Pakistani Law on Torrent trackers

Are Torrent trackers illegal according to Pakistani Law or not?

Ive been trying to find this out for a while but as you know not many people in Pakistan know much bout bittorrent. I am hoping some here may have the correct info.

Thanks

-NeM

BitTorrent technology is legal in almost all major countries of world. However, sharing of illegal content, whether using BitTorrent or any other P2P sharing, is a debatable thing. Many countries respect international copyright law, thus legal system of many countries don't allow sharing of illegal content using P2P systems.

Depending on how you read Pakistani law, either the entire internet is illegal (for allowing access to illegal content), or it's all legal. Depends!

I dont mean general P2p and sharing, I just meant to ask weather or not RUNNING a Torrent Tracker is illegal?

Ofcourse sharing of illegal content is Illegal in almost all countries but a Torrent tracker is a grey area as it doesnt actually hold the content that is being shared by users(legal or illegal).

Im actually owner of a Torrent tracker, we are currently hosted in CA where there is NO law against torrent trackers so its not illegal. But im curious what Pakistani Law has to say bout it...

Torrent Trackers are legal everywhere as there's nothing illegal about them. Sharing copyright material is illegal but thats not what a tracker is doing.

About pakistani law, i am sure there's nothing in their pages about p2p file sharing.

Pakistani Law accepts Common Wealth Law with some reservation. Thus Pakistani Law has to respect International Copyright Law. It's like VCR/VHS or DVD/CD, these technologies are legal. You can make backup (for example, TV shows) for personal collection but you can't distribute content that is copyrighted and if you don't have legal right to distribute it.

Therefore, BitTorrent technology (and Internet as a larger picture) also falls in Copyright Law. Anybody can use BitTorrent (or Internet as general) client or trackers within the boundaries of Pakistani Law. However, you'll break the Law when you trade illegal content (copyrighted content for which you don't have right to distribute/share).

In recent development in Germany and UK, legal systems are assessing whether to fine ISP and Hosting Company that allow illegal content. Especially in Germany where legal system is currently debating that if an ISP and/or Hosting Company knows that their connection is use for illegal content sharing then they should ban it or not.

If leading legal systems around the world find out that its ISP/Hosting Company's responsibility to stop usage of their services for illegal content sharing then soon in future Pakistan will also follow the suite. Thus maybe in future even you'll be legally allowed to run BitTorrent Tracker but you'll be held responsible if something illegal is trader using your tracker.

But right now, you can run BitTorrent client and/or tracker for "legal content sharing".

Fe-Aman Allah.

I think the question here should be " why there is a Pakistani Law ? lol :D

And I think KO's explanation pretty much fits for even international laws.... because piracy, p2p, e business, webs, forums of any sort are just a by-products of INTERNET.

The only justified way would be to terminate/destroy the internet. so than we don't have to decide whats right or whats wrong.

If not than, I think you have to have a wrong to recognize whats right and versa vice... thats the rule of this mortal world :|

I think the more important question is, does Pakistani law ever get enforced? Even for piracy, the government focused on the corporate community (which makes sense since normal users can't afford the original software costs).

LAW ?

Is there any law in pakistan ?

Recently govt. worked on cyber crime law, but i think they forget abt torrents. Whenever they will come to know they will demand some kharcha paani

pakistani law :) what pakistani law :)

Yea i know law isnt enforced here nor does anyone try to follow it, but im not really worried bout getting busted since thats highly unlikely here even if it was a crime. Its just something i havent seen discussed before, and you never know when shits gonna happen, if it does i may even move the tracker to PAkistan if i feel its safe here.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Therefore, BitTorrent technology (and Internet as a larger picture) also falls in Copyright Law. Anybody can use BitTorrent (or Internet as general) client or trackers within the boundaries of Pakistani Law. However, you'll break the Law when you trade illegal content (copyrighted content for which you don't have right to distribute/share).
[/quote]

No "Trade" is actually done by the tracker, it just MONITORS what is being traded by whom and provides information of which user has the data required by the other user.

If leading legal systems around the world find out that its ISP/Hosting Company's responsibility to stop usage of their services for illegal content sharing then soon in future Pakistan will also follow the suite. Thus maybe in future even you'll be legally allowed to run BitTorrent Tracker but you'll be held responsible if something illegal is trader using your tracker.
[/quote]

:-/ A tracker isnt a ISP/Hosting Company though. ISP's /Hosting COmpany are totally different thn trackers, its thr pipes through which the Illegal content is actually going through while on a tracker the Data NEVER hits the tracker, only information bout the data is sent through the torrent client. Now if someone is using their server as seedbox then yea that would totally be a different story, and the Hosting company would become responsible to ban the server holding illegal content...

There are hundreds of shopkeeper saling millions of CD's containg Unlicensed softwares (including Windows), so u dont have to be worried abt LAW in pakistan.

who following law over here ?

Musharraf ?

U should move ur traker to pakistan, atleast we will get benifitted :)

@K2Munda

If you cant understand WHY its being discussed then just Keep quite rather thn blabberin sh*t you dont know about! "i don't mean to be rude" but i am!

O and trust me its not About "Downloading Torrents". FFS i havent even downloaded much for months now.

You think Torrents/Piracy is taken lightly around the world? Just open google and search the net, you ll see how many people are getting sued for nuttin but crap.

Its always better to know if you can even defend what your doing if #$%# happens. I suggest you google bout RIAA, MPAA etc.

O and in no way am i trying to be "shareef" PMSL, what makes you say that?

hey man finish this topic here, i am right 100%.
[/quote]

^^ this is one of the reasons for the Problems in Pakistan and why its getting so Fuked Up, Everyone thinks they are 100% right without even knowing or thinking bout the matter.

I know its a human nature people subconsciously think they’re right bout what theyre doing, but thinking your right about something you dont even know about? Damn thats lame.

I understand the Problems of Pakistan more then you think. But it doesnt mean we are suppose to stop thinking bout everything else in the world (thats the exact reason Pakistan is still so behind). I thin youre one of those people, who on hearing something in Pakistan thats rare and say “Common its Pakistan not UK or America” <-- You probably heard people say that many times, infact you probably heard yourself say it more, if people keep thinking like that Pakistan will stay where it is for the comming century and your grandsons (assuming your not already an old man lol) will be saying the same #$%# to someone else :)

Try to think out of the box (if u have the capability to do so, doest look like it)

O and thr are ALOT worse problems in Pakistan then the ones youve mentioned, i assume you just wrote about the ones that you are affected by, that would just mean your self centered. I see you didnt even mention terrorism in Pakistan which is one of the biggest Problems of this time!

DELETED Where are the mods?? :-0 [sah] Right here. Stop swearing.

hey man finish this topic here, i am right 100%.

this country got bigger stuff to deal with than worry about piracy and if like you want to pay for everything retail then go ahead pay retail (two thumbs up for you).

1) there is no clean basic drinking water

2) laws are such that without any advance notification to hospitals in karachi wapda just shut off the power over money. you talk about rest of the world if this would have had happened in USA and anybody would have died in hospital due to this the higher ups of power company would been arrested for involuntary man slaughter in USA…

3) you talk about defending yourself from RIAA MPAA etc thats funny how old are you 15 years old or something. lock your doors before you go to sleep they are coming to get you!!!

so why you are wasting time with irrelevant topic you just started above.

[/quote]

Although I agree with you to some extent. It doesn’t make the topic any less relevant. Without any sort of laws to prevent piracy, it’ll discourage development in Pakistan. Money is the prime motivator for most activities. People generally won’t do things for charity and if they have no security that they can earn off of what they’ve worked hard to create, it hurts the Pakistani economy and ultimately the general people who live in the country like you.

Well... I think if Pakistan had a law to prevent piracy, we wouldn't have any software tech's around =\

who'd buy photoshop? windows? flash? We'd be living in the dark age.

@Sah huh?

You people allow Thrashing of Topics and Off-topic posts?

nice

Thanks alot to Everyone who replied with useful answers. Ill continue my discussion elsewhere as obviously the subject is not appreciated/understood by some people here.

cheers

-NeM

Dont know if it is legal or not but Wireless LAN operator in our area has not enabled it. I think there r still no such laws regarding the use/misuse of internet in Pakistan.

I have been studying about IP and mostly, it is not very effective inside Pakistan. However, the IPO has been established and is working on such stuff so laws about it may be made in a couple years.

The saddest thing is that the official Pakistani copyright website has copied and pasted the FAQs and other content from the US copyright website word by word. How can they be entrusted to provide copyright protection any way if they themselves are violators of it?