Payoneer cards will no longer work in Pakistan!

I received the following email today:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Due to a change in requirements from our regulators, as of June 1, 2010 Payoneer cards will be blocked for transactions in the countries listed by the US government as having strategic Anti Money Laundering (AML) deficiencies. This change will affect card usage in the following countries: Angola, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Turkmenistan and Sao Tome and Principe.

If your card is in use in one of the countries listed, we encourage you to use all funds by May 31, while transactions are still possible in these countries.

Please note that beyond May 31 your card will continue to be fully functional in all countries not banned by the US government, and we will be happy to load payments to the card without any change.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that the Payoneer card will continue to provide you with valuable service.

[/quote]

I did some research and I guess their claims on AML deficiencies are based on the FATF reports. Check this out:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/31208861/FATF-Public-Statementandnbsp/

The FATF welcomes Pakistan's efforts to ensure that its Anti-Money Laundering

Ordinance (AMLO) remains in effect and to implement a permanent AML/CFT

framework through legislation. However, FATF remains concerned regarding the

ML/FT risks posed by Pakistan and reaffirms its public statement of 28 February 2008

regarding these risks. In particular, the FATF expresses concern that Pakistan’s Anti-

Money Laundering Ordinance (AMLO) will expire on 26 March 2010. The FATF

strongly urges Pakistan to implement a permanent AML/CFT framework before the

expiration of the AMLO and strongly encourages Pakistan to establish a

comprehensive AML/CFT framework.

[/quote]

I am not sure if it's only limited to some or all kind of transactions. I have contacted Payoneer asking whether or not it applies or all (including ATM withdrawals) or only few type of transactions. Awaiting their reply.

IMHO, pretty disappointing stuff.

P.S. I seriously doubt any or all type of Paypal BS that ProPakistani was talking about out of thin air after reading this.

What not to expect when Faisal Shahzad (Pakistani-American citizen) type people are caught in connection with bombings and terrorism. When courts and investigation agencies use delaying tactics in money laundring cases e.g khanani and kalia.

We can only expect worst being a citizen of this country.

This is something really very bad for Pakistani freelancers who found Payoneeer as an alternative Payment method to PayPal.

ProPakistan is just bullshitting about PayPal (when existing service providers are kicking our ass due to expired money laundring regulations then how PayPal can enter this country).

What the hell all these !@#$%^&* sitting in parliament are doing? They cannot even renew an expired law in time.

YAFOD! *

Ofcourse this was going to happen. The biggest money launderers, looters and plunderers are in the current government. It would be a suckers bet if anyone bets on them being interested in curtailing their means and methods of corruption.

YAEOD: Yet Another Fruit Of Democracy.

Here are few links regarding Pakistan's Atni-Money Laundering ordinance expiration,

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/fin-2010-a002.html

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=229154

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\02\19\story_19-2-2010_pg7_22

this is really bad....why does it only happen to us Pakistanis????? out of Angola, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Turkmenistan and Sao Tome and Principe, I think Pakistanis were the biggest users of this card...

What is the government even doing???? Why are we going backwards???? One more facility gone!

so now we have to withdraw every amount and throw the card away?

I am so disappointed :(

this is really bad…why does it only happen to us Pakistanis??? out of Angola, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Turkmenistan and Sao Tome and Principe, I think Pakistanis were the biggest users of this card…

What is the government even doing??? Why are we going backwards??? One more facility gone!

so now we have to withdraw every amount and throw the card away?

I am so disappointed :(

[/quote]

This happened due to negligence at end of Pakistani law makers.

Pakistani Anti-Money Laundering Ordinance expired on March 26, 2010 and Pakistani senate was not able to approve the new anti-money laundering law (pre-approved by national assembly) on March 18th.

No one is our enemy but our own government and law makers.

[/quote]

100% truth. :(

^That's true..

Believe me... I am feeling ashamed being between the countries(I never heard of). Yep! Ethiopia and Turkmenistan are which I know about...

Any ways. I already didn't believe that ProPakistani story about the PayPal Progress. and now this is the big point to Question if we are loosing already available solutions then why PayPal would drop in...

This is really bad that it's gonna happen with Payoneer service in Pakistan.

So about Govt. every one of you just knows about them... Best of Luck we all....

And to Govt. $%#$%#$#$%#$%#$#$% :o

This happened due to negligence at end of Pakistani law makers.

Pakistani Anti-Money Laundering Ordinance expired on March 26, 2010 and Pakistani senate was not able to approve the new anti-money laundering law (pre-approved by national assembly) on March 18th.

[/quote]

extending the cause…

And negligence about serious matters happens due to

"their personal matters to be solved first and then the matters of Pakistan"

and their personal matters never end being solved and never the turn comes for the matters to be solved for Pakistan

thats sad and irritating news , i am using payoneer for 60% of my online transactions :( , time to rush to Dubai or some other country .....

I thought we were going to hear good news like "Paypal now available in Pakistan" instead of bad news i.e. "Payoneer discontinuing services in Pakistan" as time progresses. I think we (Pakistan) are going backwards in time, instead of going forward. All other countries are going forward and India specially is going to be a lot ahead of us!

thats sad and irritating news , i am using payoneer for 60% of my online transactions :( , time to rush to Dubai or some other country …
[/quote]

I was using it for 100% of my online transactions. I was making Payments and Receiving Payments through Payoneer. Now I will have to use a credit card to make payments and receive payments by check.

Changes my whole payment/transaction method!

*&%% this government!

There was a hope for Paypal to start its services in PAK but it seems like they won't ever.

'The Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Ordinance will lapse on March 26, 2010 as the bill was not passed by the upper house of parliament, which was prorogued recently, shattering all hopes that Islamabad would come out of the list of countries vulnerable to money laundering.'

'The official sources said the National Assembly had already passed the AML bill but the bill could not be passed from the Senate. '

'It may be recalled that the FATF had given Pakistan February 2010 as deadline for formal conversion of the Anti Money Laundering (AML) Ordinance into the Act of Parliament. Now, the FATF is scheduled to meet at Amsterdam in June 2010, and the passage of the Anti-Money Laundering and Combating Terrorist Financing Act from parliament before that could help Pakistan improve its international ranking.'

From: http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=229154

I don't think it will ever be passed in the present government.

thats sad and irritating news , i am using payoneer for 60% of my online transactions :( , time to rush to Dubai or some other country …
[/quote]

One of my friends is in Thailand and I’m seriously planning to move to Bangkok after this.

Imagine if Pakistanis get involved in any terror plan like 9/11 and US put economic sanctions then you will not even have old good Western Union.

Everything in Pakistan is going down hill and with a snowball effect.

This is absolutely depressing, not to mention further disillusioning for me. Misfortune after misfortune, that's the life of a Pakistani citizen nowadays.

Oh my GOD, received the same email today. I have $425 in my payoneer account.

Can anyone guide me how to withdraw!.

Oh my GOD, received the same email today. I have $425 in my payoneer account.

Can anyone guide me how to withdraw!.

[/quote]

Use your Payoneer card. Withdraw like you normally would? Go to an MCB, Citibank or Barclays ATM.

One of my friends is in Thailand and I’m seriously planning to move to Bangkok after this.

Imagine if Pakistanis get involved in any terror plan like 9/11 and US put economic sanctions then you will not even have old good Western Union.

Everything in Pakistan is going down hill and with a snowball effect.

[/quote]

I doubt something like that will happen since we are not Iran. But yeah, I have feared it at times in the past.

ATM maximum withdrawal limit is PKR 20,000. Is this limit applies to Payoneer card also?

Use your Payoneer card. Withdraw like you normally would? Go to an MCB, Citibank or Barclays ATM.

I doubt something like that will happen since we are not Iran. But yeah, I have feared it at times in the past.

[/quote]