Pak Telecom industry ripe to brace 3G technology; says Telenor EVP

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

ISLAMABAD, Oct 23 (APP): Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs, Telenor Pakistan, Irfan Wahab Khan Wednesday said that Pakistani telecom Industry was ready to brace the 3G technology as the relevant equipment prices have come down significantly during the past years. “The time is ripe for Pakistani telecom industry to brace the 3G Technology as the prices of equipment have come down significantly - thanks to the Chinese Industry. The introduction of 3G would not only enhance services but also would lure lots of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI),” he said while addressing a workshop organised for working journalists.

The moot was titled “MNP to 3G - The Development of Mobile Communications in Pakistan” and hosted by Telenor Pakistan with an objective to inform the media on the development of mobile communications in Pakistan.

Manager Intercarrier Strategy, Salman Malik and Manager MNP, Nauman Arshad briefed the workshop participants on 3G and Mobile Number Portability (MNP) whereas CEO Jon Eddy Abdullah also gave a special message.

Irfan said the telecom companies have to provide high quality broadband bandwidth and the only answer to the question was 3G technology.

“The world is heading towards convergence. This is the time we should also take a jump into future. Today, the customers need high quality Internet and other high quality services. This would also help enhance the service of mobile TV,” he added.

On MNP, Irfan maintained that Telenor Pakistan continues to view Mobile Number Portability as an effective tool contributing towards availability of more choices for the consumer.

Salman Malik said 3G offers operators business continuity as the associated spectrum allows additional voice capacity to address urban capacity constraints.

“This would also bring more efficient spectrum usage to drive down operator costs; provides for enriching Value Added Services (VAS) to enhance customer experience and is considered the only viable solution to increase mobile broadband penetration in Pakistan,” he added.

Telenor Pakistan CEO Jon Eddy Abdullah, in his message, said that 3G offers broadband connectivity over mobile networks, which span the rural-urban divide, can stimulate internet penetration in Pakistan just like new 2G licenses boosted cellular penetration to record levels over just a few years.

“The time for introducing 3G technology in Pakistan is now, he said, and added that as the country needs a more efficient communications network, the 3G was the solution to it,” said Jon.

The presenters at the seminar explained that 3G is the third generation of mobile phone standards and technology that enables network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services. Whereas, MNP benefits the customer by giving him the liberty to choose the service provider with the best overall value while retaining his phone numbers including the code.

Only recently, Telenor Pakistan had sponsored a high profile seminar along with other telecom operators on 3G. The aim of this workshop was to create media awareness on what new technologies will be applied for 3G and what improvements have been made by the industry on MNP.

Telenor Pakistan aims at taking the expert’s role in keeping the media informed. Telenor ASA is an international provider of high quality telecommunications, data and media communication services.

It ranks as world’s 7th largest mobile operator with a total of 153 million subscribers in its mobile operations. Telenor Pakistan is 100 percent owned by Telenor ASA and adds on to its operations in Asia together with Thailand, Malaysia and Bangladesh.

[/quote]

Source

I Think Telenor will be launching 3G soon

when?

these people cant even give edge probably and now ......

well telenor has good edge.

and good in edge coverage

just bring it out guyz

I have used Telenor Edge it was not bad but now i am on warid'd edge and i think it is much better than telenor.

yeah people just dont forget that these service provider are bassically providing mobile telephone services they are not stand alone internet service provider they are just providing GPRS/EDGE as addon service.

so i think may be u will experience a good video call service.

yeah warid is better than telenor in case of edge

a little hope for Iphone 3G in Pakistan

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

these people cant even give edge probably and now …
[/quote]

Absolutely correct.

3G is tricky ... huge investment is needed (licensing fee, infrastructure upgrades etc) but the return on that is not clear. There's pressure on PTA to do something. The infrastructure vendors love it as it brings business to them.

I did not have a good experience with 3G in the US. Below expectations and unreliable coverage of 3G.

Here are a few of my posts which provide different points of views on this:

http://telecompk.net/2008/04/13/pakistan-3g-spectrum/

http://telecompk.net/2008/09/02/has-the-clock-struck-3g-in-pakistan/

http://telecompk.net/2008/11/24/cell-phone-tower-in-your-home-femtocells-pakistan/

Babar