OpenOffice or Microsoft Office

A friend of mine tells me that MS Office is waaayyy better than OOffice. I tell him that both are good and have almost equal features. Its upon usage as well, like if your work place is using MS office then you have to use MS Office, due to format and compatibility . He doesn't think so, so he wants your opinion.

Microsoft Office.

IMO, OpenOffice

http://releasenotes.org/node/10

[i am a linux user... so Microsoft office is crap for me!!!]

^ Use it with Wine.

@ ASAD

Do you own a registered MS Office or a pirated one.

Be practical, how many would want to buy MS office with its original price $$ ?

Is anyone willing to buy a new version every 3 years?

I have Original MS Vista and office installed on my office PC, but I use Open Office Portable for personal use.

^ He has a registered version of Microsoft Office. But M$ office sucks, so yes, open office.

@deffury

Tell your friend that Microsoft Office is better and end the discussion. Let him/her live in his/her world while you enjoy your OOo (OpenOffice) in your world.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

@ ASAD

Do you own a registered MS Office or a pirated one.

Be practical, how many would want to buy MS office with its original price $$ ?

Is anyone willing to buy a new version every 3 years?

I have Original MS Vista and office installed on my office PC, but I use Open Office Portable for personal use.

[/quote]

I do have a lot of licensed Microsoft software since I worked with them at my university during the last couple years.

How many users? Look up the stats on how many people use Open Office vs. how many use MS Office. Additionally, you don’t need to buy a new version every 3 years. I know some people who are still using their Office software from 2000. That’s 9 years for now and still ongoing.

My recommendation is not based on my past association with Microsoft. It is based purely on a users point of view. Until schools/institutes here stop emphasizing on software itself rather than the skills needed to use any software for a particular work, we would be stuck with Microsoft Office and hence, IMO that is the more practical solution for now. The changes needs to come from the academia, not the industry.

As it stands in the industry, unless your employees are very computer savvy (not possible on a wider extent) the cost of IT support for those people using open source software offsets the advantages of free software acquisition. This won’t matter for simpler CD/DVD burning, archive/zipping and other small utility software but on complex software, it matters a lot. Do realize that while software from Microsoft and other firms might have high purchase cost, it has relatively fewer support associated costs which is what the industry prefers. On the other hand, open source software has lower purchase cost but relatively higher support costs. That is the business model which open source works on.

To state generally in a blanket manner that OSS is better than non-OSS software is a non-intelligent statement. Each has it benefits and associated pitfalls. To be an ardent supporter of OSS doesn’t means that you should ignore or remain blind to the issues associated with it.

Go to TGP and read a recent discussion on this issue. Weigh the arguments and don’t be an “ardent supporter” for either.

Furthermore, considering the Pakistani market, for all practical purposes pirated Microsoft Office and Open office are both freely available. For the general home user, cost is an inconsequential issue. For such users, it all boils down to personal preference and choice.

Unless you are a corporate/business user, you don't have to worry about BSA knocking on your door.

+1 to MS Office. I've used both, and well - for the average user (as Asad said), MS Office is (1) a bit more user-friendly (note the usage of the word "a bit"), (2) has the requisites an average user needs, and (3) supports almost everything OO features - which makes it less of an incentive to switch.

The gripes I have with OO is

1) their start up takes too long (though I hear the newer versions have significantly improved on that)

2) In PowerPoint (or the equivalent - forgot it's name), the effects don't show up clearly (anti-aliasing is a neat feature, but c'mon - does it really work in PowerPoint, which is used in >85% of the PCs in Pakistan?)

That's all I can think of right now.

I do have a lot of licensed Microsoft software since I worked with them at my university during the last couple years.

How many users? Look up the stats on how many people use Open Office vs. how many use MS Office. Additionally, you don’t need to buy a new version every 3 years. I know some people who are still using their Office software from 2000. That’s 9 years for now and still ongoing.

My recommendation is not based on my past association with Microsoft. It is based purely on a users point of view. Until schools/institutes here stop emphasizing on software itself rather than the skills needed to use any software for a particular work, we would be stuck with Microsoft Office and hence, IMO that is the more practical solution for now. The changes needs to come from the academia, not the industry.

As it stands in the industry, unless your employees are very computer savvy (not possible on a wider extent) the cost of IT support for those people using open source software offsets the advantages of free software acquisition. This won’t matter for simpler CD/DVD burning, archive/zipping and other small utility software but on complex software, it matters a lot. Do realize that while software from Microsoft and other firms might have high purchase cost, it has relatively fewer support associated costs which is what the industry prefers. On the other hand, open source software has lower purchase cost but relatively higher support costs. That is the business model which open source works on.

To state generally in a blanket manner that OSS is better than non-OSS software is a non-intelligent statement. Each has it benefits and associated pitfalls. To be an ardent supporter of OSS doesn’t means that you should ignore or remain blind to the issues associated with it.

Go to TGP and read a recent discussion on this issue. Weigh the arguments and don’t be an “ardent supporter” for either.

[/quote]

Great answer. you should post this in your blog or a newspaper. No really!!!

to not to worry like you said so are you advocating that it is ok to use pirated software for individuals as long as they are not using it in corporate situation?

[/quote]

I merely stated a fact keeping in mind BSA’s history. You can infer whatever you want from it. :)

so many acronyms..it needs appendix at the end..:|

I also found MS Office to be better than Open Office...

especially for a novice,al MS Office is a way better...

Open office is a POS! Its garbage and it should be discontinued. We have that in our systems in univ which have linux. It completely messes up powerpoint presentations which are made in MS office and offers virtually no formatting options in comparison to MS office. I dont care if its free or not, really dont care about that, and no one should care about that since we get pirated MS office here.