Pc slowed after converting from fat32 to ntfs

I had my c: as fat32 coz i sometimes had to use win98.

I had to convert it to ntfs as my torrents kept getting corrupted every other day because of the loadshedding. I converted without formatting. Now my pc keeps getting slower and slower, also after a power failure windows does not run scandisk anymore. It just starts without scanning. Something must have gone wrong :/ i dont want to format really. any clues?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I had to convert it to ntfs as my torrents kept getting corrupted every other day because of the loadshedding. I converted without formatting. Now my pc keeps getting slower and slower, also after a power failure windows does not run scandisk anymore. It just starts without scanning. Something must have gone wrong :confused: i dont want to format really. any clues?

[/quote]

its not related to ntfs! its your wehem

try registry cleaning software!

and you can manually do a checkdisk too right click the drive you want to check for error and check it!

i cant, i get this message, after that i have to restart then it will run scandisk once.

i cant, i get this message, after that i have to restart then it will run scandisk once.

http://i33.tinypic.com/a1tw7p.jpg

[/quote]

yeah it does the scan after a restart if the disk is in use!

well sp2 onwards windows has a intelligent disk scan feature it doesn’t do a disk check after every improper shutdown instead when it thinks there are some corrupted files

my pc never used to have disk scan but now after every improper shutdown it happens coz i have not formatted it for while now!

same here... installed like 3 years ago with clean fresh new hdd.. happened 4 or 5 time that it closed accidentally and when switched on it never ever performed discs check. i got a bit pissed, but well ups is my friend. and well if i want to i have to do as you are doing. click, get the box click yes and then restart.

I had to convert it to ntfs as my torrents kept getting corrupted every other day because of the loadshedding. I converted without formatting. Now my pc keeps getting slower and slower, also after a power failure windows does not run scandisk anymore. It just starts without scanning. Something must have gone wrong :confused: i dont want to format really. any clues?

[/quote]

Normally, you don’t have to do manual scandisk (chkdsk) in NTFS. Because if Windows sets “dirty bit” while writing data in cache then it will automatically scans (auto-chkdsk) on next boot of Windows.

Windows can’t perform manual chkdsk while the drive (“partition” will be more precise here) is in use (especially if page-file is on that partition). It will schedule to perform manual chkdsk (scandisk) on next boot. That is normal behavior of NT based Windows, nothing to worry about.

NTFS is far more safer than FAT32. If you have converted FAT32 to NTFS than it surely will be slow because of data becomes fragmented. Run defrag to reduce fragmentation in data on harddisk. However, MFT of NTFS may be split in pieces which can reduce performance in high demand of multiple (hundreds) of files.

Therefore, as my experience taught me, I shall suggest you to backup your data on some other hard-disk or burn it on CD/DVD or copy it to Flash disk, and then re-partition and re-format your harddisk directly to NTFS to enjoy the full speed and reliability of NTFS. However, if you don’t want to do this then just defrag your current NTFS partitions. :)

Good luck. Do inform us about your speed gain after defragmentation. :)

Fe-Aman Allah.

Hmm i thought windows was allways supposed to run scan disk after every improper shut down, been on fat32 too long i guess :)

thanks guys. it does seem a little less slow after uninstalling some softwares.

maybe your HDD is about to give way to the limitless power breakdowns. do monitor its s.m.a.r.t status regularly to protect urself frm data loss