Playing PAL games on NTSC Nintendo Wii

I just bought a Nintendo Wii which is NTSC.

Can I play PAL games on it?

If not then can it be modded so it can play PAL games?

And are NTSC Wii games available in Pakistan?

You can play pirated games from ANY region just by soft-modding your Wii.

Follow this guide:

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/96886-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

[quote=“Upsilon, post:2, topic:20522”]

You can play pirated games from ANY region just by soft-modding your Wii.

Follow this guide:

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/96886-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

[/quote]

So that means without soft modding, PAL games won't work?

What's the price of original and pirated NTSC games in Pakistan?

^ AFAIK, there's no other way to do that.

Original Wii games cost from 3-6k depending on the game.

Take a look here: http://www.theglobalmart.com/gaming-zone/nintendo/nintendo-wii-games

Pirated ones sell around 50 PKR / DVD.

I am going to try softmod my Wii using the following tutorial
http://www.softmodmywii.co.uk/how-to-softmod-the-wii/

As I understand I need to buy an SD Card to softmod Wii. My current firmware is 4.3 and Wii was asking me to update the system. Shall I update before softmodding or shall I not update and do softmod?

Any other things that I need to keep in mind while softmodding?

^ Go ahead and update it, even the guide you're reading tells you to. It's not really an issue because any variation of 4.3 FW is fully soft-moddable.

However, you need to check if your DVD-drive is the older one or new. I think there is a certain date after which the drives were patched not to work under soft-mod anymore. In that case, you'd be able to run only soft-copy of the game, i.e., through SD-card, flash or hdd. Even though I have older drive but have never used it; the HDD setup is sooooooo convenient, I have said goodbye to Wii-DVD forever. I'd suggest you do the same. The portable USB powered HDD would work fine.

BTW, I do not use it; my 7-year old son does :)

[quote=“unikorn, post:7, topic:20522”]

However, you need to check if your DVD-drive is the older one or new. I think there is a certain date after which the drives were patched not to work under soft-mod anymore. In that case, you'd be able to run only soft-copy of the game, i.e., through SD-card, flash or hdd. Even though I have older drive but have never used it; the HDD setup is sooooooo convenient, I have said goodbye to Wii-DVD forever. I'd suggest you do the same. The portable USB powered HDD would work fine.

BTW, I do not use it; my 7-year old son does :)

[/quote]

:D

Most probably my drive is the newer one because I bought the system 4 days ago.

So basically you download games or copy from DVD into hard disk and then play it from there?

The current firmware in my Wii is 4.3 but when ever I try to access Shop or Netflix channel it says that there is a system update available so I should update my system before proceeding.
Isn't 4.3 latest version so why is it asking me to update?
Or is it just a minor version (I read it on some website) and I can safely update it?

If you have bought it brand new, then probably it is the newer one. You could check it by finding the relevant thread on wiihacks. They'll have complete info there. Cannot open URL here as blocked (office IT policy). To identify your drive chip you can try this website http://www.wiidrives.com/list.

You got it right. Best way is to download the ISO or wbfs (wii specific) format (I prefer wbfs due to its smaller size. You can also convert iso to wbfs by using wbfs file manager). It's a single file so you just put it on disk drive and use a utility like USB Loader to play those files directly from HDD. These utilities even have their own game management system, so you can download cover and disk arts and it will have a nice way of presenting these files.

Just check piratebay or kat. You'll find hundreds of games there. Gamespot has nice section on Wii where games are given ratings by users and reviewers so you can check there before downloading a game.

Do not bother about updating as it does not matter. In fact, the mod guide recommends downgrading system menu to 4.1. The newer updates were never meant to bring any improvement in interface, but these were just ways to stop the soft-hacking/modding.

I just checked and my serial number is not present in Wii Drive Chip database.

which means it must be the latest of the latest :D

If I download NTSC game and burn it on DVD, can I play it on Wii even if it is not moded? My Wii is NTSC. Here's one site I found where Wii ISOs are available but I am not sure about it.

http://www.wiiiso.com/download/torrents-usa.php

^ No. You NEED to mod your Wii to play pirated games. You need to mod ANY console to play pirated games.

Why did you even ask for instructions on modding your Wii if you were not going to mod it anyway?

Anyways, you either mod it and play pirated games, or you buy legit games. That's how it goes.

And as I said earlier, even if you mod it, you may not be able to play "burnt" DVDs, because the newer drives have been ripped of the ability to play burnt DVDs. You need mod-chip/hard-modding to enable it to play such DVDs.

TechMan

Bro, you need to mod that Wii in order to play pirated games its simple.
But in other case if you don't want to mod, then you don't need to burn the DVDs, you need to BURN that Wii. -_-

hehe!

so that means modding is the way to go.

I would have modded it right now but I am not in Pakistan and won't be able to get my hands on it until next 2 months.

By the way are there any shops in Karachi that will mod it? How much they charge?

Are you asking about soft-modding or chip-modding? Soft-modding, you can do it anytime yourself. If you are too afraid to do it, I can do it for you. You'll just have to pay for a meet-up lunch at Burger King / Fat Burger / any other good outlet of your choice in Clifton :P. Chip-modding I do not recommend as burning DVDs would be a hassle. Just download, copy to flash and run from that, or if you want a better setup, get a portable hard disk of any size.

[quote=“unikorn, post:18, topic:20522”]

Are you asking about soft-modding or chip-modding? Soft-modding, you can do it anytime yourself. If you are too afraid to do it, I can do it for you. You'll just have to pay for a meet-up lunch at Burger King / Fat Burger / any other good outlet of your choice in Clifton :P. Chip-modding I do not recommend as burning DVDs would be a hassle. Just download, copy to flash and run from that, or if you want a better setup, get a portable hard disk of any size.

[/quote]

Yeah I want to do soft modding. But I am not in Pakistan right now so we can't meet up. But if you bricked my Wii then I will beat you with same brick :P

Hmmm, I saw that in the post above (and also from your location); the offer is for when you are in Karachi. And obviously if you wanted to do it yourself, you would not be asking for a modding service, would you?

Don't worry, Wii is very difficult to brick unless you are really really dumb :D. To date I have modded several Wii consoles without a single problem. One even had a wifi password protection, which I had to look up the internet to break the password. Why wifi access was needed: to get machine's MAC address which is needed for the exploit.