Overclocking RAM in ASUS?

in my brother's PC he has 1 gb DDR2 800 fsb ram and the board is ASUS 5kpl-CM , the processor is E8400 running at 3 ghz (stock) and the board fsb is 1333 (stock).

he wants to over clock his ram from 800 fsb to 1066 fsb or somewhere in the middle or above .

HOW TO OVER CLOCK THE RAM ONLY ?

when he changed the frequency from the BIOS from 800 to 1066 then PC was not starting and giving beep , then after reseting the jumper (reset to defaults) it was started .

please let me know how to over clock the bios in this board ?

any cheeta ??

:)

no cheeta ??

ok so any made in china wala cheeta ??

In BIOS, you'll find RAM settings by, which has default settings "By SPD". Change it to user define or something similar to it (anything else from "By SPD"). Then change 4 settings below it (those 4 settings will be disabled if "By SPD" is selected). You'll need to Google to find more about those 4 settings.

Corsair RAM and Kingston RAM has better degree for overclock. Unbranded or Chinese made RAM has less tendency to overclock. Remember that overclocking is a long and tedious work. After each setting you'll need to boot into Windows and run RAM stress test for at least an hour to confirm that new settings will work. Not to mention that you need adequate cooling. Yes! even overclock RAM modules need extra cooling too.

i have done this before , there is an option of memory setting there in the BIOS , it was like setting of MHZ

auto

when i selected the auto and 800 it works fine (non overclocked) as the memory is of 800mhz , when i select 1000 then the computer is not going to boot

also i tried to enhance the 1.8 volt option to 2 and even 2.5 bbut it is not showing in the CPUz software tht my ram is overclocked ! no performance difference either .

so i was interested to know the step by step procedure of that .

^I just could not resist saying that. I was thinking there is a lot of Overclockers arround here :rolleyes:. And I was noticing your thread since it's started and had no solution yet before wampyr replied.

but wampyr, in the mean while when I searched the WP forums with the keyword "Overclock" I also got some posts from you as well. and seriously I found your posts descent enough and thought that others answer or do not answer to this post but instantly you should have replied to this post (no matter it's solved or not). and I really got you here. :). believe it or not but I like my observations. :P

@nadeem5476

yes exactly this is the way you overclock. it's dependent of your components in your PC. you have to do it in the same way as you are doing. and as wampyr said, according to you, you have done that too.

you obviously needed to increase the voltage to Ram. and you did.

but this is the way you do it, try one value and test, try second value and test, and on and on. where you find your pc in working state.

do not increase voltage more than enough. I am not good in it. but you should try low increments in voltages.

[RISK]try 1000Mhz to your ram and increase the voltage at lower differences upward. once set, then try increase FSB and voltage too if you need more.[/RISK]

again not to mention but you have to take care of the risks as mentioned by wampyr.

^^ do you know what options available in the mother board i mentioned ????

there is no 1 point incremental system available , and in voltages too it is

and in MHz

auto

u cant set 801 or 820

the things you mentioned above i already tried as i posted this already in my above posts.

@nadeem5476

These changeable "MHz" settings are feast of Asus and MSI boards (now a day many other manufacturers also give this option). Though, I used Asus boards mostly that's why I can only talk about it. This setting changes FSB (Front Side Bus) speed. It increases speed for your processor and RAM (and my guess is south and north bridges too, maybe Processor to PCI communication too). Anyway, I won't recommend increasing voltage as it can have adhere consequences if not handled carefully.

Increasing FSB (that MHz thingy) will overclock major parts of your computer, more precisely Processor and RAM. But because you are only interested in overclocking the RAM, that's why I told you the method to do so (by changing from "By SPD" setting and changing 4 or 5 settings below it). They are called RAM timings etc. (latency rate, refresh rate etc. etc.) They are usually quoted as 2-3-3-4-2T (this is dummy, do not put this in your settings).

@bellskar

I am flattered :)

ok i have done that and the settings those WERE

6-6-6-18

and now i selected

5-5-5-15

and it is working now but there is no increase in performance noticeable .

should i increase the voltage too ?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@bellskar

I am flattered :)

[/quote]

mmmmmmmmm not flattering bro… :) that was true. other wise I dont like to mention these things :) and because I was really considering the responses on this thread. may be you have knowledge what I am talking about. I was expecting some other specific individuals also to contribute in this thread and may be they do if they are really goody goody in Overclocking.

any ways.

I am not good in that matter. never ever tried. never needed to. but Just have got read the articles on the internet. and my suggestion was just according to that. that was all I could do in it =D

^ Not each setting need to be lowered. IIRC, some settings do well when value is increased. That's why you need to search for each setting in Google to find out whether to increase or decrease.

By the way, do not expect a Pentium 2 turning into Core 2 Duo type of speed increase. :) You need stress test softwares to measure how much speed of RAM has increased or decreased with new settings.

i hav never tried to oc my ram but i m sure u wil not experience a noticable difference b/w a stock one and an oc one

try to run games at high resolutions if n only if u hav a gud gpu..this way u will feel som difference

by tightening the values from 6-6-618 to 5-5-515 there is no change in the Mhz of the ram , it was previously running on 800 and stillon 800 (as per cpuz software) , now what to do to show tht ther eis some increase in the FSB or MHZ of RAM ?

and if i m changing further to

5-5-5-14

then the performance is started degrading.

and if i m changing further to

5-5-5-14

then the performance is started degrading.

[/quote]

With which software you are measuring RAM performance after every new settings?

cpuz &

sandra sisoft

i idid 5-5-5-15 bcz on the memory sticker it was written that it is 5-5-5-15 memory but when i chkd in the software it was running on 6-6-6-18

so i made tht 5-5-5-15 and there is no tmp increase in th ememory module , no crashes , no hang ups so far.

plus i want to ask another thing : just for the information , i have E8400 runing on 3ghz stock, i tried to overclock this and it went upto 4 ghz and was running smooth and hell lot of difference there was between the 3 and 4 ghz . the adobe photoshop was loading and processing and i wasnt able to see the splash screens and / or any sign of "waiting..." " processing..." etc but i then again set the processor to its stock tht is 3ghz . want to ask that if we r increasing the processor speed to 4 ghz will it effect the other compnenet sin the PC like sata drives ? wifi lan card ?

want to ask that if we r increasing the processor speed to 4 ghz will it effect the other compnenet sin the PC like sata drives ? wifi lan card ?
[/quote]

No! It won’t increase or decrease performance of HDD and WiFi/LAN card.

However, you should provide adequate cooling, a good quality water cooling, for a processor that is overclock from 3Ghz to 4Ghz otherwise when in stress (like gaming or other intense computing) it will heat-up to a limit that it will burn itself and nearby components. Moreover, when you overclock any component, it ages very fast, I mean really fast, remember that.

yes thts i know and thts y i m not interested to run it on 4 gega . i just run the things on stock level , i was asking this bcz some where i heard that some one fried up his sata hard drive bcz of the over clocking the cpu !

OMG donot oc to 4ghz on stock cooler...n how can u say it was smooth n stable at 4ghz???..oc it to 4ghz and run OCCT and prime95...