Postpaid or Prepaid?

i think postpaid saves alot of money compare to buying prepaid vouchers ever other day what you think of it?

Managing our balance in prepaid is much easier than in postpaid. In prepaid we always know how much balance we currently have and make our calls/messaging/mobiledata in accordance to that. In postpaid, we can easily go out of budget without being fully aware of it, we're not in full control.

i converted my mobikink prepaid to postpaid m100 with security deposite of PKR 1200, bill will be around PKR 300 each month

Have a look at all ads and offers/packages from all operators. The local cellular companies don't really give a !@#$ about Postpaid customers. All they really care about is retaining their own prepaid customers and taking away prepaid customers from the competition. That is where the majority of ads and offers are concentrated.

If you are into long talks chit chat then prepaid is a way to go for you. I am using telenor postpaid and satisfied from it.

[quote=“Asad, post:4, topic:22089”]

Have a look at all ads and offers/packages from all operators. The local cellular companies don't really give a !@#$ about Postpaid customers. All they really care about is retaining their own prepaid customers and taking away prepaid customers from the competition. That is where the majority of ads and offers are concentrated.

[/quote]

Its good for me becuase they dont send shetload of promo smses and promotion calls since ive upgraded to postpay its so much better no need to go shop for vouchers and easy load

[quote=“armada, post:6, topic:22089”]

Its good for me becuase they dont send shetload of promo smses and promotion calls since ive upgraded to postpay its so much better no need to go shop for vouchers and easy load

[/quote]

You can have promos discontinued on prepaid. Call 111, get in touch with a human and ask the guy to disable promotion calls and messages, he\she will say some bullsh** of promos keeping you well informed and then agree to do so. You can recharge prepaid accounts online via banks, some even offer recurring auto recharge at fixed dates etc. Prepaid is cheap, it requires some juggling with subscriptions to reap the most of it but its dirt cheap compared to post-paid plans.

there are no sms bundles on post paid.. no time based call packages.. the line rent is huge and if you dont make any calls at all, you still pay up line rent..

post paid is for bussiness users and managers.. for everyone else , theprepaid is best option..

with warid weekly and monthly 3845 minutes free packages, and u fone super card, there is zero value in post paid.

the only thing better about post paid is that the help line connects instantly and the aunty who greets you on phone.

[quote=“armada, post:, topic:”]

i think postpaid saves alot of money compare to buying prepaid vouchers ever other day what you think of it?

[/quote]

Having used prepaid since the initial days of jazz way back in 1999-2000 (Jazz's second coming) and shifting to post paid for the last couple of years, here are my two cents. Please note that I carried (MNP) my number original Year 2000 number to my current post paid set up (working upwards from Jazz, Telenor, Warid, Ufone and now telenor postpaid).

Pre Paid Pros:

1. Generally you get very cool packages as it has already been pointed out that majority of customers in Pakistan are pre-paid thus most packages are designed around these customers.

2. Competitive rates. Call, text, SMS, mobile data rates are seemingly very good as compared to post-paid. But there are gems to be found in post-paid packages if one looks closely enough

3. Easy to ditch. MNPing a pre-paid connection is easier as compared to a post-paid connection. Though it is not necessary to convert post- to pre- prior to conversion but all dues owed to your carrier must be cleared.

4. Automatically Roaming and Intl calling enabled. For those inclined these services are auto-enabled as they only make $$$ for the carrier

Pre-Paid Cons:

1. Your balance runs out and you would need a recharge beyond a certain specific margin which varies from carrier to carrier. Though it is easy to get a pre-paid charge from brick and mortar stores and online, it still is a concern and basically what drove me to switch

2. Getting through to CSR. As has already been pointed out it is relatively easier to get in touch with a CSR on a post-paid connection. But this could just be a perception like those holding GOld/ Plat credit cards get through to CSR quicker than those holding plain old boring plastic money cards

3. Call connectivity. I am sure this is really my perception but my call success rates are higher on post- than pre- paid. And I dont mean in major cities, I mean smaller towns, villages where connectivity is premium.

Post-Paid Pros:

1. Your credit limit (read security deposit) is your call limit even if you start exceeding your monthly package credit limits.

2. Getting through to CSR (see above #2)

3. Call Connectivity (see above #3)

4. Some very good packages. Like for example the initial Telenor Post-paid is smart 100, Gets you 50 minutes to all network + PSTN, 10 texts, 10MB data for 100 Rupees (+ tax). Add 30 Rupees and you get 250 additional texts. Similar packages exist on other carriers as well. Now it might not seem to be good value, but consider that this: for 130 rupees you get 50 minutes and 260 texts.

5. Certain carriers have reward points (or at-least used to). As I am not on mobilink anymore i have no idea if there reward points system is still active. Though I have had free Pizzas (Pizza Hut) using nothing but those points; very much like CC points

Post-Paid Cons:

1. Package variety is very limited, though as i said there are some very good packages to be had. and many seemingly pre-paid only services can be activated on post-paid or are available to post-paid users as well

2. Intl. calling and roaming needs a beefier security and what not.

3. Tougher to ditch as all dues have to be cleared and I getting security deposit back is not the easiest of tasks

4. Post-paid packages are designed to capture corporates or people who can generate higher ARPU for their carrier. Thus most post- packages being where pre-paid end. IMO what drives post-paid revenue are large national and multi-national corporates. Most carriers would probably not mind loosing all non-corporate post-paid customers as I am sure they pale in size-comparison to corporate customers.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:22089”]

there are no sms bundles on post paid.. no time based call packages.. the line rent is huge and if you dont make any calls at all, you still pay up line rent..

post paid is for bussiness users and managers.. for everyone else , theprepaid is best option..

with warid weekly and monthly 3845 minutes free packages, and u fone super card, there is zero value in post paid.

the only thing better about post paid is that the help line connects instantly and the aunty who greets you on phone.

[/quote]

1. There ARE sms bundles on post-paid. I pay telenor 30 rupees to get additional 250 texts

2. Time based bundles: Again not true. Carriers do offer time specific bundles to post-paid customers. This does vary from carrier to carrier. In-fact one of the first was on mobilink way back in 2000 where mid-night to dawn call were free for a flat amount

that is news to me.. i didnot know that.. thanks for informing...

AFAIR warid and ufone offer no such packages, or may be i dont know about the time based..

still they are very limited in variety and customization.. and rest of the points hold valid..

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:22089”]

there are no sms bundles on post paid… no time based call packages… the line rent is huge and if you dont make any calls at all, you still pay up line rent…

post paid is for bussiness users and managers… for everyone else , theprepaid is best option…

[/quote]
Farhan, check Telenor postpaid smart packages. These are way to go. Free calls to any network.

MobiLink has one for postpaid msms1 300 SMS for 30 PKR with 1 month validity

I have switched from Mobilink Prepaid to Postpaid 4 times last year, couldn't make up my mind. I have learnt that with a postpaid connection you get more offers and its cheaper in the longer run. If I use my phone for 10-15 calls this month than I only pay for that and not PKR100 (monthly)+25(SMS service charge)+ tax each month... plus cheaper 3G options.

The ability to manage your balance, better offers and lots of it make me think prepaid is better than postpaid.