Open source firmware, better than factory fitted crap (e.g.RouterTech)

I am using RouterTech firmware on Aztech 605EW and found it MUCH better than any factory fitted firmwares ive used so far. Feel free to let me know in case you need any help switching to the RouterTech firmware. I have explored this domain a lot (especially while un-bricking the kaput router).

It is highly customizable. For instance, i have set it to restart on its own as soon as it identifies loss of internet connectivity.

Custom firmware is always better than the one flashed by the manufacturer. Tomato, Gargoyle, etc. Much better.

@hawker: which firmware did u flashed it with? There is a whole list of firmwares for different types of routers, and the help there isn't very helpful :) I have the same router as yours.

I used RouterTech 2.93 after identifying the correct release according to the bootloader (psp bl.)

Send me a screenshot of (Advanced > Status > product info) from your router's web interface.

I am looking for 3rd party firmware for Linksys WAG120N Modem/Router. Would appreciate if anyone can give me some pointers.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I used RouterTech 2.93 after identifying the correct release according to the bootloader (psp bl.)

Send me a screenshot of (Advanced > Status > product info) from your router’s web interface.

[/quote]

router%20web%20interfacehttp://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3685/new1c.jpg

Any update for wateen's Buckeye device?

are there any such customized firmwares for Tp-Link routers...???

@unikorn

In case you are not facing any problems with DSL connectivity, i recommend NOT to change the firmware. I have multiple dsl modems. So, i could experiment on the Aztech one :)

In case you are ready to step ahead, open

http://www.routertech.org/software/

and download router upgrade checker and run it. Keep wireless AP on while you do so.

username=root

password=the admin level username you use to open your router's web configuration

@Mazahyr

It depends on the model you have. If you have wireless router only, TP-Link factory fitted firmware is sufficient. In case you have a dsl router PLUS wireless router device, you may consider changing the firmware.

NetGear and LinkSys devices are known to work with a variety of open source firmwares. Choices are limited when it comes to other brands.

@scuzzy

Some people have tried x-wrt on WAG160N. IMO, x-wrt or dd-wrt can work on WAG120N as well. However, you should wait till knowledge-base of any of the aforementioned firmwares states (tested) support for the model you own.

@Imran

I do not know if wimax CPE by motorolla is linux based. Can you establish a telnet session with the device? I shall check a wi-tribe cpe and let you know. At the moment, there is no known open source firmware for wimax CPEs.

i have WR642G wireless router.....temme how to modify it with this customized version....i need IP QOS....thts why i need this firmware....plz temme how to do it..?

@Mazahyr

post a thread in support forums of firwares:

x-wrt

dd-wrt

RouterTech

Also, try establishing a telnet session with the router using

telnet 192.168.1.1

in command prompt. I assume your modem IP is 192.168.1.1 (aka default gateway setting)

try the username and password you use to open the web based config of the device

otherwise, try

username=root

password=the admin level username you use to open your router's web configuration

temme again how to establish a telnet session with router....after establishing it wat to do...?!

A nice telnet tutorial. Follow it, and read my last post again.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/telnet_router.htm

If telnet is possible, and you get the prompt or something like that

CLI>

try the command

?

or

help

to see the available commands you can use in the telnet session.

take a screen shot of the list of commands, if you get that, and post it.

okay now wat to do after establishing telnet session....wat will it do in making changes to the firmware..?????

@unikorn

In case you are not facing any problems with DSL connectivity, i recommend NOT to change the firmware. I have multiple dsl modems. So, i could experiment on the Aztech one :)

In case you are ready to step ahead, open

http://www.routertech.org/software/

and download router upgrade checker and run it. Keep wireless AP on while you do so.

username=root

password=the admin level username you use to open your router’s web configuration

[/quote]

I do face problems in connectivity, i.e., frequent disconnections where either Wireless or DSL stops working and I have to reset router manually for it to work. But of course, I don’t want to brick my only Router, so won’t take unnecessary risks, but since you have flashed yours which is the same model, so I guess I should not be having any problem.

Did you get this warning as well while using Router Upgrade Checker?

Your router does not have a Marvell switch and so your switch may or may not be supported.

Realtek and IP175C switches are supported in the TNETW1350A firmware. Your Ethernet ports may or may not function correctly with a RouterTech firmware.

@Mazahyr

Please read post#13.

Telnet access and (linux) shell access are necessary in order to flash an open source firmware. That is what you are going to check for your device.

@unikorn

are you using ptcl or ldn?

does it happen sometimes that you are unable to access the web interface modem settings?

I got the RUC prompt you mentioned. Still, i flashed the RT firmware and no issues afterwards.

In case you are interested in trying other Aztech firmwares, the URLs are:

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/UAE/ADSL/

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/MALAYSIA/ADSL/

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/SINGAPORE/ADSL/

The Aztech DSL605EW in pak is Asian version with Malaysian firmware in it. However, Malaysian firmwares are crap. Try UAE or Singapore releases.

Otherwise, extract RUC files afresh to a new directory and run RUC with the following settings. This shall generate two new text files for use in case router is bricked (highly unlikely).

capturefp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

@scuzzy

Some people have tried x-wrt on WAG160N. IMO, x-wrt or dd-wrt can work on WAG120N as well. However, you should wait till knowledge-base of any of the aforementioned firmwares states (tested) support for the model you own.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Linksys WAG120N misses many important features including Line stats and poor implementation of Rules etc. I made a mistake in buying this model and now am stuck.

@hawker: thanks for the help and guidance. I finally went through, flashing Aztech's own firmware for Singapore. Turned out to be a disaster as I totally forgot I was hooked up with the Router through WLAN, so kinda bricked it, losing Telnet and HTTP connectivity. Fortunately, I downloaded RouterTech firmware and all the related tools before flashing, so used RRT to unbrick and flash RT firmware. It is now working smoothly, except one thing: the LED configuration has changed, i.e., Power Light is now red all the time. I tried running batch files that came with the firmware, but no use. Will look for another way to change them, probably using Telnet and the saved config file before I flashed it.

In short, all is well that ends well!

did you backup environment of the device using the post#16? (http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=167713#p167713)

In case not, you can try mine.

As far as LED config is concerned, you need to set it in the System > RT Configuration menu of web GUI. You shall see an input field for LED config. Check the corresponding checkbox, and write sar605ew in concerned text input field. Save it, restart. LEDs should display correct colors now. :)

I did take a backup but not sure how to use it again, since the mods at RT forums advise against using old backup files on their firmware. I was able to isolate led.conf file from the backup, but now the problem is where to put it in router as /var is temporary (file gets deleted as soon as the router boots up), and rest of the folder structure is read-only. Someone at RT forums talked about making mdt5 partition and then put file on it, but then someone else in that thread also mentioned of dismounting partition each time the router boots up, which is too much of a hassle. The SAR605EW turns red power led to green, but does not fix the internet light which now stays stable (without blinking, i.e., showing the internet activity). But I guess I can live with that, even if it does not work.

But it all was quite interesting. I never knew that my router had flash memory, partitions, file structure and files put on them and an operating system as well. Thanks for making me discover that :)

BTW, are you using Rebooter utility to reboot the router in case of loss of connectivity, or some other script? In latter case, I'd like to know more about that.