Pakistani web surfers using mobiles?

Hey Guys,

I was reading today a post by sheikh_chilli and i thought to myself he might be posting from a mobile, cause his post was curling exactly all the way. That got me think. Are we moving towards mobiles as a platform for surfing the web IN PAKISTAN?

Intel is talking about big advances in mobile technology.. PTCL and KSC are becoming less dependable by the day. Do you think we were moving towards the use of mobiles as the platform for surfers in pakistan.?

Forget Pakistan, I haven't even seen it happen abroad. Internet on a handheld is inherently difficult to use with the small screen and keyboard (which is sometimes lacking altogether depending on the device). Sure people use it for Facebooking (e.g. with the blackberry/iphone facebook app), maybe checking email or stock quotes, but 'surfing' the internet in the true sense is a very frustrating experience on a mobile device.

Well I use the mobile to surf quite a bit...esp. when I am sitting somewhere waiting (which seems to happen quite a lot)...

but I don't type/post much using my mobile (Nokia 6233)...because it would take to long...but I think if I had something like a BlackBerry or more user friendly device for typing, I would probably use it to type as well...

plus with opera mini its almost as good as the real thing :)..probably the best software I've used on my s40 mobile...

The average pakistani.. Does not take full advantage of the current highend sites which would require a PC and high speed internet.. when you look at a good mobile that is designed for surfing... Its cheap to surf and it does not get effected if power goes.. I just feel its a better option for a average guy.. no?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Well I use the mobile to surf quite a bit…esp. when I am sitting somewhere waiting (which seems to happen quite a lot)…

but I don’t type/post much using my mobile (Nokia 6233)…because it would take to long…but I think if I had something like a BlackBerry or more user friendly device for typing, I would probably use it to type as well…

plus with opera mini its almost as good as the real thing :)…probably the best software I’ve used on my s40 mobile…

[/quote]

Thats what i’m thinking… i got e62!.. just when it came out… ;) and in Pakistan with unlimited gprs… its AMAZING!.. you can do everything with it but no flash sites… thats the only problem… otherwise its perfect!..

Yeah, I do sometimes browse WP on my N73. But even though it has quite large screen compared to other sets, the browsing experience is not that great. The formatting of the pages gets squeezed due to small screen size and I have to do a lot of scrolling to get to a particular part of the page.

Maybe the net surfing would be more intuitive on devices like iPhone because of their large touch screens. But that's a whole another generation of phones.

BTW, do you guys know of a phone that is optimized for internet use?

GPRS is just 500 rs unlimited and it's great service.I browse on mobile a lot..I use Blackberry Pearl and HTC TyTN II and browsing experience on both mobiles is great.Opera Mini is great.

To my experience e61, e61i and e62 are great web browsers just don't support flash. The large screens provide a perfect browsing experience. Iphone, i think might be a good browser but have not owned it or even tried it. Prices are dropping all the time for them in US so im guessing they must be getting cheaper by the minute in Pakistan. Blackberries, i have no idea on.

Wel acording to the present condition of load sheding in pakistan i like to use net on my mobile when lite iz off

i watch online[some time stored in mobile] movies on my mobile via my unlimited edge conection and it doesnt makes me feel any absence of lite

i also use net on it when lite iz of but when there iz lite i prefer pc

in my opinion cel phones with net conection are great way to figt boredom when u dont hav anything to do.. U can watch movies u can listen to international radio u can check ur mail or u can visit WP and coment on this post like i did

my friend has an E61 and he usually connects it to his laptop to browse the net. Although speed is not that good, but it is better than dial-up. This lets him browse anywhere, in the car, in a coffee shop, etc., which in my opinion, is a great feature.

my friend has an E61 and he usually connects it to his laptop to browse the net. Although speed is not that good, but it is better than dial-up. This lets him browse anywhere, in the car, in a coffee shop, etc., which in my opinion, is a great feature.
[/quote]

sory bro but v r talking abt surfing on mobile not thru mobile

CooL!.. do you guys know if e62 is available in market? That set i think is the best bang for the rupee.

man i would love to browse internet on a big screen phone like the iphone, browsing is as good as on pc with the landscape mode that these cell phone offer! but the typing is still pain in the rear

At Rs.15/MB, it is not exactly cheap unless you are on an unlimited data plan.

i remember opening my own site on my mobile i was trying the redirection code for the mobile site and was going to exit the browser as soon as i see the full version of my site opening but i forget to close it as i had put my mobile on the desk and 18 rupees were deducted from my account!

dont worry now you can open my site from my mobile i have setup the redirection code!

at 540 rs per month for unlimited EDGE, i've started liking mobile internet.

i do surf for like 25% of the time from my cell phone. Flash sites do not work, other than that its a good alternative (mainly caz we don't have power for like 20% of the day anyway)

Alot of ppl are turning to mobile internet now, using their cell phones.

About Sheikh Chilli posting in those paragraph sorta ways, i guess its his old habit to type like this caz ever since i've joined WP, he's been posting like this. i dont fink he's the kinda guy who's running his PC on a 640x480 res.

Surfing on mobile is alternat option but not for daily or for all websites. E71 is good phone and may be open flash too.

I was wondering how Opera Mini was magically loading pages which were not made for mobile phones, and doing it so quickly...Wikipedia has cleared that up :)

Unlike ordinary web browsers, Opera Mini fetches all content through a proxy server that reformats web pages into a format more suitable for small screens. A page is compressed, then delivered to the phone in a markup language called OBML (Opera Binary Markup Language).This compression process makes transfer time about two to three times faster and the pre-processing also smooths compatibility with web pages not designed for mobile phones.
[/quote]

^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_Mini

Hey Guys,

I was reading today a post by sheikh_chilli and i thought to myself he might be posting from a mobile, cause his post was curling exactly all the way. That got me think. Are we moving towards mobiles as a platform for surfing the web IN PAKISTAN?

Intel is talking about big advances in mobile technology… PTCL and KSC are becoming less dependable by the day. Do you think we were moving towards the use of mobiles as the platform for surfers in pakistan.?

[/quote]

I agree partially. Yes mobile internet usage is on the rise. And the companies have only begin to touch the potential… Wateen per hour offer is pretty good… And Virtually all the companies have edge in major cities and an unlimited data plan(I believe)…

And do not forget…At the moment we have the largest wiresless broadband network in the WORLD…!!!(Wimax,Am using it too as I type…)

We got Wateen WiMax as a backup because of our telephone went dead.. But my developers were had a hell of a time working with it.. Now im back in town and maxcom is working... and i don't even want to try the wateen knowing its bad... :P ill play with it when i have energy to fiddle with a bad isp.. :P

I don't know about your guys but i can NOT stand a bad isp.. idea that page does not load full or time out errors... drives me nuts..