ONU line

PTCL people told me it would go dead after half an hour or so of an electricity outage/loadhsedding..

I would appreciate personal experiences here..

oh great. World Call do not inform me ever.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

PTCL people told me it would go dead after half an hour or so of an electricity outage/loadhsedding…

I would appreciate personal experiences here…

[/quote]

6 hours

after 6 hours,it will stay disconnected or will disconnect for some seconds..???

plz get it confirmed as I gonna get this in next 10 days..inshallah!!!

I have both the options(copper or ONU)..

A very great risk of ONU is the batteries in the PTCL DABBI / DABBA

One of my friend has this problem. Whenever electricity goes after some time his lines goes dead. He asked the lineman and he said that battery are faulty because of repeatedly light going coming.

hmm....other,how your experience..??share it...

^ Congrats on 1000+ :D

oh really..I just now saw it..thanks anyways..but let's not divert from the topic!!!!

I have been facing this issue for 4 months now. During January, telephone stopped working only when load shedding duration was more than 60 min, now it stops working 10 to 30 minutes after load shedding. It is really annoying for me especially as i can't use whole 116.71.x.x i.p. range and few i.p.s in 192.152.x.x range (some of the sites that i visit have blocked these i.p.s). If I have to choose between ONU and copper, i would still go with ONU as i get excellent speed on a single stream almost all the time and there are almost no disconnections (excluding the ones caused by load shedding) when telephone line is functional compared to my copper connection on which i get much lower speed on a single stream and there are frequent disconnections as well.

Just one more thing your telephone also stops working during load-shedding hrs so you can't use it as your primary telephone.

after 6 hours,it will stay disconnected or will disconnect for some seconds…???

plz get it confirmed as I gonna get this in next 10 days…inshallah!!!

I have both the options(copper or ONU)…

[/quote]

I had an extended electricity breakdown in my area. phone lines went dead after 6 hours and didn’t return till the electricity came back.

why dont we complain to PTA about the batteries of ONU ?

Will they take the complaint ?

^yes very good idea...

we should try..this thing shouldnt happen!!!!

why dont we complain to PTA about the batteries of ONU ?

Will they take the complaint ?

[/quote]

I complained to PTA about 3 weeks ago and got reply 2 days ago, in which PTCL claimed that they were in the process of replacing batteries and it will be done by the end of April.

^it means not a bad gamble at all....

Now Supreme Court of Pakistan h as also summoned PTCL to tell why they are not using generators to recharge their batteries. On 17th of MAy 2009 PTCL's chief of technical matters and legal officer will represent the PTCL in court in Karachi.

Happy.

I heard from someone that optical fibres signals are converted to electrical signals through ONU. Is it true? If yes, then probably it will depend on electricity. Please explain it in detail specifically to Pakistan and PTCL culture.

^ that is somewhat true PTCLs ONU service is FTTN (fibre to the node) so from the exchange to a DP its fibre then from that point onwards its copper and electric signals are sent over the copper wire

Please explain ONU drawbacks and advantages of PTCL's ONU.

one drawback is that SmartTV is currently not available on ONU :(

Advantage:

* ONU's are connected via fiber to the exchange. Copper wire is used only between ONU & customer premises. Hence Copper wire length is minimal resulting in most copper related issues being eliminated (better QoS).

Disadvantage:

* You have to use PTCL DSL service. Other ISP's are not allowed to use ONU nodes

* Due to PTCL design flaw, ONU's are not exchange fed for power. They use local power & UPS's are used for backup. However, PTCL slacks in maintaining batteries and in some areas, ONU goes out of service during load sheddin.