Pakistan to get Digital (3D) Cinema Shortly

In a bid to embrace latest technology of 21st century, Pakistani cinema goers will now experience the unique technology of 3D movies as country's first 3D cinema is fast approaching the completion stage and the first movie is likely to be aired by October 2010

Mandviwala Entertainment plans to build three theatres with an investment of Rs 60 million Based in Karachi, the major work of the cinema has already been completed and the interior of the cinema is being given the final touches in this regard.

It is pertinent to mention here that 42 feet screen in all three theatres will accommodate a total of 670 movie goers who will be provided the opportunity to enjoy 3D experience.

Nadeem Mandviwala, the owner of Mandviwala Entertainment in an interview with BBC Urdu showed optimism that the country will enter into 21st century with this technology.

He said that world is swiftly shifting from 35 MM technology to 3D cinemas, while this ongoing project can be considered as a step towards digital movies in Pakistan.

Mr. Nadeem was of the view that the technology itself is in evolving stages and it would be unwise to predict it will be an instant hit. "Pakistani Cinema Industry is currently undergoing the fall, as the trend of demolishing cinemas to replace with plazas is rising. So one has to be cautious in this regard." He added.

Source I : http://propakistani.pk/2010/06/28/pakistan-to-get-digital-3d-cinema-shortly/

Source II : http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/entertainment/2010/06/100626_pakistan_first_digital_cinema.shtml

Good news:

The 3d cinema in karachi are ready and to be opened on 24 december 2010,

THAT'S THIS FRIDAY,

currently they are going through testing their equipment

Whats the location ??

Where??.. i hope they live up to my expectations..

in saddar's atrium mall, behind avari towers, billboards have already gone up on clifton bridge

the first movies to be shown will be avatar , chronicles of narnia and gullivers travels

--tickets will start at rs 300 for traditional cinema

--Rs400 for digital cinema

--Rs500 plus Rs150 for the eyeglasses for the 3D screens.

:/ Why the heck are there no 3D cinemas in Lahore yet ?? Perhaps DHA cinema management should really pull their heads out of their asses and begin working on upgrading their screens.

What good are 3D cinemas when we don't even get any worthwhile releases? HP7 didn't make it here, TRON Legacy isn't coming either, instead we get second rate crap like Gulliver's Travels and Narnia. Meanwhile every single Bollywood movie including some major flops gets a release here.

I am pretty excited about it. Is it really going to be launched on 24 December or its delayed.

rizla.. it's the first time we are getting 3D cinema in Pakistan.. we'll get into mainstream movies later on.. something iz better than nthing :) ..

Btw.. does 3D cinema hav da same screen size as the original one?..

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

in saddar’s atrium mall, behind avari towers, billboards have already gone up on clifton bridge

the first movies to be shown will be avatar , chronicles of narnia and gullivers travels

–tickets will start at rs 300 for traditional cinema

–Rs400 for digital cinema

–Rs500 plus Rs150 for the eyeglasses for the 3D screens.

[/quote]

what does that mean normal/digital/3d? do they have 3 different screen for each?

rizla… it’s the first time we are getting 3D cinema in Pakistan… we’ll get into mainstream movies later on… something iz better than nthing :)

Btw… does 3D cinema hav da same screen size as the original one?..

[/quote]

we need to have a market for 3D cinema, you cant expect people to keep watching Avatar 3D all year long. But that is exactly what will happen.

^

- Product only can arrive in markets if the markets are there...

- Building 3D cinemas, is actually making a market of 3D films...

- how can you start playing films first and later to build cinemas?

- If there was no 3D cinema earlier than where the 3D films, do you suppose, to play on?

And the progress depends on the public demand. It depends on you. If you demand to watch 3D films than the Cinemas will play newer films as soon as possible. And as well other new cinemas will come into existence. It is just directly proportional to their business. They will do expend more money for newer films if and only if they get more business from the public. And it's the same rule for each category film but not only 3D.

"Avatar will be played all the time in future?" it will be true if people don't want to watch and so the cinemas won't expend more money for newer films.

Very straight and simple.... if you want films to arrive instantly in your country then Go watch in cinemas and give them the business... Don't watch on DVDs/Computers

Heres the update,

Atrium Cinemas has changed the launch date of its digital 3D and other cinemas from December 24 to December 31. The reason behind this change is the time required for running uninterrupted technical drill and training programmes. Atrium Cinemas are introducing the latest digital cinema technology with 3D capability in the country.

According to a statement issued on Monday, this New Year's eve, Atrium Cinemas, a project of Regent Properties and Mandviwalla Entertainment, are launching the first digital 3D cinema with 20th Century Fox's Avatar Special Edition with 9 minutes of additional never-seen footage. Other premieres will include The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, also in 3D, and Tees Maar Khan.

The multi-screen cinema complex is equipped with state-of-the-art digital and 35 mm projection, including Dolby Digital & DTS Surround Sound. The venue is intended to facilitate over 650 people at one time with cinema 'A' seating 154, cinema 'B' 176 and cinema 'D' 312 people.

The cinema has been designed to be wheelchair friendly and will also provide assistive listening devices for the hearing impaired.

The cinema will be located behind Avari Towers on the 3rd floor of the Atrium Mall. Tickets are Rs500 with Rs150 for the 3D glasses that people can then keep.

Edit: I believe the glasses are those red and blue ones? chalo atleast i can watch the 3D youtube vids with em at home :D

Trivia: Did you know Islamabad hasn't got a single public cinema of any sort?

The only entertainment citizens of Islamabad have is watching the Crazy-D parliamentary affairs from afar :(

@Asad, hahahah. You could alternatively go to Melody or Nafdec and see the "entertainment", albeit horrific and lame...

But hey - drive for 30 minutes (or less if you drive at 200ks/hour) and you'll be in Cinepax in no time.

Speaking of Cinepax, there isn't a single English movie on air in any of the five screens there! Now THAT is lame! :/

I believe the glasses are those red and blue ones? chalo atleast i can watch the 3D youtube vids with em at home :D
[/quote]

No! these newer generation 3D movies are shown using Polarized 3D Technique. So these glasses would be Polarized one. Polarized 3D can not be seen without special screen on Monitor/ TV. so u can’t use them at home unless you have a Polarized 3D equipment at home. That is also the reason for 150 rs price tag for glasses. In case for red/blue they are very cheaper and distributed free with tickets.

Cinemas use special silver screen for above purpose. The traditional Red/Blue 3D Films can be exhibited in traditional cinemas as well. Example Spy Kids 3D shown in Capri, Karachi.

This cinema is capable of showing both 3d and 2d film. If there is no 3d film being released the cinema will be showing normal digital films.

By the way if you check upcoming movies and recently released one every tom dick and harry film is being released in 3D now adays.

I cnt wait to watch 'Tom Dick and Harry' in 3D then :D ..

Off topic.. but why do the new TV's come with those battery powered shutter glasses? Cant they use the polarized ones? Nd i have tried samsung, Sony and Panasonic 3D Tv's nd i thnk amongst them the Sony ones are the best.. Panasonic ones u cant even feel 3Dness..

That's Active 3D technology which is very costly to watch by a group of people since every person needs a specialized glass. In this tech tv/monitor shows alternate images for each eye at a time and glasses make it possible that only one eye is watching that by blocking the vision of other eye. For this setup you need 120 hz refresh rate to see a 60 fPs movie. This tech doesn't compromise the Height of the Image. Whereas in Polarized 3D both Left and Right eye image are Interlaced row wise resulting in halving of Graphic Image.

Recently there have been 3d Laptops released which uses Polarized Screen for eg. Lenovo Ideapad Y560d

^

- Product only can arrive in markets if the markets are there…

- Building 3D cinemas, is actually making a market of 3D films…

- how can you start playing films first and later to build cinemas?

- If there was no 3D cinema earlier than where the 3D films, do you suppose, to play on?

And the progress depends on the public demand. It depends on you. If you demand to watch 3D films than the Cinemas will play newer films as soon as possible. And as well other new cinemas will come into existence. It is just directly proportional to their business. They will do expend more money for newer films if and only if they get more business from the public. And it’s the same rule for each category film but not only 3D.

“Avatar will be played all the time in future?” it will be true if people don’t want to watch and so the cinemas won’t expend more money for newer films.

Very straight and simple… if you want films to arrive instantly in your country then Go watch in cinemas and give them the business… Don’t watch on DVDs/Computers

[/quote]

You don’t understand. People do want to watch new movies in cinemas. Maybe I didn’t word my earlier response properly, but there is most certainly a demand, the movie distributors just aren’t interested in catering to that demand. As ShaheerK mentioned Cinepax has five screens and yet not a single english movie is playing. I’m a big movie buff, I used to have an unlimited monthly cinema card in the UK and watched all the new releases on the big screen. Its only the circumstances here that force me to download and watch pirated movies. So unless you want to watch Bollywood in 3D, there is no point in building a 3D cinema here. Bring quality movies to traditional cinemas first.

^ OK let me explain it a bit more.

Let's take the fact "Why Cinemas wont play english movies as soon as you want"....

The term "You" in it only represents you and me over here and some of the other WP members. Ok let's add some more from around the tech forums. or let's add even more non-tech people who are fans of watching movies in theater.

Now you should have a good sample data of people in your mind....

And Now....

- Are you sure that this sample data of the people, you have in your mind, at all can give a good business to the Distributors playing very new film in cinemas?

- Are you really sure that this is the the enough demand for the Distributors to risk their investment?

I am not going to give the exact figures of the cost of a big new film for which the distributors pay to get a first print. But I think you can make a good guess how much a new Hollywood movie could be expensive for Pakistani market...

In simple... I want to tell you that the demand, you think the distributors to cater for, is not good enough for them..

Does this make some sense now?

The same answer I want to give is that... You now have 3D Cinema in Karachi.. I appreciate that they stepped ahead with a hefty investment and I do hope best for them.... So just show them that you all can really give them the profit so that they could get new films according to your demand. And seeing this situation other new Cinemas would also be in place in future..

PS "I'll really surely play new films to get more profit if I actually get some profit back... but what can I do if I don't get profit?" think on it