Possible reason for delay in the launch of DTH

Our neighboring country has 5 DTH providers and we don't have any here. There was a grant of two license which would be issued on the fulfillment of formalities.Some forums also state that two licenses have been issued to ARY and Cross Currents and on some other forums you may find license holders ARY and Jung Group. Whoever the license holders are doesn't matter but the real question people ask is when will DTH be launched by ANY company in Pakistan.

So here's the answer. I have come to know from a friend who has been working in PEMRA office that The conditions for launching DTH are tough to fulfill as mentioned in the code of conduct once available on PEMRA site(Now its not available there). License holders are bound to use PAKSAT for there service. And here comes the real problem. You might know that PAKSAT is not fully functional and stops working at the time of sun outage(www.paksat.com for source). Satellite stops signal transmission everyday for 1 hour or 30 minutes (time may vary). So the license holders don't want to use that satellite. They might be waiting for PAKSAT 1R to launch or PEMRA to allow them to use any other satellite for providing DTH service. We will have to either wait till 2011 (April 2011 is launch date of PAKSAT 1R) or PEMRA to allow License holders to use satellite of there want.

That sucks.

Lets see what comes first 4G or DTH.

I think the fair comparison would be 3G and DTH in Pakistan. Or it can be 4G and HDTV DTH.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Our neighboring country has 5 DTH providers and we don’t have any here. There was a grant of two license which would be issued on the fulfillment of formalities.Some forums also state that two licenses have been issued to ARY and Cross Currents and on some other forums you may find license holders ARY and Jung Group. Whoever the license holders are doesn’t matter but the real question people ask is when will DTH be launched by ANY company in Pakistan.

So here’s the answer. I have come to know from a friend who has been working in PEMRA office that The conditions for launching DTH are tough to fulfill as mentioned in the code of conduct once available on PEMRA site(Now its not available there). License holders are bound to use PAKSAT for there service. And here comes the real problem. You might know that PAKSAT is not fully functional and stops working at the time of sun outage(www.paksat.com for source). Satellite stops signal transmission everyday for 1 hour or 30 minutes (time may vary). So the license holders don’t want to use that satellite. They might be waiting for PAKSAT 1R to launch or PEMRA to allow them to use any other satellite for providing DTH service. We will have to either wait till 2011 (April 2011 is launch date of PAKSAT 1R) or PEMRA to allow License holders to use satellite of there want.

[/quote]

informative…

but i think ignorence is better than “KNOW AND WISH”

What about wateen DTH or the so called TV they were offering? Are they coming out of DHA Lahore in the near future or just...........show shaaa.

Dth is coming to Pakistan since 6 years now :D when Sheikh Rasheed was the minister for Information/tech or whatever it is.Forget dth it won't be arriving any soon.Let the loot Pakistan and fill up their pockets.

^do u remember Sheikh Sahabs famous quote:

Channels are pipeline.

Trains are in pipeline.

lolz every thing in pipe line. Wonder how huge pipe line it would be?

with every aspect, in Pakistan, I see only one thing. they do not let them selves being out of the field. means, they always want money, give them that and you will get what you will want. that's all.

IMO, nothing in the world is as much rich who can support Pakistan financially. get the point?

may be this is some what political what I am feeling. but why I talked about it because this is what the root cause. when some technology they will launch, they will not think that how much it will benefit the nation, but they will see how much it will benefit them selves (not for the life time but only in next 5 years). now!! get my point? I hope so... :)

this PEMRA, and their Rules are just nothing and for no valid reason.

they launch the technology that gives them the profit more.

there are many other things, still pending, because of their own. and because of they will lose much what they are currently getting from current technologies

( :/ current technologies........ what are they... :/ ).

sorry for asking something n000bish are you people talking about internet DTH ? or DTH TV ?

DTH TV. Satellite to Set Top Box to TV. Like DishTV, BigTV, Airtel, TataSky, SunTV in India. We get Free-to-Air channels. Previously almost all Pakistani channels were FTA, now Geo Super, Aag, MTV Pakistan (used to be Indus Music) etc. are all for cable only. Infact, I think you can't even get their Set Top Box/Decoder unless you're running a cable company, can I get Geo's Pay Channels if I want to?

^

geo isuues decoders only to cable operators

I wrote about the same topic in my blog at start of this year:

http://www.arsalanonline.com/2009/01/dth-in-pakistan-a-distant-dream/

Coming to the topic, I don't know if it's PEMRA's requirement that DTH has to be started using Paksat-1 only but even if it's true, there are some other reasons too:

DTH project needs investment of billions and due to unstable political situation in Pakistan, even local companies are reluctant. Not every company can afford to launch DTH in Pakistan.Take example of the media giants. Geo and ARY both have preferred to setup their head offices in Dubai. Whatever happened to both the channels during the previous government is in front of us, when Geo was seriously thinking to uplink from Singapore, Hong Kong or UK.

Second main reason is the cable operators mafia. I haven't researched on it yet that how much it is affecting delay in DTH but I'm 100% sure it's also one of the reasons. They would not respect any restriction by PEMRA, they would broadcast pirated and channels banned by PEMRA and PEMRA is unable to touch them. If it tries, cable operators association holds a press conferences and threaten to stop showing all Pakistani channels. So, there must be their involvement in delaying of DTH.

@ArsalanJ

your article really is good, I read it thoroughly. I appreciate it for a good collectively researched information on your blog.

but the facts are much limited within your article. because the article is more a description of DTH and requirement basics for it, than this concerned Topic. though I see a bit of content there about the "DTH in Pakistan". but that also reflects the news running in the area, you collected.

and the context about this topic was the Issues with the Pakistani Authorities and the Technologies like DTH to be launched. and you put your words in above post about the topic.

you can read my post just a few posts above to have and idea what I think. there are a lot of topics and posts about the PEMRA in the Forums (WP) where you currently are.

this is just what I want to comment on your above post

I don't know if it's PEMRA's requirement that DTH has to be started using Paksat-1 only but even if it's true
[/quote]

PEMRA's requirements.... that is what you need really to know about, to set the facts and figures relating any issues with old/current/ and future needs of technology.

the listed requirement about paksat-1 blah blah blah, can be said as to be, because they already have such many requirements which suites them.

DTH project needs investment of billions and due to unstable political situation in Pakistan, even local companies are reluctant. Not every company can afford to launch DTH in Pakistan.Take example of the media giants. Geo and ARY both have preferred to setup their head offices in Dubai. Whatever happened to both the channels during the previous government is in front of us, when Geo was seriously thinking to uplink from Singapore, Hong Kong or UK.
[/quote]

that is what my point of view shows. that the political situations in Pakistan doesn't let people have future. and sometimes the concerning companies or investors think to operate from outside of the field of Pakistani politics.

Second main reason is the cable operators mafia. I haven't researched on it yet that how much it is affecting delay in DTH but I'm 100% sure it's also one of the reasons. They would not respect any restriction by PEMRA, they would broadcast pirated and channels banned by PEMRA and PEMRA is unable to touch them. If it tries, cable operators association holds a press conferences and threaten to stop showing all Pakistani channels. So, there must be their involvement in delaying of DTH.
[/quote]

in this fact, I'll say the PEMRA the Mafia.... but not the Cable operators. the Cable Operator are what, on which the PEMRA can have control very easily. and there are very less like a good association. they all are operated by one Giant and that is PEMRA. you watch, what PEMRA wants, means.. what government wants :)

this was just a bit of addition or modification to your thought.

but the more I think is that in my previous post.

DTH TV. Satellite to Set Top Box to TV. Like DishTV, BigTV, Airtel, TataSky, SunTV in India. We get Free-to-Air channels. Previously almost all Pakistani channels were FTA, now Geo Super, Aag, MTV Pakistan (used to be Indus Music) etc. are all for cable only. Infact, I think you can’t even get their Set Top Box/Decoder unless you’re running a cable company, can I get Geo’s Pay Channels if I want to?
[/quote]

No. ShoukaT is right about that.

even if you could buy that then you will not afford that for your own sake. they are meant be to re-sold. more clearly, Cable Operators get the profit back to them from the viewers

BTW our neighbour country (India) got its sixth DTH provider, Videocon d2h, along with DishTV, TataSky, Airtel Digital TV, Sun Direct and Big TV.

Actually 7th. Don't forget DD Direct+.

^I don't know whats up with that but it hardly offers any good channels. Is it free or something? I also saw some news on CNN-IBN or some other Indian news channel in which they compared the deals offered by DTH providers for their Diwali festival, and they only compared those 6.

Both Geo and ARY have submitted applications along with

the payment to PEMRA for DTH licenses since 2003. Now,

after getting no response from PEMRA, they have taken

their case to the Sindh High Court, last month.

Following is an excerpt from a news article explaining the

details of the case. According to these two channels, PEMRA

is using these licenses as a bargaining chip with these news

organizations.

RAWALPINDI: A division bench of the Sindh High Court in Karachi comprising Justice Mushir Alam and Justice Muhammad Athar Saeed has issued notices to Chairmen Information and Media Development and Pemra with regard to the petition submitted by the Cross Current (Pvt) Ltd for not issuing DTH license.

The petitioner maintained that from the last government to the incumbent government the licence was being denied on political grounds. The present government is following the previous government policy of political victimisation and Pemra is being pressurised to use the licence as a bargaining chip.

Sheikh 'Dirty Pool' Chilli

^I don’t know whats up with that but it hardly offers any good channels. Is it free or something? I also saw some news on CNN-IBN or some other Indian news channel in which they compared the deals offered by DTH providers for their Diwali festival, and they only compared those 6.
[/quote]

Yep its Free To Air one of a kind service. Claims to be the largest DTH service provider in India. Its FTA thats why they don’t offer any premium or pay channel only DD and few FTA channels and quantity of channels is also less as compare to other operators.

BTW most of the cable operators in Pakistan show 9X, 9XM, B4U Music and few others through DD Direct+. :D

Both Geo and ARY have submitted applications along with

the payment to PEMRA for DTH licenses since 2003. Now,

after getting no response from PEMRA, they have taken

their case to the Sindh High Court, last month.

Following is an excerpt from a news article explaining the

details of the case. According to these two channels, PEMRA

is using these licenses as a bargaining chip with these news

organizations.

RAWALPINDI: A division bench of the Sindh High Court in Karachi comprising Justice Mushir Alam and Justice Muhammad Athar Saeed has issued notices to Chairmen Information and Media Development and Pemra with regard to the petition submitted by the Cross Current (Pvt) Ltd for not issuing DTH license.

The petitioner maintained that from the last government to the incumbent government the licence was being denied on political grounds. The present government is following the previous government policy of political victimisation and Pemra is being pressurised to use the licence as a bargaining chip.

[/quote]

Following is assessment of the above news by a professional journalist:

On September 15, 2009 he got published a story in all of his group newspapers, under instructions from the so-called " Night Editor’s Advisory" to publish the story double column on back page in box in all the group’s newspapers.

The story says that his company CROSS CURRENT(PVT) LTD has filed a petition in Sindh High Court against the fedral government for not issuing to his company a licence of DTH (direct to home-- a sort of wireless system for cableless operator for showing TV channels.)

That is why his newspapers and TV channels are full of anti Zardari news.( Discussing Zardari and his work is not my subject here.)

He has asked all his barking dogs( who seem to be trying to bite also) like Shaheen Sehbai, Ansar Abbassi, Rauf Klausara, Hamid Mir, Kamran Khan, Dunger doctor Shahid Masood etc to keep barking on Zardari until he gets the licence.

Now the case is in Sindh High Court. But we can discuss what this firm of anti-Pakistan Mir Shakeel -ur-Rehman is.

You know his partner in India Bajjaj group has the largest stake in DTH. and this DTH is earning billions of ruppes as profit monthly. So like a greedy (you know which animal) Shakeel has his watering tongue out of his mouth.

In this project Bajjaj group has invested 60 percent. that is 20 percent more than in GEO that Bajjaj group has invested.

The ultimate and genuine question is why only Shakeel should be given cartel powers on DTH in Pakistan. Why not to advertise bids from local and foreign investors and give the first 10 highest bidders rights for DTH, who are ready to pay $ one billion every five years to the national exchequer. This will not only break cartalisation in DTH and bring healthy competition like the mobile companies and people will have the right of choice for the best service.