Pakistan, from a creative writers point of view

Salaam and hello group members,

I would like to humbly request you all to please visit my blog at http://armageddonali.blogspot.com and let me know what you think about it. I am trying to make it as a Creative writer and i need encouragement, constructive criticism and feedback to better my skills. i will really appreciate if you hear me out

Thanks and regards

Tahir Ali

hi.

I went through your blog and here is my opinion.

You have good English language skills with reasonable vocablary. You have selected stereo typed issues for your writings which has already been discussed for hundred times on various fora. If you have discuss these you shall come with really genuine ideas/method to attract somebody attention. Moreover, your discussions are a bit lengthy and you shall try to say more in less words otherwise you will loose the humorous touch which you want to create. Mind you writing interesting genuinely humorous pieces is an art. Finally find a balance between the content and the language you use.

Hey there godfather,

First of all thanks for hearing me out and talking time out to visit me blog and giving me your valuable feedback. To a certain extent your are absolutely right, the topics which i choose to ramble about have already been discussed and debated countless times via different mediums but my aim is to give the old product a new packaging. You would agree with me on this that i have been quite successful in doing so till now if not completely successful.

Regarding the length of my pieces, brother if a topic needs words to express my complete opinion about it than shortening it would be kind of doing injustice to it, don't you think so too? It's not like i keep dragging it on without adding something new or interesting twist to it. for me its all about humor and sometimes humor does take some more time to express and be understood :)

But seriously, thank you for your feedback

Tahir Ali

i guess my pleas went unheard!! :-(

hello, any body there??

If you're trying to 'make it' as a creative writer, then why don't you write quality material? Your blog is full of random rants (though they may be 'creative') which one would read on forums or those stupid email forwards. Your 'Candidate from Hell' and 'Fresh from the cellar' blog articles are unoriginal, cheesy and annoying.

So why don't you go back to square one and tell us what you are trying to achieve, and how you are planning to achieve it?

i browsed around your blog, i have to say good efforts, well i would say if this is your first blog then its good starting effort, secondly your writing style got little rough edges but don't worry one blog post after another your writing style will mature with time.

Asalam O Alikum

Tahir Sahab :)

u are i read on your blog about zardari this is very free writing style :D

if any govt lover person read this you might be in big trbl?....

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

If you’re trying to ‘make it’ as a creative writer, then why don’t you write quality material? Your blog is full of random rants (though they may be ‘creative’) which one would read on forums or those stupid email forwards. Your ‘Candidate from Hell’ and ‘Fresh from the cellar’ blog articles are unoriginal, cheesy and annoying.

So why don’t you go back to square one and tell us what you are trying to achieve, and how you are planning to achieve it?

[/quote]

Thanks a lot for hearing me out and for going all Simon Cowell on my behind :-).

Well yes my blog contains random thoughts and isn’t that what a blog is about, random no sense making thoughts who no one else cares to listen to? As far as “unoriginal” goes i will fight you on this as i consider this accusation to be below the belt because none of my material is copied from anywhere, ever. Cheesy and annoying, well in order for humor to stick it sometimes has to be cheesy and it does annoy a lot of people on different levels. This is exactly what i plan to achieve, writing regularly and getting better through constructive criticism and helpful hints.

Thank you anyways for taking the time out and pointing out my mistakes and your take on my work

i browsed around your blog, i have to say good efforts, well i would say if this is your first blog then its good starting effort, secondly your writing style got little rough edges but don’t worry one blog post after another your writing style will mature with time.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and for replying, insha ALLAH as with everything else termed good i will get better with time

@tahirmr1:

1. When you said you want to 'make it as a creative writer', I assume you meant professionally or at the very least as a source of income. If that is your purpose, you need to focus on some kind of topic or area. Random rants are a hard sell (unless your topics are really good, and I'm sorry to say they're not).

2. 'Unoriginal' does not always equal 'copied'. Zardari bashing? You think thats original? Its been done from every angle and then some. Also don't re-post material found elsewhere. Even if you find a very interesting article or email forward, its better to write your own stuff instead of regurgitating things you stumble upon on the internet. [And again, I say this thinking that you want to earn money off your writing. You want to sell what YOU write.]

3. I disagree with your 'cheesy and annoying' approach. After reading your article, you want the reader to feel happy, satisfied, fulfilled, impressed, intrigued, intellectually challenged/stimulated or any other related adjective. Do you really think people like to feel annoyed? Think about it. Its a no go. I suppose you're trying to aim for satirical humor, or maybe repainting life facts in a slightly different light to highlight the humor (similar to Seinfeld's approach to stand-up comedy). But you're not doing a very good job of it. Your articles were rather lame.

I understand my comments are harsh. But you asked for them, so don't take it personally! If you're actually serious about writing, then think of this as a practice in dealing with harsh criticism. I could be encouraging, showering praises on you for making the effort, but you're not 5 yrs old and you don't (or at least shouldn't) want to live in some deluded fools paradise!

Asalam O Alikum

Tahir Sahab :)

u are i read on your blog about zardari this is very free writing style :D

if any govt lover person read this you might be in big trbl?..

[/quote]

Was Salaam

well as i see it the govt lovers are knee deep, busy in corruption and fully involved in gathering aid for the flood victims and using it for their own good but i surely wouldn’t want any trouble from them :)

@tahirmr1:

1. When you said you want to ‘make it as a creative writer’, I assume you meant professionally or at the very least as a source of income. If that is your purpose, you need to focus on some kind of topic or area. Random rants are a hard sell (unless your topics are really good, and I’m sorry to say they’re not).

2. ‘Unoriginal’ does not always equal ‘copied’. Zardari bashing? You think thats original? Its been done from every angle and then some. Also don’t re-post material found elsewhere. Even if you find a very interesting article or email forward, its better to write your own stuff instead of regurgitating things you stumble upon on the internet. [And again, I say this thinking that you want to earn money off your writing. You want to sell what YOU write.]

3. I disagree with your ‘cheesy and annoying’ approach. After reading your article, you want the reader to feel happy, satisfied, fulfilled, impressed, intrigued, intellectually challenged/stimulated or any other related adjective. Do you really think people like to feel annoyed? Think about it. Its a no go. I suppose you’re trying to aim for satirical humor, or maybe repainting life facts in a slightly different light to highlight the humor (similar to Seinfeld’s approach to stand-up comedy). But you’re not doing a very good job of it. Your articles were rather lame.

I understand my comments are harsh. But you asked for them, so don’t take it personally! If you’re actually serious about writing, then think of this as a practice in dealing with harsh criticism. I could be encouraging, showering praises on you for making the effort, but you’re not 5 yrs old and you don’t (or at least shouldn’t) want to live in some deluded fools paradise!

[/quote]

Damn ( two syllable),

it seems like i poked the wrong bear the wrong way :). well kidding aside, yes i do want to write professionally someday and as a source of income too but right now i am at a place in my life where i am not sure or do not know any better about what i should concentrate on as a topic or subject, hence the random “lame” rants and “poor” choice of topics.

now zardari, everyday we are faced with a new reality, a new depth of incompetence and a new deserving angle opens up and we are left contemplating about how to see the humor in it as a means of escaping the bitter reality that we are the one who chose him as a leader. Regarding sharing, i don’t think everything needs explaining of further digging into, sometimes its best to just share an interesting piece of information just the way it was obtained.

Seinfeld, really. That’s the best comparison i got till date :) (sarcastically speaking). I am sure my work itself does not contain so many adjectives in itself.

and yes i did ask for feedback and no matter how harsh it might sound i am always glad that some one took the time out to read and comment, i am not denying your feelings about my articles being lame but i have my reasons to firmly believe other wise, having said that one has to start somewhere and this is where i begin, hopefully the end would not be “lame” when compared to the humble beginnings.

sah man be gentle to tahir, this is just his first blog. you are like all over him like anchor from fox news.

@tahirmr1: Of course that is just my opinion. I'm just trying to make you see that if you want to be taken seriously, you have to write seriously good content. Semi-cute attempts at humor on banal topics won't get you far. People have to be impressed at some level after reading your articles! I will end my criticism here. :)

@kamran: Encouragement has its place, but its overrated. Its like giving all the little school kids ribbons just for participation! The world isn't a nice place and I don't think I'll be doing this man any favors by fueling delusions of grandeur!