PEMRA hires Swiss consultant for DTH licensing - Published in Dawn

Happy to read this in today's Dawn. Your thoughts and comments please. Any idea, how much time whole process would take?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) has issued a Letter of Intent (LoI) to hire a Swiss firm for initiation of Direct to Home (DTH) licensing in Pakistan

Pemra in its ad published in newspapers on Oct 30, 2014 had solicited proposals from international firms to hire a consultant. Five firms submitted their proposals by the closing date of Dec 1.

A Pemra committee after evaluating technical and financial bids in the light of the PPRA rules recommended M/s Digital Strategy Consulting Services Switzer-land after the authority approved their bid at a meeting held on Jan 16, 2015.

The Swiss firm will assist Pemra in preparing eligibility criteria, licence template, bidding methodology, determination of base price, recommendation on number of licences to be issued and the duration of licences, etc.

The DTH service is a digital platform for distribution of TV channels from satellite directly to homes through small dish antennas.

With the launching of DTH in Pakistan the subscribers would have much more access to high quality TV channels embedded with digital features like parental control, electronic programme guide, internet and video on demand, said a press release.

Published in Dawn, March 2nd, 2015

[/quote]

good move i just hope that the move didn't take place because someone in the gov found a loophole in this deal to fill their pockets.............. trying to be positive here.

^^^Just another waiting game. it will never happen trust me. Last year a Russian company GS Group showed interest for starting DTH service in Pakistan with local partnership and they met gov officials. what happened no one knows <_< and i guess same company also declared their plans for Bangladesh which will happen offcourse. even Nepal and Maldives have their own DTH services. So Pakistan will be the only South Asian country with no DTH service. such a shame -_-

This one looks different. Earlier, companies approached official authorities asking for permission to launch.

This time it is the officials seeking foreign company to establish a framework for DTH services.

So, this year will probably mark the launch of DTH services in Pakistan.

^^^ It never happens because government officials don't find good ways to do corruption in certain projects, or a good minister is in between all the transactions.

As soon as they will find the appropriate time to do that it will be done. the excuse of technical limitations and no equipment is just a bullshit excuse thrown toward nation every time.

A Country having a Atomic Bomb, but no electricity, no justice, corrupt-ignorant-racist- government officials, extremism, deteriorating health and law situation will most likely to go downhill very soon.

The only thing that is keeping this country safe is Allah and Some Good people.

As Kamran said so true, most likely new corridors for corruption will open by this

all telecom operator for sure going to get DTH license (Just like India) lets see how things goes on

DTH will cost more than the current cable wala, Secondly our 80% tv channels are news ch who will pay thousands to get headache? (not me) other 20% is all cr@p... and most importantly there won't be adult packages for youth to watch, then what DTH is for? DTH can only be successful if country media/ cinema is very demanding in public, if its gonna be p@ki DTH loaded with indian cr@p then I'm happy with dishtv or airtel tv

DTH will cost more than the current cable wala, Secondly our 80% tv channels are news ch who will pay thousands to get headache? (not me) other 20% is all cr@p... and most importantly there won't be adult packages for youth to watch, then what DTH is for? DTH can only be successful if country media/ cinema is very demanding in public, if its gonna be p@ki DTH loaded with indian cr@p then I'm happy with dishtv or airtel tv

since we have very bad copyright law for TV channels so there will not be any good package to offer for Pakistanis through DTH except all the Pakistani channels

First of all DTH is for those who dont have access to cable or even terrestrial transmission. or looking for a quality service if not happy with cable. Second pakistani drama channels are far better than any indian crappy sas baho channel otherwise Zee will never launch a channel dedicated to pakistani dramas which got tremendous popularity in India.

Third yes news channels are all we left with but again we have a choice not to watch them, thats what i do atleast. then there will be other international channels too catering to all the genres which is a must for any DTH. except Adult which isn't even allowed in South Africa and a DTH operator Star Times has been fighting a case in court for years now to let them show some adult channels at premium rate with strict age and other restriction but they were refused every time.

Even if the DTH services are priced a bit higher than cable services, they will still be welcomed because cable reception quality is poor, while DTH services will be digital transmission with DVD-like quality for ALL channels.

''Adult'' is not all what the Pakistani youth is after. There are other preferable ''interests'' like Sports, movies and music as well.

^^^Exactly. plus i forgot to add DTH is not an area or city specific service. it can be accessible anywhere in the country within the footprint. so its more like a mobile service so one can carry stb and small dish if they decide to move from one place or city to another without loosing subscription. getting into a hassle to get new cable connection is a nightmare some times.

at least there will be more premium HD english movies channels that what i am after + discovery HD etc

Also, I'd like to say that adult channels shouldn't really be a priority... Because if it is, then you really need to get a wife. Or a husband.

That said, I know you can get adult channels on some DTH services, but don’t expect it to be there everywhere - these channels are very highly priced (because of the volume/viewer ship ratio) since they need to make a living too, so pricing would be rather prohibitive, where these are present.

Also, there’s the internet if you really want to watch such content.

Why would anyone want adult channels on dth or cable?

*cough xhamster..*Cough cough kat.ph. *cough..

* Dies of coughing from tuberclosis.

*cough.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:15, topic:21953”]

[/quote]

in desi we call them "Gandi Zeniyat" :P

this remind me of something.

when i was kid there was a boy in my school class who ruined our childhood by saying that after 3 at night PTV broadcast "p#rn", off course nobody dared to wake up and switch tv 3 at night at that time because of parents and family.

this remind me of something.

when i was kid there was a boy in my school class who ruined our childhood by saying that after 3 at night PTV broadcast "p#rn", off course nobody dared to wake up and switch tv 3 at night at that time because of parents and family.

[/quote]

I remember M-net and Movie Magic days. many nights wasted on that :P but PTV?? seriously?? :o

[/quote]

Actually its another type of "Nasha" :P if you access Hotbird (satellite) with card sharing then you would know those sites are for kids ;)

Anyway topic is going elsewhere. so we just stick to it :)

One thing that DTH can not beat is the "kunda" system on cable or sharing one cable on multiple TV sets :D

yeah... even the new digital cable box the cable people are now providing is one box for one tv.. and with each box costing 4.5k, this shiit is seriously expensive..

Ptcl pussycats offers IPTV with the monthly 449rs rate but in reality the taxes on broadband and iptv are more than 700rs.. Wht a ripOFF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“ShuAK, post:17, topic:21953”]

I remember M-net and Movie Magic days. many nights wasted on that :P but PTV?? seriously?? :o

[/quote]

i don't know if in 1996 or 97 these channels exist, but i remember cable and dish was a luxury back then even in karachi.