Planning to visit Malaysia - need some tips

hi guys,

i am planning to visit Malaysia in Oct 2009 - need some first hand experiences from people who have already traveled.

any tips

how long does it take them to issue a visit visa?

how much money should i take with me (i would be traveling with my wife)

thanks in advance

Malaysian visit Visa will be granted in a week

I haven't visited Malaysia myself but there have been some significant instances of fraud emanating from there. Do visit but be particularly careful about trusting any one with money unless you already have an established relationship with some one there.

The most important tips are

1- Once you are out of the Pakistani immigration dont trust anyone.

2- Keep a copies of your and your spouse passport, ticket and visa back at home.

3- In every hotel there will a locker in your room or counter, keep passports, tickets over there while roaming around in the cities. They are most safe there.

4- Always keep 100$ as safe deposit in any secret place of clothes like jeans inner belt or shoe inner base etc.

5- It better to have a credit card or debit card for hotel payments.

6- http://travel.yahoo.com/ is the best websites for reviews and hotel deals.

7- I normally go an have a one day booking and then roam around and try to find better deal in the city.

8- Try to get a hotel with free breakfast, you will really enjoy this.

9- Try to convert as little money from airport as you always get the worst rate.

10- Finally, find the bus that will take you near your hotel location. As airports are usually far from City Center and it cost you a lot.

11-www.airasia.com is the budget airline if you plan to travel in other countries as well.

12- Do update your travel experience as I m also looking forward for the trip with my Family after Ramazan. Insha'Allah\

Any other information contact me through email

Are there any reputed reliable tourism companies , that arrange such trips etc ? I have been planning to visit Thailand later this year with my wife, was wondering if arranging everything on your own is good idea or letting all traveling , hoteling etc to some company ends up being more easy and still not very expensive (as they arrange it for a bigger group of people).

For Malaysia don't know much but yes getting Visa for Malaysia has never been difficult or time taking as far as I know. May be some other members have more information.

Update : just seeing your post '/\ /\/ /\ /\/\' (whats you name bro :) ) after doing mine, nice info to start with.

My Friend went to malysia, he got his visa in 10 days.Malysia is a big place for fraud, as he got kicked in his *** when someone took away all the money with only left ot call back home. So BE ALRET!

And constantly check the currency rates. And you should get a check on the place where you are going to stay before you go there.

Try keeping roadmap with you as it helps alot if you're lost. Take a note on all important numbers.

Learn some common word spoken in malysia.It will be much betterthat you have a contact there. And Never ever forget to take a camera with you as going malysia without a camera.....chcchchch!

Special Note:

Always wear a seat belt and belt in your pants(always be alert about 2nd one)! And take ایک کلو چنے، ایک لوٹا اور ایک تکیہ۔

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

My Friend went to malysia, he got his visa in 10 days.Malysia is a big place for fraud, as he got kicked in his *** when someone took away all the money with only left ot call back home. So BE ALRET!

And constantly check the currency rates. And you should get a check on the place where you are going to stay before you go there.

Try keeping roadmap with you as it helps alot if you’re lost. Take a note on all important numbers.

Learn some common word spoken in malysia.It will be much betterthat you have a contact there. And Never ever forget to take a camera with you as going malysia without a camera…chcchchch!

Special Note:

Always wear a seat belt and belt in your pants(always be alert about 2nd one)! And take ایک کلو چنے، ایک لوٹا اور ایک تکیہ۔

[/quote]

can u share the experience of your friend for every1s knowledge

I'd ask him details and update as quickly possible.

@bart_simpson

A few days ago Xainnadeem stated in one of the threads that he is planning to go to malaysia or dubai soon. (maybe in december) So anyway, i think you should ask him. Maybe you two can go together, it'll be safer then. (for both of you) :)

i have read some reviews on various internet forums - i do know about frauds - it is expected - living in karachi has told alot about trusting any one.

but thanks for the tips - all of you guys - i will be visiting in Oct 2009 - so will you guys posted

i read visa normally takes 4 days

i am planning to get hotel reserved before i leave

Thanks

Are there any reputed reliable tourism companies , that arrange such trips etc ? I have been planning to visit Thailand later this year with my wife, was wondering if arranging everything on your own is good idea or letting all traveling , hoteling etc to some company ends up being more easy and still not very expensive (as they arrange it for a bigger group of people).

For Malaysia don’t know much but yes getting Visa for Malaysia has never been difficult or time taking as far as I know. May be some other members have more information.

Update : just seeing your post ‘/\ // /\ //’ (whats you name bro :) ) after doing mine, nice info to start with.

[/quote]

Well, My name is Anam Qayyum Mr.

I have been traveling abroad since the age of 18, now I am 34.

Mostly the trips were of business nature. I have an experience of lost ticket and also mugging of my friends wallet in Dubai in 1999.

Traveling teach you a lot especially when you are abroad.

As far Thailand is concerned, I prefer to stay in Indra Regent Hotel. it cost you around 40$ and if you can afford to go high my 2nd choice is Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok it cost you around $55.

The best part it is in the clean family area with a lot of shopping malls and cinemas and night life, above all Sky Train is also close, which make it easy to roam around the city easily.

In thailand, KFC is not halal, but a few dishes of McDonald are halal.

I guess it enough for today

Well, My name is Anam Qayyum Mr.

I have been traveling abroad since the age of 18, now I am 34.

Mostly the trips were of business nature. I have an experience of lost ticket and also mugging of my friends wallet in Dubai in 1999.

Traveling teach you a lot especially when you are abroad.

As far Thailand is concerned, I prefer to stay in Indra Regent Hotel. it cost you around 40$ and if you can afford to go high my 2nd choice is Holiday Inn Silom Bangkok it cost you around $55.

The best part it is in the clean family area with a lot of shopping malls and cinemas and night life, above all Sky Train is also close, which make it easy to roam around the city easily.

In thailand, KFC is not halal, but a few dishes of McDonald are halal.

I guess it enough for today

[/quote]

Thanks Anam , I appreciate , useful info.

planning to stay at Impiana KLCC Hotel - located close to KLCC

any one ever stayed there - i am planning to book my air tickets and hotel using American Express Travel services (i haven't checked their physical store at Shaheen Complex Karachi) yet

anyone experience with dealing with American Express Travel services?

besides hotel and air tickets - how much daily budget i should be looking at

any help would be appreciated

Try getting the info from tripadvisor and wikitravel

I went to Malaysia with my wife as well. It's a beautiful place. I liked KL better than some of the cities in United States. I planned my trip with a trusted travel agent. Visited Langkawi, KL and Genting Highlands. Do NOT missing Langkawi at all! It's absolutely breath taking. You might wana stay away from the hotel infested areas in Langkawi. If you go there, try to book a hotel called Mutiara Burau Bay. It's away from the main city, in the forest and by the bay. You live in your own personal seperate cabin instead of a convetional room. KL is a great place to hang out. I loved it so much, that I was planning to move there... permanently!

When I went to Malaysia, they had landing visas so didn't really have any issue with the Visa. We mostly used our credit cards but we did keep dollars and ringets with us. You might wana scout a little to get a better conversion rate. Like at KL airport, you'd have an option of many money changers but their rates differ. So you might wana do a little research before you give them your $.

Have a safe and wonderful trip and try to leave a great impression of Pakistan. Sadly, many Pakistanies do not really care about these things and become cheap !@#$%^&* the minute they land into foreign hands.