Please disable "Write Cache on Your Hard Disks"

Hello. You should Write Cache on all of your installed Hard Disks.

Explanation:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Although write caching can help to increase the speed of a computer, if a power outage occurs before the data waiting in the cache memory has had a chance to be written to the hard drive's disks, the data on the hard drive can become corrupt. This is like handing your secretary that important paper, but then she gets distracted and forgets to put it back in the filing cabinet. Later, when you go to look for the paper, it is not where you expect it to be.

When a power outage occurs while write caching is enabled, file inconsistencies can result and the operating system can become corrupt. Resulting symptoms can range from odd error messages being displayed, the computer freezing up, the computer not being able to boot again, and blue screen of death error messages being displayed.

[/quote]

This option can cause data loss in case of power fluctuations. Which is common here nowadays. Its better to prevent than to treat.

Read about it here how to disable: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259716

This is true for any OS:

Windows 2000

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7.

Thanks.

Doesn't write-cache improve PC performance?

@Myelin

Disabling write cache will dramatically reduce overall speed of whole computer. All paging hits and file access hits will suffer thus reducing performance.

I shall suggest a regular backup of sensitive and important data to good quality CD\DVD discs is a better idea than downgrading your computer.

^x2 I myself recommend everyone to keep it enabled.

If you find your computer cant load after a power outage, then go into safe mode and then once at desktop, restart. Windows diagnostic facilities can usually rectify the situation at this point (Worked so far for me.)

And yes, I agree with Wampyr. Back up back up backup!!! Its not just for pakistanis but advice given to all!!!

Before you start making decisions do consider this explanation:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Although write caching can help to increase the speed of a computer, if a power outage occurs before the data waiting in the cache memory has had a chance to be written to the hard drive's disks, the data on the hard drive can become corrupt. This is like handing your secretary that important paper, but then she gets distracted and forgets to put it back in the filing cabinet. Later, when you go to look for the paper, it is not where you expect it to be.

When a power outage occurs while write caching is enabled, file inconsistencies can result and the operating system can become corrupt. Resulting symptoms can range from odd error messages being displayed, the computer freezing up, the computer not being able to boot again, and blue screen of death error messages being displayed.

[/quote]

I am using my computer with the option turned off for few months now, with negligible change in performance. The system performance depends more on CPU, RAM and others. And one should be able to recognize a balance between sheer performance and stability.