:10, topic:16559”]

But 12 Volt battery is not giving constant voltage during its charging / discharging cycle. The circuit which you recommended in other thread also regulates the 12 Volts ?

[/quote]

A battery connected to the UPS will of course vary in terminal voltage (probably 10V-14V, depending upon various factors and conditions) but that is not a problem really because the DSL Modem/Routers have built in regulators to further step down the 12V to either 5V or 3.3V. So even if the voltage of UPS battery varies, that is no issue. You can safely connect your 12V device to UPS battery, just be extremely careful about polarity.

@ Ijaz Ahmed. I agree with your post No. 7 but what I have understood from my experience, burning results when rectifiers fail to rectify modified sine wave current properly into DC.

[quote=“blogger, post:12, topic:16559”]

what I have understood from my experience, burning results when rectifiers fail to rectify modified sine wave current properly into DC.
[/quote]

No doubt these Switch Mode adapters burn on UPS (or other non-sine waveforms), but the reason is not the rectifier. It is the Peak to Peak voltage which exceeds the maximum rating of the switching transistor inside the adapter. If you take apart some faulty switch mode adapters, you will mostly see it is not the rectifier which is failing.

The picture below will clarify what happens on modified sine wave, also you can see how noisy is the generator as well. In the middle picture, look at the spikes on +ve and -ve peaks (inside red circles). These peaks vary with load on UPS.

So some adapters will burn and some will still be able to sustain this Vp-p voltage.

Waveforms.jpg

Actually, I meant to say that failure to make perfect DC will result in imperfect direct current entering into ferrit core tranformer resulting in burning of that transformer or shorter life than average.

That generator could be ''sasta'' Chinese which is giving such a non sense wave form. ;)

Ijaz sb powering up a lcd on homage ups is advisable or not?

[quote=“koder, post:15, topic:16559”]

Ijaz sb powering up a lcd on homage ups is advisable or not?

[/quote]

A friend of mine uses his Panasonic Plasma on a 2KVA (homage like) UPS. But I think it could be risky due to the spikes in the UPS output.

If you had asked about APC, I would say “Yes, go ahead” but on Homage, I can’t really encourage you because such UPS eliminate most of the protection / filtering circuits to reduce the cost.

hmm got it.. I have also seen many guys using their lcd's on it... anyhow thnx..

[quote=", post:11, topic:16559"]

That circuit is for 12VDC—>9VDC, if I remember it well.

A battery connected to the UPS will of course vary in terminal voltage (probably 10V-14V, depending upon various factors and conditions) but that is not a problem really because the DSL Modem/Routers have built in regulators to further step down the 12V to either 5V or 3.3V. So even if the voltage of UPS battery varies, that is no issue. You can safely connect your 12V device to UPS battery, just be extremely careful about polarity.

[/quote]

Ok that will be done. I will check the terminal volatage before hooking up my 9Volt router.

Secondly, can you please guide me in my following plan ?

DIAGRAM.jpg

[quote=“adnan3986, post:18, topic:16559”]

Secondly, can you please guide me in my following plan ?
[/quote]

Plan seems Ok but I am wondering what can you feed to a 160AH battery with just a 30W solar panel :)

Is it just for proof of concept or you want to utilize a surplus solar panel ?

If you have to buy a panel, I would suggest a bigger size if you can afford to buy one.

[quote=", post:19, topic:16559"]

Plan seems Ok but I am wondering what can you feed to a 160AH battery with just a 30W solar panel :)

Is it just for proof of concept or you want to utilize a surplus solar panel ?

If you have to buy a panel, I would suggest a bigger size if you can afford to buy one.

[/quote]

In first stage I have budget for this panel, later I will extend it in stages. Secondly please mention in case of Wapda supply avaiable and UPS is charging batteries, what will happen to the solar charge controller ? is there any threat to this equipment ?