PCI SATA Card?

Hi

My onboard SATA ports arent working and I want to buy PCI SATA card that can hookup 1 or 2 SATA drives. I also want to buy around 250GB SATA hardisk of any brand. So anyone knows from where can I buy PCI SATA card in Islamabad / Rawalpindi? and the price range of both cards and hardisk?? 3rd, if anyone of you are using PCI SATA cards, do u know if computer can boot from SATA card just like it does from onboard SATA Ports?

Thanks

Zammy

i dont think the pci port is capable of transfering data at sata speeds i.e. 3gb/s

u can try sata to ide converter and use that sata hard drive in ide port.........

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i dont think the pci port is capable of transfering data at sata speeds i.e. 3gb/s

u can try sata to ide converter and use that sata hard drive in ide port…

[/quote]

PCI SATA cards are capable of transferring data upto 3GB/sec and more than that ( SATA II) so this isnt the issue here. SATA isnt a rocket science, its simply like some VIA chipset on a card instead of fixed on the mainboard which many modern motherboards offer in addition to normal 2 or 4 SATA ports. Cards like these are available in other countries.

Here, WHat I want to know is IF these cards are available anywhere in Islamabad, Rawalpindi.

Regarding your suggestion abt convertor, ty for the suggestion but I want to Buy New SATA disks as well so convertor isnt an option for me.

u can try sata to ide converter and use that sata hard drive in ide port…

[/quote]

yar can u tell me abt this data transfer rate…on vista v can see the transfer rate of data …lik in progress bar while transferring or copying data frm one drive to other v can see the data transfer rate and here mine wd 500gb sata 2 is transferring data at 15-20mbps…almost 1gb in 1min…so why it is called 3gb/second???/

yar like 1gbps lan never gives full speed same way 3gb/s sata doesnt give tht full speed....

soon v r gona find sata 6gb/s as i heard on some tech news....

and may be that speed u r telling must be inside the same hard drive thats y its slow cuz in same hard drive the same head has to read and write on same disk but in 2 diferent hard drive speed difers alot cuz at one time one head reads continuosly and other writes continuosly so fast performance

yar can u tell me abt this data transfer rate…on vista v can see the transfer rate of data …lik in progress bar while transferring or copying data frm one drive to other v can see the data transfer rate and here mine wd 500gb sata 2 is transferring data at 15-20mbps…almost 1gb in 1min…so why it is called 3gb/second???/

[/quote]

One of the biggest confusion that circles among many ppl…its not 3GB/ sec , it is 3.0 Gbit/s which ppl here read as 3GB, Gbit stands for Giga bits not the Giga Bytes. Now calculate how many bits are in one byte

yar like 1gbps lan never gives full speed same way 3gb/s sata doesnt give tht full speed…

soon v r gona find sata 6gb/s as i heard on some tech news…

and may be that speed u r telling must be inside the same hard drive thats y its slow cuz in same hard drive the same head has to read and write on same disk but in 2 diferent hard drive speed difers alot cuz at one time one head reads continuosly and other writes continuosly so fast performance

[/quote]

Guys stop confusing Giga Bits and Giga Bytes. THEY are different.Stop expecting the Sata 6gb/sec to transfer files of 6GB in one second as its again Giga bits not Giga Bytes

he he 6GB in one second? reminds me of Star Trek :lol:

beam me up scotty!:cool:

he he 6GB in one second? reminds me of Star Trek :lol:

beam me up scotty!:cool:

[/quote]

lol right, Not possible at all unless its for super computer :)

anyways guys , please stick to the Topic of the POST i.e PCI SATA cards,

One of the biggest confusion that circles among many ppl…its not 3GB/ sec , it is 3.0 Gbit/s which ppl here read as 3GB, Gbit stands for Giga bits not the Giga Bytes. Now calculate how many bits are in one byte

[/quote]

oh yes thnx…i was among those who consider it as 3gb/sec

^

its is 3gb/s or 3gbps not 3GB/s or 3gBps

the main prob is of big B and small b

the biG B stands for bytes and small b for bits so

i have not written any thing wrong above there its some people who have read it wrong

^

its is 3gb/s or 3gbps not 3GB/s or 3gBps

the main prob is of big B and small b

the biG B stands for bytes and small b for bits so

i have not written any thing wrong above there its some people who have read it wrong

[/quote]

Well U did use the small g and if u look on the internet, The way to write SATA transfer rate is 3Gb/sec, Capital G and small b…

2nd , to another person u gave the example of LAN speed, although there was no comparison. It was like u r telling him LAN is also I GB and SATA is 3GB but we never get full speed…

Anyways AGAIN, THIS POST IS ABOUT PCI SATA CARDS SO ONLY POST RELATED TO THE TOPIC. SATA SPEED CAN BE A NEW THREAD IF ANYONE WANTS TO DISCUSS

I don't know about PCI SATA cards but there are PCI RAID cards with SATA/SATAII ports and these are expansive. I have not seen any in karachi market at least.

What I have seen is a small contraption worth around Rs 400 that allowes conversion between IDE & SATA. Needless to mention, this only allows convenience of connecting IDE drives to SATA ports (maybe vice versa as well) but the transfer rates are limited to IDE speeds.

I wonder why the on board SATA ports are not working? It could be a driver or BIOS option problem. For example, if the on board SATA is setup as RAID in BIOS, windows will not recognize it without proper drivers. The reason is that MB SATA ports are psuedo-hardware i.e. they need software drivers to work unlike PCI RAID cards which are completely hardware controlled raid cards.

Hope it helps

kuya, that's the cheapo-plastic gadget (Rs. 400/-)

SATA => IDE, that most of the vendors in Uni and

Techno City know of and will try to push on you.

The SATA PCI card is not listed on the Galaxy website.

Most of the techs there, don't even know that they

have it. I got lucky that there was this young guy

(Ifrahim) there, who knew about it and insisted that

the depo guy find it. And after an hour they did dig it

out from somewhere.

I was surprised that more people aren't looking for

and demanding this card, since broadband and cheap-

(er) SATA rates will eventually push people to buy

more SATAs than their mobos can handle.

Sheikh 'Dasht-e-Veran' Chilli

Yea PCI SATA cards are indeed a very good thing. They arent really expensive as u can see on this website www.satacard.com ( its not Pakistani website ), but issue here is Whoeva Ive asked in Islamabad/ rwp abt such cards, shop keepers start looking at me like I am asking for engine of UFO lolzzzzz..... Its simply they have no idea what that is or to put them in their shops.

Try IKC or MMM Traders.

I saw one at HB computers, but well are you willing to pay that much?

@sheikh_chilli

Glad to know you found it. Care to share how much did it cost you?

@zammy

Nice website you shared. Thanks

It was Rs. 950/- from Galaxy. But that was

before the dollar shot through the roof, so

like other stuff, expect to pay a little more.

Sheikh 'Rokra' Chilli

Make sure of one thing if u buy this card, Are these PCI SATA cards capable to let your PC Boot from the hardisk that will be connected to PCI SATA Cards Ports. It depends if that card has builtin BIOS or not, Some has , Some doesnt.IF u just wanna add extra hard drives then without BIOS card will be OK for u