Paki vs Pakistani (Re: attention needed)

It's a racial slur, just like nigger.

for people saying to use !@#$

not to use !@#$ was my request not an order or dictation

if you want to consider it, its up to you

@sah

these are not elections where majority wins nor its about losing or winning

if you want to keep saying its an abbreviation its up to you!!!

but its a taboo.to argee or not its up to you

giving examples doesnt change the meaning in any way

^ You obviously didn't understand what I was trying to convey with my long rants and examples. The meaning of the word is relative to the perspective with which you look at it. My examples were an attempt to demonstrate that concept when applied to other situations so people can realize its absurdity. Regardless, I said what I wanted to say, and unless someone has something more to add, I suppose I'm done here!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

In fact, in Britain, some Arabs call us ‘pakis’ because apparently !@#$ means ‘filth’ in their language… and this is what may have started it all. (according to some)

[/quote]

How does that work? There is a word in Arabic that contains letters not found in Arabic :P ? You do realize that there is no equivalent to “p” or the urdu pay in Arabic. In fact the Arabs call Pakistan Bakistan and Karachi Karashi for lack of equivalent letters in Arabic.

ok name of my good friend is yaseen butt and i call him often by only saying "butt"

so this means that i couldnt say him “butt” in uk or usa as you all know what "butt " means in english language???

Damn!!!

[/quote]

It reminds me of a prctical joke. I was once caught in rough traffic on my bike and needed to reach to my destination urgently. I was about to slice through a gap between two cars when another bike wala trying to do the same blocked me and in the end got himself stuck. I was frustrated and yelled: “Move your BUTT!!” The guy turned and gave me a less than welcome expression. The situation could go out of hand. So I changed my expressions and politly asked: “Butt sahab! thora rasta hi dey den”.

Someday they will call you something else and you will start wasting your energy discussing what to do . Get a life dudes, show your patience. We have so many other important things to learn and implement than this !@#$ matter. Dont we call them Goras and Angraiz. We even abuse "Angraiz ki Aulad" , did they raise such matters why pakistanis are calling us Goras and such words.

I think this thread should be closed.

I have seen this issue raised quite a few times before, at least once on this forum as well, and I attach a certain level of ignorance to it. Words are somewhat meaningless on their own, and it is really the intention with which one speaks them that gives them meaning. Taking a counter example, if I call you say a ‘genius’ with malice, would you consider it a compliment or an insult? If you take it as a compliment, then you would be sadly mistaken since it wasn’t meant to be, but at the same time that won’t change the meaning of the word ‘genius’ to be an insult.

If a Briton can be called a ‘Brit’, or an Australian an ‘aussie’, then why is a Pakistani being called a ‘!@#$’ considered an insult? It is just the short form of a word officially used to refer to the people of Pakistan. Are you saying that if some insignificant person who you don’t even know (and hence who you should not give any importance to) says that ‘!@#$’ is an insult, you’re going to sit back and accept it?

I have seen many Pakistani’s use the word ‘!@#$’ to refer to themselves and other Pakistani’s, and I (and they) don’t feel offended by it. As for Prince Harry, I’m sure he harbored no ill intentions when he referred to his Pakistani friend as ‘!@#$’, and the poor guy just got sucked into this pointless scandal due to media hype.

So completely opposite to what our friend tango has said above, I would urge everyone to use the word ‘!@#$’ with pride, in a positive context (since it does refer to our roots and country). Show the world that Pakistani’s are bigger than being consumed by a meaningless label given by a random person! In fact if other people see Pakistani’s using the word ‘!@#$’, they’ll forget the negative connotations. They’ll just realize that if Pakistani’s themselves don’t consider it to be an insult, then it really mustn’t be!

[/quote]

Awesome response… Gotta hand it over to you mate, I agree with almost every word you said. However, with all due respect, I don’t agree with the following

"As for Prince Harry, I’m sure he harbored no ill intentions when he referred to his Pakistani friend as ‘!@#$’"

I believe his remarks were defamatory in the true sense of the phrase and he had every intention to degrade him. And btw I don’t thing he was his friend, he was just a fellow batch mate.

so next time my friends come over to my home, swear me like hell infront of my parents, but i should do nothing, not even politely ask them not to say them words again.

patience/tolerance is one thing...

*sigh* :) Just to set the record straight:

01. It is just the short form of a word officially used to refer to the people of Pakistan.

The term "!@#$" was coined by racist whites

in the 1960's as a racial slur against Pakistani

immigrants who arrived in the UK. It was not

a cute little nickname that got perverted. At

the time, Pakistanis used the shortened word

Paks for themselves.

02. Show the world that Pakistani's are bigger than being consumed by a meaningless label given by a random person!

It's hard to brush aside decades of ongoing abuse

at the hands of a large and powerful majority. A

bloody historical context and it's resulting psychological

scars that continue to haunt it's victims.

I personally think we do a disservice to the pain,

suffering and the memory of all those brave men,

women and children who were (and are) bullied,

harassed, assaulted, raped, battered, knifed and

killed... just before being called out as "pakis".

This is not as simple as just some word that was

used a few times by some misguided youth that

we can try and reclaim. It's deeply intertwined with

the rocky and sometime bloody legacy of Pakistani

immigrants in the UK.

I don't expect people outside of Britain to be able

to empathize with their brethren in the UK. But it

is not hard to appreciate the gravity of the matter.

I completely agree with sah that meaning and weight

derives from intent and who best to judge it, then

those who are facing the brunt of it ?. And it doesn't

look like Brit-desis are in any mood to embrace the

term, even though some have started to use it strictly

amongst themselves, just like some Blacks use the

taboo term "nigger".

Neither would stand for a white guy using it around

them. It's not the word that hurts, it's the painful

memories associated with it --that it's designed and

intended to dredge up-- that hurts them.

I personally wouldn't care to use that word, in solidarity

with the current, and in honor of the past, victims of hate.

But that's just my $0.02. :)

Sheikh 'Niggardly' Chilli

"!@#$" was/is used to insult Pakistanis. I dont care to go and analyse each time someone calls a Pakistani a !@#$. Whats impotant to me is that NOBODY should ever use this word for a Pakistani. Anybody, an english friend, a chinese colleague, whoever, if they care the slightest bit about their Pakistani friend SHOULD never use this word.

They know this word offends and should never use it under any circumstance. If they do, its a personal offence and is similar to saying "#$%# yo Mo***" to someone....

میرے دو پیسے

Wow such big posts on a 4 letter word. Guys be cool. There is nothing wrong in the word !@#$

and is similar to saying “#$%# yo Mo***” to someone…

میرے دو پیسے

[/quote]

It certainly IS NOT!

once again very well put sheikh chilli!

actually i was waiting for his comments.

This is crazy... We should have an essay writing competition on this website for those 'for' and 'against' (well not for but those who don't give a rat's BEhind) about the term !@#$!

This is crazy… We should have an essay writing competition on this website for those ‘for’ and ‘against’ (well not for but those who don’t give a rat’s BEhind) about the term !@#$!
[/quote]

How about a Nationwide Debate Competition :P

How about a Nationwide Debate Competition :P

[/quote]

Debate’s overkill man :P

Debate’s overkill man :P

[/quote]

What do you think people are doing here :P

the word !@#$ is like Ni**A

i want to bang my head on a concrete wall. There is nothing wrong with the word !@#$:@