Overpriced internet in Pakistan a myth?

I decided to check out some of foreign ISPs to get an idea of the cost of broadband Internet access in these countries. The aim was to find out whether Internet access is unduly expensive in Pakistan or not.

So I visited two US ISPs cox.net and verizon.

For reference sake $20=PK Rs. 1600, $1=80.66

cox:

http://www.cox.com/gainesvilleocala/highspeedinternet/packages.asp

9mbps for $45

1.5mbps for $30

768kbps for $20

Verizon:

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/HighSpeedInternet/Plans/Plans.htm

1mbps for $18

3mbps for $28

Also some indian ISPs :

Tata indico in mumbai

512kbps for INR 1850

1mbps for INR 3850

BSNL

http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone_tariff.htm

512kbps for INR 1350

So generally speaking the prices in Pakistan are not more expensive than abroad. Rs. 1200 for PTCL 1mbps is cheaper than the US or India.

So why does everyone say that Pakistani ISPs are looting us?

Maybe cause we pakistanis are unthankfull people...

Thanks to mushi for giving our telecom sector a boom or it would have remain a myth

yeah price is almost same but not the contention ratio here 1:5 , 1:10 ,1:20 or 1:15 or 1:infinity most of time our download speed is ok but browsing speed really S**t

Japan gives 1Gbps for $56.50/mo, abt Rs.4500

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/27/1757211&from=rss

@sameer

tht share ratio doesnt really effect the performance..

does it.??

Well heres the thing. Absolute pricing has no meaning. The real cost is relative to how much people earn in Pakistan. So a better measure would be say, what percentage is broadband internet cost for an average American relative to what he/she earns, and compare that to the internet cost for an average Pakistani relative to his/her earning. You'll see a stark difference there.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Well heres the thing. Absolute pricing has no meaning. The real cost is relative to how much people earn in Pakistan. So a better measure would be say, what percentage is broadband internet cost for an average American relative to what he/she earns, and compare that to the internet cost for an average Pakistani relative to his/her earning. You’ll see a stark difference there.
[/quote]

Exactly!

It is not possible to compare US or Japanese internet price with Pakistan.

Try to compare the price of coca cola or McDonald burger, or just bread (locally called double-roti) with breads in US/Japan? Pakistan has cheaper coca cola, McDonald burger and bread (and it is not because Pakistan produce wheat. US produce its own wheat too).

Whatever the reasons are we can't compare Pakistani Oranges (which has seeds) with US Florida Oranges (without seeds) :D

Check this out

Google TiSP

Google is providing free wireless internet up to 8 Mbps in US and Canada

Check this out

Google TiSP

Google is providing free wireless internet up to 8 Mbps in US and Canada

[/quote]

:D

What is TisP ? And why we need a toilet to get TiSp? Din't get :(

:D

[/quote]

lol…I think he doesn’t know…or may be just kidding

TiSP was an april fool's joke by google a few years ago, I was so happy when I saw it even though I didn't understand how it worked, I thought I might get dsl and then I remembered Its 1st of April.

How about UK's BE unlimited data plans, which are really cheap as well:

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

8Mbit Unlimited: 13.50 pounds.

24Mbit Unlimited: 17.50 pounds.

There are unlimited cheap plans available in most countries I guess, you just have to search a bit.

Friends!i think we should not compare Pakistani internet sharing ratio and services with other foriegn Countries because within pakistan i think no one 100 % providing decided services and committed sharing ratio's ....so now we have to be very much selective for the ISP's Services specially when things are going to faster and changes...i heared that LINkdotNET sharing ratio is almost good and the other one is MBL , most of my friends like sharing ratio of LDN specially in peak timings PTCL and Brain is normally used to dead.

please share your experiences for other ISP's for the batter understanding.

if v compare the indian rates posted above, ours r cheaper. but ofcourse we still have a bit expensive broadband compared to uk, us/canada....

but inshallah rates will come down more in near future....

if v compare the indian rates posted above, ours r cheaper. but ofcourse we still have a bit expensive broadband compared to uk, us/canada…

but inshallah rates will come down more in near future…

[/quote]

How u can say that rates will come down , really any thing confirmed from any ISP?

heared about PTCL is going to increse bandwidth on same rates, and i think there will be NO big player who will decrease it’s rates due to inflation .

The contention ratio's in USA and UK are alot higher then over here i heard? Isnt that so? I heard in UK/USA contention ratios are as high as 25:1 or sometimes 40:1. Maxcom and PTCL etc are giving like 5:1 ratios. Aur kia chaye ?

^ I don't think people there would be "bearing" with that much high ratios. Highly unlikely that a user there paying for 8MB connection will do nothing if he is getting 1Mb speed.