Please advise. Am I using correct battery?

Hello guys.

I was using 17Ah 12v maintaince free battery with an invertoor/charger for occassional use to run my DSL, WiFi and 1 energy saver. I had a spare SP 1000 va (Super Power) UPS. Today, I hoked my 17Ah 12v battery to it to get unintrupted WiFi.

How can I be sure my UPS will not overcharge this battery? I can not find UPS specs online maybe it is china made for a local brand. The brand (Super Power) is no where to be found on internet. Can 1000 va UPS damage my small battery or I'm good to use it unless I overload it?

Please let me know how can I be sure that my UPS won't overcharge my small maintaince free battery.

IT PROBABLY WILL.. 17AH IS TOO SMALL A BATTERY to risk it...

also it could be lithium ion and could probably burn... read battery specs.. and charging range from manufacturer..

The maximum safe value of charging current for your 17AH battery is about 1.7A (@ room temperature)

Since there are no specs available for this UPS, I would suggest you to remove the battery from UPS.

An estimate can be made by having a look at the UPS (few pictures with top cover removed would help).

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:2, topic:20932”]

IT PROBABLY WILL.. 17AH IS TOO SMALL A BATTERY to risk it...

also it could be lithium ion and could probably burn... read battery specs.. and charging range from manufacturer..

[/quote]

[quote=", post:3, topic:20932"]

The maximum safe value of charging current for your 17AH battery is about 1.7A (@ room temperature)

Since there are no specs available for this UPS, I would suggest you to remove the battery from UPS.

An estimate can be made by having a look at the UPS (few pictures with top cover removed would help).

[/quote]

I am using Yuasa Lead-Acid 12v 17Ah battery. Full battery specs bellow.

http://uk.farnell.com/yuasa/np17-12i/battery-12v-17ah/dp/627057

"Charge Current Max: 3.8A".

I will take the pictures soon and upload them of UPS with top cover removed. Battery plugged in to UPS from 4-5 hours. So far no rise in tempurature and perfect cool as it was with invertor.

Is this a sign that my UPS has overcharging protection?

^it May...but it is still risky.. the only proper and easy way to test is using a DC volt meter..

[quote=“luqmankyz, post:4, topic:20932”]

I am using Yuasa Lead-Acid 12v 17Ah battery. Full battery specs bellow.

http://uk.farnell.com/yuasa/np17-12i/battery-12v-17ah/dp/627057

"Charge Current Max: 3.8A".

[/quote]

Quite expensive battery! Even if it can handle 3.8A, I would still suggest not to use it with SP1000 unless you are pretty sure about the charging current.

Waiting for your pictures, may be they help in estimating the charging current.

Its not the UPS that is the problem, but the settings of the charging circuitry inside the UPS.

Normally the the chargers supply charging current to the battery. The current is reduced as the battery charges and its terminal voltage rises. Normally if the settings of the charger circuit are incorrectly set for the battery, the battery will either under or over charge.

The only way is as Farhan has suggested above, that of observing the voltage rise. A surer method is to observe the charging current going into the battery. That should start with about 2 Amps and gradually taper down to few milli-amps (thousandth of an Ampere) after about 5-6 hours.

Regards