Overclocking Guide needed....plz help

I need to know how can I overclock my cpu....My current cpu configuration is:

Mobo: VIA P4X266-8233

HDD: 40Gb

RAM: 512Mb

CPU:Pentium 4----2.83GHz

Video Card: Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro----16mb only :-(

....PLZ HELP

Check your BIOS. See if it has a setting where you can increase the speed of the FSB(front side bus, in MHz). Default will be at 133-200 mhz, and increase it slowly and stress test your PC with superPI, 3dmark etc after every increment.

Remember that increasing the FSB speed will affect your RAM too so check if your RAM has a high MHz (RAM rated at 800MHz and above should be good enough since your processor's default FSB is 533MHz). Also keep a check on your temps.

If you are a n00b, don't bother overclocking...too much hassle for limited performance.

Your PC is very old. You won't see a lot of increase in performance by overclocking a P4. I have a p4 and overclocking it didn't bring much performance difference (even after overclocking it by 400MHz). I also fried my RAM because it wasn't built to handle the increased FSB speed and since i was a n00b back then.

i'd suggest you buy a new pentium dualcore/core 2 duo/i3/i5/i7 PC.

Upgrade you Ram (1GB Atleast) and VGA (128 Atleast) only then you can see the difference.

Overclocking is no joke. You have to spend a lot of time and effort to play around with the settings and achieve a higher and more importantly STABLE clock rate. You also run a very high risk of destroying your processor if you make a wrong move. Combined with the fact that your CPU is somewhat ancient by todays standards, even attempting to overclock it is not worth your time. Even if you manage to achieve any gains, they will be so negligible that you won't see a visible performance difference.

Bump up your RAM and add a better video card.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Overclocking is no joke. You have to spend a lot of time and effort to play around with the settings and achieve a higher and more importantly STABLE clock rate. You also run a very high risk of destroying your processor if you make a wrong move. Combined with the fact that your CPU is somewhat ancient by todays standards, even attempting to overclock it is not worth your time. Even if you manage to achieve any gains, they will be so negligible that you won’t see a visible performance difference.

Bump up your RAM and add a better video card.

[/quote]

Just wondering, If I can overlock my Old laptop… Its nc6220 with 1gb ram and 128 shared memory

The basic process for overclocking is:

Open up your BIOS and bump up the clock frequency multipliers. Higher the multiplier, the faster your processor. Now the problem here is, higher clock speeds require higher voltages (you also need to change voltage levels from the BIOS). And in turn, higher voltages cause your system to heat up. Higher operating temperatures reduce the life of your hardware and give you unstable performance. You play around with these variables, each time observing the running temperature and running long load testing sessions (sometimes overnight) to ensure your system is stable and doesn't hang due to overheating etc. In short, unless you're just doing this for fun and to learn, its not worth it.

Most manufacturers' BIOS software is also very closed and they won't allow you to do things like playing with hardware control variables. This is especially true for manufacturers who sell complete branded systems (laptops don't make for good systems to overclock). This way the customer is not allowed to screw around with the hardware and it maintains 'quality'. Kind of like the Apple way of making products where you as the manufacturer create a fully closed system so you have complete control over everything.

Will it be turnable to default values after a change or a manual handling required?

^ Your BIOS may or may not have a 'default' setting. You would just have to look at it. But do your research and make sure you know what you're doing. Or you'll fry your laptop and thats just not fun.

thanx guz I have overclocked it to 3.11 GHz

ok but have you stressed tested the processor,,,after a overclock you have to run some test on it for a few hours to see if it is stable....google it for information