Please Recommend me a Laptop

Hi Guys,

I have been a reader here for a while now. Today I decided to take the plunge and registered myself here. I need your help deciding which Laptop to get. This will be my first laptop and I am not sure which one to buy and from where. As anyone else, I want to get the best bang of buck.

So, I am thinking newer i3/i5 (Probably i5 as the price diff is not that much). 4 GB RAM, 500GB HD, a decent graphic card, and the rest of standard stuff. (DVD write, webcam etc)

I think dell is probably a better option but I am not really sure. I can go for any brand as long as it's within my budget and offers what I want. (Has a reasonable warranty)

My Budget is between 50k-60K (I think it should be enough but can go a lil above if required)

Please note, this laptop is strictly for working purposes. I need it to run continuously for like 6-8 hours without heating up. I dont really need OS as I already have Win 7 with key. Graphic card is only for better display (and possibility of connecting my LCD with it for dual display) it's not for gaming.

Also, I am not in Lahore but Lahore is the closest big city I can get to. So please recommend where in Lahore I should get that. (Please tell the shop name if you have a good experience with any, or can recommend someone)

Thank a lot for your time,

MASK

Dear, you can check Galaxy.pk for laptop prices and specifications

There are many other websites for price checking and compare Laptops

Please give some more details. What model exactly ? Which one is better Dell or HP...

Thanks

Dell N5110.

HP is good, but it relatively costs more than Dell in Pak w.r.t specs.

[quote=“Mask, post:, topic:”]

Hi Guys,

I have been a reader here for a while now. Today I decided to take the plunge and registered myself here. I need your help deciding which Laptop to get. This will be my first laptop and I am not sure which one to buy and from where. As anyone else, I want to get the best bang of buck.

So, I am thinking newer i3/i5 (Probably i5 as the price diff is not that much). 4 GB RAM, 500GB HD, a decent graphic card, and the rest of standard stuff. (DVD write, webcam etc)

I think dell is probably a better option but I am not really sure. I can go for any brand as long as it’s within my budget and offers what I want. (Has a reasonable warranty)

My Budget is between 50k-60K (I think it should be enough but can go a lil above if required)

Please note, this laptop is strictly for working purposes. I need it to run continuously for like 6-8 hours without heating up. I dont really need OS as I already have Win 7 with key. Graphic card is only for better display (and possibility of connecting my LCD with it for dual display) it’s not for gaming.

Also, I am not in Lahore but Lahore is the closest big city I can get to. So please recommend where in Lahore I should get that. (Please tell the shop name if you have a good experience with any, or can recommend someone)

Thank a lot for your time,

MASK

[/quote]

You already have plenty of knowledge. When money is not a problem then it means you need a machine that you’ll like not a machine that somebody told you to use on forums. Go to your local computer market, get in the largest shop that is selling laptops, tell them the criteria (that you mentioned in your post) and tell them to show laptop. Sit there, take your time, and test each laptop. Try to use it for few minutes.

Is the keyboard good for you?

Is the position of touch pad good for you?

Are you comfortable with touch pad?

Is laptop responsive for your action?

Is it easy for you to plug-in your USB flash?

Is it easy for you to use your laptop in general?

It will take couple of hours to test available laptops but then only buy the laptop that you feel comfortable using it. A choice by me or any other member of this forum is our personal choice, it is not your choice. A laptop that is comfortable for me, may NOT be comfortable for you. I hate using pointing stick over an hour but there are people who love it. It’s all about personal choices and being comfortable using it. After all it is you who’ll be using it for months to come. Good luck hunting the laptop. :)

first of all, laptops with graphic cards take up a lot of battery power, and the once which don't are out of budget. So my advise is if you want a laptop which has a battery power for 6-8 hours, then you need to buy one without a graphic card. Nowadays on board graphics are enough for your needs.

Here is a article (a little dated but still relevant) about selecting a laptop with longer battery life:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20007267-1.html

Jack,

I didn't mean it I need 6-8 hours battery backup. I dont think any dell budget laptop gives that.

I mean, I dont want it to heat up in continuous running on 6-8 hours ... (My friend has HP Entertainment edition and it gets pretty hot)

I don't know the exact model number of your friends laptop that is heating up so cant say anything about that.

Laptops with graphic cards are usually not successful in Pakistan, due to the heat. it will depend on the laptop you get and particular model you choose. Some of the earlier hp models with core i3 heated up constantly but that problem was solved some time back. If you are so worried about it heating up, please check the online forums about the particular model you choose.

Also I would advise you to get a laptop cooling pad and place your laptop on that to stop it overheating. Many Chinese once are available in the market but I would recommend logitech original or zalman (if you can find it).

http://bestlaptopcooler.org/

Go for Dell Vostro 3500 or 3550.

Best one's for work and have exactly the same things you are looking for.

Dell inspiron 15R corei5 with dedicated card.

Well i advise NOT to go with a laptop with dedicated graphic card as they get pretty hot.

I have Asus n53sv i5 laptop with Nvidia 540m graphic card and it gets too damn hot.

Processor temperature go till 90 degrees and graphic card temps around 70 , ofcourse i use it pretty heavily so these are the max temperatures.

It is better you get an average i5 dell laptop(around 55k) and you'll be fine.

Also Notebook coolers Don't really help, atmost 2 to 3 degree , and that too is doubtful.

@Mask

As Wampyr wrote, everyone's feelings and needs are different... Anyway to suggest you a Laptop of my choice under well your budget (50K to 60K)..... Here is a HP Probook 4530S (47K).... It's Corei3 2.1GHZ + 4GB RAM + 320 GB HD + DVD Writer, and you can add more RAM and HD if you want to.... coz you're still left with 10+K budget. B)

Here is a deal on galaxy (note: I am no affiliated with galaxy by any means, and it's just to guide you properly )

hp4530s.jpg HP PROBOOK 4530S

PROCESSOR:

INTEL CORE i3 2310 2.10GHZ (SECOND GENERATION)

CHIPSET :

INTEL® HM65 CHIPSET

MEMORY :

4096MB SYSTEM MEMORY

HARD DRIVE :

320GB SATA HARD DRIVE 7200rpm

DISPLAY :

15.6" DIAGONAL HIGH DEFINITION LED

OPTICAL DRIVE :

LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

OPERATING SYSTEM :

WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM

WEIGHT & DIMENSION:

14.76 x 10.1 x 1.13 in (37.4 x 25.6 x 2.87 cm)

SYSTEM

FEATURES:

CAM WIFI FINGER PRINT LAN-PORT CARD-READER

YES YES YES YES 5 IN 1

BATTERY : 6 CELL LITHIUM-LON

PRICE: Rs. 47000

ONE YEAR FREE LOCAL & INT. WARRANTY (WARRANTY CARD)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a review on youtube>>>

------------------------------

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot guys

notebook coolers will help you in decreasing your laptop temp temp upto 6-8 degrees according to this article;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9700201-1.html

[quote=“hawker, post:4, topic:15698”]

Dell N5110.

HP is good, but it relatively costs more than Dell in Pak w.r.t specs.

[/quote]

Its only because dell is offering 55 mobile chipset with now sata3 support, and HP is offering 65 mobile chipset with sata3 support. So in future if you need to change your hdd to sata3 hdd or ssd then dell is a waste.

[quote=“wampyr, post:5, topic:15698”]

You already have plenty of knowledge. When money is not a problem then it means you need a machine that you’ll like not a machine that somebody told you to use on forums. Go to your local computer market, get in the largest shop that is selling laptops, tell them the criteria (that you mentioned in your post) and tell them to show laptop. Sit there, take your time, and test each laptop. Try to use it for few minutes.

[/quote]

Worst solution told by you :D They don’t even know about sata3.

They dont’ know what chipset is in that laptop.

[quote=“Mask, post:7, topic:15698”]

Jack,

I didn’t mean it I need 6-8 hours battery backup. I dont think any dell budget laptop gives that.

I mean, I dont want it to heat up in continuous running on 6-8 hours … (My friend has HP Entertainment edition and it gets pretty hot)

[/quote]

Dell is worst in heating specially this inspiron serise, i’ve tried two and both have the same problem, you must go for HP DV6 core i5, all in one you’ll get round about in 70K

No heating problem, 7200 rpm hdd, usb 3.0 support, intel 65 mobile chipset with sata3 6gbps support gaming card finger print reader, i mean a perfect laptop.

to avoid heating you can use built in graphic card. or set it to dynamic from bios setting, only applications that really need graphic card will run on it, other will use built in graphic card, a very good feature by intel 65 chipset, even not satisfied then take a cooler master original cooling pad will cost you arround 3000-6000, never ever go to china one, logitech is good looking but fan quality is not good as of cooler master