Opera 9.5 Optimizes JavaScript; Beats Firefox 3

Opera is obviously not content with sitting on the sidelines when it comes to being the fastest browser out there. Back in February Mozilla decided that it was time to optimize it’s JavaScript performance, and used a technique called Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO) that gave it a nice boost. Opera decided to jump on the PGO bandwagon as well with this week’s release of Opera 9.5, and here is their explanation of how it works:

"With this technique, Opera is compiled twice. The first compilation creates a specially instrumented build that gathers statistics about which code is called and which variables are used most often. The instrumented build loads sites automatically using “URL player”, a testing feature available in every Opera build (more information about that in a later blog post). This information is dumped into files and used to produce the final build that’s optimized based on the gathered statistics."

Did it help? Unfortunately there are some bugs in Opera 9.5 that prevent it from finishing the Sunspider test, but in the areas it does complete the result is normally better than Firefox 3 Beta 5. It does, however, consistently beat Firefox 3 in the MooTools SlickSpeed test in addition to this JavaScript benchmarking tool.

Congrats Opera! It looks as though you might be recapturing the JavaScript performance crown, but we’ll have to wait and see what the final version of each browser is like before we make any conclusions along those lines.

Be sure to checkout our more complete article where we compare the performance of more browsers.

Source: http://cybernetnews.com/2008/05/09/opera-95-optimizes-javascript-beats-firefox-3/

I am still an firefox fan and i know firefox will come up with something like this with their next release

btw firefox have released an alpha version of firefox 4, testers haven't noticed any change, i think they are probably testing the engine

I have been, am and will continue to be an Opera fan. Way to go Opera.

Though I do play with FF on the sidelines and also dabble with IE7 but prefer Opera for 95% of the net.

i am used to the UI of firefox and i can customize it to my own needs :)

There are so many FF fanboys here so best to say use whatever you are comfortable with.

To make a long post short, these days Opera, FF and even IE7 are all pretty good browsers. So to each his/her own.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

There are so many FF fanboys here so best to say use whatever you are comfortable with.

To make a long post short, these days Opera, FF and even IE7 are all pretty good browsers. So to each his/her own.

[/quote]

i like to weigh the pros and cons of everything that’s why posted this

[/quote]

You forgot about the browsers utilizing the most robust engine of nowadays, i.e. WebKit. Safari comes to mind.

As for Opera’s speed improvements, it will be interesting to see where it stands against WebKit.

Webkit is used in Firefox 3 b5... no?

I've always wanted to adopt Opera, but couldn't. Reason being is due to it's incompatibility with many other pages.

So I stick with Firefox.

And FF3 B5 is fast for the average Joe, and suffices most people's needs.

Webkit is used in Firefox 3 b5… no?

I’ve always wanted to adopt Opera, but couldn’t. Reason being is due to it’s incompatibility with many other pages.

So I stick with Firefox.

And FF3 B5 is fast for the average Joe, and suffices most people’s needs.

[/quote]

no actually firefox 3 uses Gecko 1.9,

I am starting to hate Firefox. I should try opera until FF 3 releases.

And FF3 B5 is fast for the average Joe, and suffices most people’s needs.
[/quote]

yo and the diff is not significant , you may not even notice the speed increase it just shows up in the tests

I am starting to hate Firefox. I should try opera until FF 3 releases.
[/quote]

why?

I am an Opera Fan. Its the BEST!

why?

[/quote]

On Firefox, WiredPakistan takes around 1-2 minutes to load. On IE and Opera, it takes around 5-6 seconds to load each page. Think about how the ajax heavy apps load? Yep, around 3-4 minutes. That sucks. I think it may be due to corrupt firefox, I am going to download firefox, complete uninstall and do a fresh install before coming to a proper conclusion.

^ Don't forget to delete your firefox profile before that. A new profile might solve the issue.

^ Don’t forget to delete your firefox profile before that. A new profile might solve the issue.
[/quote]

No difference.

And maybe several extensions interfere with the pages.

The new Gecko engine (thanks for correcting) is faster... and generally speaking, javascript flies on it. So it shouldn't be that much of an issue, but a beta's a beta!

firefox 3 final is gonna be released in june:

Firefox 3 Nearing Completion

firefox 3 final is gonna be released in june:

Firefox 3 Nearing Completion

[/quote]

Excellent news! Now that’ll be reliable summer vacations. :D

awwh man Opera is something fast,I thought firefox was but I was wrong !

I just Downloaded this thing Great Going man I am sort of lovin it