Paki vs Pakistani (Re: attention needed)

to everyone,

i have seen on this forum and some other websites people using word '!@#$' as short of pakistani . it is an abusive word. it is also found in dictionaries as taboo. it is the same word said by harry (prince of u.k.) to his asian colleague that attracted attention. so please don not use it in future kindly. it is a request and thank you in advance

I have seen this issue raised quite a few times before, at least once on this forum as well, and I attach a certain level of ignorance to it. Words are somewhat meaningless on their own, and it is really the intention with which one speaks them that gives them meaning. Taking a counter example, if I call you say a 'genius' with malice, would you consider it a compliment or an insult? If you take it as a compliment, then you would be sadly mistaken since it wasn't meant to be, but at the same time that won't change the meaning of the word 'genius' to be an insult.

If a Briton can be called a 'Brit', or an Australian an 'aussie', then why is a Pakistani being called a '!@#$' considered an insult? It is just the short form of a word officially used to refer to the people of Pakistan. Are you saying that if some insignificant person who you don't even know (and hence who you should not give any importance to) says that '!@#$' is an insult, you're going to sit back and accept it?

I have seen many Pakistani's use the word '!@#$' to refer to themselves and other Pakistani's, and I (and they) don't feel offended by it. As for Prince Harry, I'm sure he harbored no ill intentions when he referred to his Pakistani friend as '!@#$', and the poor guy just got sucked into this pointless scandal due to media hype.

So completely opposite to what our friend tango has said above, I would urge everyone to use the word '!@#$' with pride, in a positive context (since it does refer to our roots and country). Show the world that Pakistani's are bigger than being consumed by a meaningless label given by a random person! In fact if other people see Pakistani's using the word '!@#$', they'll forget the negative connotations. They'll just realize that if Pakistani's themselves don't consider it to be an insult, then it really mustn't be!

totally agree with sah..

Tango

if you will match the wordings of one language with another there will be conflicts with some words always

"!@#$" is an Urdu language word no matter what eva it got meaning in any other language.

use "!@#$ ' bro....

with your concept about "!@#$" as tabu slang many words conlict too like :

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

then why is a Pakistani being called a ‘!@#$’ considered an insult? It is just the short form of a word officially used to refer to the people of Pakistan.
[/quote]

because it has history… travel to Uk… call some pakistani or even asian a ‘!@#$’ and get ready to be beaten up by bunch asian chavs. its a racial slur in britain and few other parts of the world aswell.

dont think we pakistanis living in pakistan mind the word !@#$, but the point is the correct word is pakistani not !@#$. !@#$ is not even an urdu word. its pak which means pure.

i wont consider it offensive if used by a fellow pakistani but if a non-pakistani i will politely ask them not to use it.

there is nothing to be proud of the word !@#$, its pakistani.

ps. most of the forums i visit, the word is banned.

I would prefer Pakistani over Paki any day.

After all, I don't see anyone referring to Indians as Bhindians. :D

agree with asad..If u can write pakistani then go for the full word instead of !@#$...

I little disagree with sah..I think words do matter and one more thing that price harry didnt only call !@#$ but he also passed racist comments....

So why should we Pakistani call ourselves !@#$ instead of pakistani..??

:|

I totally agree with sah. "!@#$" is just a short form of word "Pakistani". It's the context that gives a word bad or good reputation. There is nothing wrong in word "!@#$" itself.

I also agree with Asad that I also gives preference to "Pakistani" instead of "!@#$".

I personally do not take "!@#$" as insult at all. Neither in Pakistan nor in England, not in any part of world. Call me "!@#$" even with bad intentions and I won't get offended. Call me "Brown" any day and I won't get offended.

I am not interested in racial slurs, fact is a fact, I am "Brown", "Pakistani" and "Asian". Calling me "Brown" or "!@#$" with bad intentions won't degrade me but the caller will show his degradation from humanity.

Having said that, let any non-Pakistanis call anything against Pakistan and I'll let you know what I am capable of ;)

I would prefer Pakistani over !@#$ any day.

After all, I don’t see anyone referring to Indians as Bhindians. :D

[/quote]

They wouldn’t mind being called “indies” I guess :rolleyes:

I have seen this issue raised quite a few times before, at least once on this forum as well, and I attach a certain level of ignorance to it. Words are somewhat meaningless on their own, and it is really the intention with which one speaks them that gives them meaning. Taking a counter example, if I call you say a ‘genius’ with malice, would you consider it a compliment or an insult? If you take it as a compliment, then you would be sadly mistaken since it wasn’t meant to be, but at the same time that won’t change the meaning of the word ‘genius’ to be an insult.

If a Briton can be called a ‘Brit’, or an Australian an ‘aussie’, then why is a Pakistani being called a ‘!@#$’ considered an insult? It is just the short form of a word officially used to refer to the people of Pakistan. Are you saying that if some insignificant person who you don’t even know (and hence who you should not give any importance to) says that ‘!@#$’ is an insult, you’re going to sit back and accept it?

I have seen many Pakistani’s use the word ‘!@#$’ to refer to themselves and other Pakistani’s, and I (and they) don’t feel offended by it. As for Prince Harry, I’m sure he harbored no ill intentions when he referred to his Pakistani friend as ‘!@#$’, and the poor guy just got sucked into this pointless scandal due to media hype.

So completely opposite to what our friend tango has said above, I would urge everyone to use the word ‘!@#$’ with pride, in a positive context (since it does refer to our roots and country). Show the world that Pakistani’s are bigger than being consumed by a meaningless label given by a random person! In fact if other people see Pakistani’s using the word ‘!@#$’, they’ll forget the negative connotations. They’ll just realize that if Pakistan’s themselves don’t consider it to be an insult, then it really mustn’t be!

[/quote]

Some people do use ‘!@#$’ to offend Pakistanis. It’s the same as the word ‘nigger’… if you’re a black or a close friend of a black, he won’t mind you calling him a nigger. But if you’re a white and call him that with racist tone, you may have to face serious consequences.

In fact, in Britain, some Arabs call us ‘pakis’ because apparently !@#$ means ‘filth’ in their language… and this is what may have started it all. (according to some)

Though… when you come down to it, the words don’t mean anything. It’s the way we say them that makes the difference. I don’t mind being called a !@#$, but if someone calls me ‘!@#$’ in a condescending tone, I’ll sure as hell lose my cool. :)

In fact, in Britain, some Arabs call us ‘pakis’ because apparently !@#$ means ‘filth’ in their language… and this is what may have started it all. (according to some)
[/quote]

Are you sure that “!@#$” means “filth” in Arabic language? :confused:

By the way anybody has a history why It was marked as slang word?? We should look in the word's history before giving any view points.

Here is what I found.

'!@#$' might appear to a mere abbreviation for the more formal 'Pakistani', it is, as the Oxford English Dictionary explains, a slang word whose use is usually regarded as being "derogatory and offensive". The word first entered the English language in 1964 courtesy of The Guardian of all people, being thereafter used by white racists to describe anyone of South Asian descent, as evidenced by the emergence in the 1970s of compound words such as !@#$-bashing and !@#$-busting which described very real incidents of racial violence up and down the country. The word '!@#$' therefore brings with it certain connotations which are impossible to ignore, whilst it is no doubt doubly offensive to be referred to as a '!@#$' if one happens to be of Indian rather than Pakistani descent.

Another one

!@#$ / Pakki: (Primarily UK and Canada, sometimes US, NZ and India) a South Asian. Within the UK, the term originates in Northern England, where a large number of South-Asians arrived in the 1950s and 1960s. It is usually considered offensive when used by a non-South Asian in the UK.

Well according to history when there were lots of migrants coming to Britain and suddenly word "!@#$" was just like invented.

I don't the reason behind the word !@#$ but as far as I think it was created like if some of non Pakistani migrated to Britain and British people started calling them !@#$'s... But they were not Pakistani so they made it an offense to themselves specially Indians and finally !@#$ word was used as offense. Well that's my theory :/

Thread title changed to reflect the nature of the discussion...

it means "cleanliness" that is half you religion... so why so serious??:P

@sah

!@#$ is in dictionaries means reconised word as taboo. i dont have an idea to use a taboo word in a better way

in urdu 'pak' mean 'cleanliness' not !@#$

^ I answered that with my 'genius' example! Words are just that, words... nothing more. And especially in this case, it all depends on how you perceive the word '!@#$'. I think its not worth wasting my energy getting insulted by a word which is essentially just an abbreviation. There are bigger problems in the world...

ok name of my good friend is yaseen butt and i call him often by only saying "butt"

so this means that i couldnt say him "butt" in uk or usa as you all know what "butt " means in english language????

Damn!!!

ok name of my good friend is yaseen butt and i call him often by only saying "butt"

so this means that i couldnt say him “butt” in uk or usa as you all know what "butt " means in english language???

Damn!!!

[/quote]

hhahhaa :lol:

on topic: i luv the way sah explained…but again if one can write or call word pakistani better to use it instead of !@#$

The word "!@#$" has a lot of ugly baggage, of which most

Pakistanis outside of Europe (UK in particular) luckily know

very little about and appreciate even less. Less of a word,

it is used more like a punch-in-the-face, by malicious bigots.

People far removed who would try and rationalize the word,

by parsing it, miss the toxic (and continuing) historical context.

However, there is a tiny minority out there who believe that

they can diffuse the toxicity and render the slurs impotent by

embracing and adopting the pejorative words (nigger, !@#$)

for themselves!

The effectiveness of this argument, however, has yet to be

demonstrated.

Sheikh 'Sticks and Stones...' Chilli

^ The effectiveness can only be demonstrated when the masses accept the argument, and that is clearly not happening as everyone can plainly see!

I am trying to make people see the bigger picture. At the end of the day, it really is just a word. If you want to be insulted, be insulted by people's attitudes and not by their words. Otherwise your 'anger' is misdirected. If people weren't so sensitive to minor pointless issues, wearing their pride on their shoulder for everyone to hurt, the world would be a lot better not to mention easier place to live in.

I will give an analogy. For one of my courses (an artsie elective), the professor specifically told everyone not to use the word 'mankind' in their essays to refer to the collective human race and to use say 'humanity' instead or suffer dire consequences. This apparently was to maintain gender equality/fairness. I personally think that is quite possibly the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life. I consider the use of the word '!@#$' in the same light.