Port Forwarded or Not?

hello guyz......

This will be the most important thread in the PTCL section of this Forum.

ok the thread is about Port forwarding.

peoples i heard there are is a big advantage of port forwarding regarding to the connection speed. if u forward ports for the desired software then you sould experince good downloads on it.

but i wanna know if there is any disadvantage of forwarding ports????

i have windows xp original, and offourse the father of security Norton Anitvirus 2009 with built in Firewall installed.

now i explain what i wanna do.

i wanna use ARES p2p. i want to forward ports for it both the TCP and UDP.

when i forward the ports the software runs fine and my downloads get super speeds. but after some hours my modem get re started and it fails to sync again.

my net is totally disconnected.

then after that i goto my modem settings page and block that ARES p2p port then re start my modem and internet get connected.

what is that happening???????????????????

is it becos of port forwarding

remember i selecet a random port of my choice.

what is that all? and why ISP blocks ports?

and if i unblock them thorugh my DSL modem then what advantages and disadvantages i may experience?????

plz some one explains all this in detail ?????????

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hello guyz…

i just wanna know 2 things

1- how many of you have forwarded the ports for any p2p programs like(utorrent, kazaa, Ares, limwire)

2- how many of you are on ONU Line?

[/quote]

Just these two, right?

1- I have!

2- I am!

owais i edited my post

now plz give me the serious answer dude.

Answers are inline.

peoples i heard there are is a big advantage of port forwarding regarding to the connection speed. if u forward ports for the desired software then you sould experince good downloads on it.

>> True, for the proper operation of some software ports need to be opened.

Just like if a city has an airport, it will have a faster delivery :)

but i wanna know if there is any disadvantage of forwarding ports????

>> Hmm.. You opened a port, you opened one gate to your computer. So, yes, intrusion will be more easy.

Carrying on with Airport example, some ABCD plane can also land on your airport if you don't take appropriate measures.

i have windows xp original, and offourse the father of security Norton Anitvirus 2009 with built in Firewall installed.

now i explain what i wanna do.

i wanna use ARES p2p. i want to forward ports for it both the TCP and UDP.

when i forward the ports the software runs fine and my downloads get super speeds. but after some hours my modem get re started and it fails to sync again.

my net is totally disconnected.

then after that i goto my modem settings page and block that ARES p2p port then re start my modem and internet get connected.

what is that happening???????????????????

is it becos of port forwarding

remember i selecet a random port of my choice.

what is that all? and why ISP blocks ports?

and if i unblock them thorugh my DSL modem then what advantages and disadvantages i may experience?????

plz some one explains all this in detail ?????????

>>

Which DSL modem??

Never happened to me; Shiro has a bug that when you open the status page after a few hours; the modem crashes (confirmed, happened to many on this forum). Sometimes, this removed the settings of port forward too (happened with me). This seems a similar kind of thing.

I don't know which ports PTCL block, but the ports blocked at the back-end can't be opened by port forwarding.

Correct me if I am wrong; Port Forwarding allows the modem to pass the data of a specific port to the proper IP address on the LAN output.

Thanks my dear Owais. your answer and especially ur examples clear much in my mind.

now i forward the port without any tention coz norton always blocks and prevent me on every intrusion attemp and it blocks the IP of intursion coming from.

so the bottom line is that if anyone wanna portforwarding then he/she should use some serious antivirus program in his/her computer.

if i m wrong then correct me........

btw i m using Huawei HG-510 modem