Online Fraud in Pakistan

It seems that Online Fraud in name of Online Shopping is on rise in Pakistan. More recently the mailboxes have been flooded by Online Shopping Sites mostly based in Karachi. I recently became a victim of one such site. Although I have always remained skeptical of such online sites, the option of Payment on Delivery was something which lured me into this trap.

I recently bought a Chinese SE Replica X10 Mobile phone from a Karachi based online website named www.onlineshoppingkarachi.com I placed the order online. Next day I received a call for confirmation of order. I told the sales man that I have placed the order for X10 replica and I exactly want that one with a wifi and I also told them that be careful in shipping as I want the exact model that i have placed order for. They told me not to worry and told me that I will get it next day. However it didn't reach the next day. When I called them they told me that it would reach soon however it didn't reach in next 2 days. Then when I contacted them, they told me that probably it has been lost by Blue-Ex courier service which was doing courier for that company. They told me to place another order. I did that.

The next day the courier people called me that they have got my parcel and they were coming to deliver and get the cash on delivery. When they came they first told me to pay the cash and then open the parcel. I was skeptical because of my 6th sense warning me. I asked them that I want to confirm the product before paying but the courier man was asking for money. So I again called the sales agent of the Online company and told that I was skeptical and I again asked them if it was the same product, the person told me that yes don't worry as I have packed it myself so you go ahead, pay and open it. So I payed Rs.8000 and opened the parcel but to my astonishment, it contained a box of Chinese SE U5i model. I once again called the sales agent before opening the box and told him that the box is of U5i, he told me that don't go on box, open it and it contains your desired phone.

When I opened the box, I was shocked to see a Chinese U5i model and that also broken with a visible and big crack. Moreover the box contained no battery of the phone.

This time I was boiling with anger. I kept the courier guy with me standing, and I again called the Sales Agent and told him about the incident. Now the sales agent instead of admitting his mistake lecturing me that I didn't understand the difference between U5i and X10 and according to him, I didnt know how X10 looks like. This model on their website was 3000 cheaper than X10 model.

When I started talking in harsh tome, the person started making excuses saying that I will ask Mr this and that, and dont worry, you can send it back and we will see what we can do about it.

The good thing was that the courier person also called his boss and told him about the incident, who perhaps called a Blue-Ex Rep lady in Karachi who then talked to me about the incident. I told them that a fraud has happened and your courier person is witness, so I want my money back. Good enough they understood the situation and she then called the Blue-Ex boss in Peshawar to immediately return me the money and take the fake items.

By the end of the day I got the money back thanks to courier people, else I was ripped of my 8000 by fraudsters sitting online.

I would advise all fellows to be very careful of such websites as they mostly try to deceive people.

I am sorry but I wouldn't call it fraud, more like 'dumb vs. dumber'

Are you buying for first time online? anyway that site looks shady to me with all Chinese products.

Informative - Thanks for sharing.

My brother had a similar experience buying a BlackBerry Bold 9800 from homeshopping.com

These electronic items can be bought at very good rates from hafeez center and hall road in Lahore. No need to buy from online stores. Only buy branded products. I also ordered a tourch for 1100/ from symbios.pk it worked only for few days and died while my 300/ tourch bought from hall road is still with me after about an year and working perfectly.

Everything is available in Pakistani markets, then why is there any need for online shopping! The same item could be bought from famous shopping marts, shopping centers, or electronic markets.

I have had good CoD experience with shophive.

There are some shops that are mostly safe to buy from, like Shophive, Galaxy, Beliscity and Vmart. But there's always risk of fraud when buying from online sources, so always do your research and go for known reputable shops.

9/10 times the guy(shopwala) doesnt know what features the item has..

You should have been more careful and should research thoroughly before buying a product online..

Next time ask for reviews about a site here or other places before placing order.

Thanks for all those replies. By the way, its not the first time that I have bought online. I bought a few products from homeshopping.pk At least they allowed me to inspect the items and check it to my satisfaction before making the cash payments and therefore I was satisfied with the products I bought from them.

But the other online shopping companies like symbios.pk, shoptime.pk, onlineshoppingkarachi.com, shopaholic.pk, toppakistanishop.com etc etc, have strange policy regarding cash on delivery. Their products are hidden in nontransparent bags, so one never knows whats inside. Moreover they dont allow you to inspect the items before paying, which makes them more shaddy.

Another thing which I have noted among these websites is that most of their chinese products appear simultaneosuly on all these sites and the prices are mostly similar. Seems like these are all owned by the same person/ company to trick the public.

There is nothing to check them

After some phone calls and e-mails Shayyan tahir finally rectified this & i placed another order for another tablet and got a new one this time.

^ Seems like guys over at homeshopping.pk are a fraudulent bunch.

I bought HTC Desire from them and it didn't include the 4gb SD card that it was supposed to. So I had to purchase it separately. Needless to say I'm not going to buy anything from them again.

^Well, homeshopping is becoming increasingly suspicious as they keep on growing. Some are satisfied and some have reviewed their experience as terrible!

Well, their prices are pretty nice. If they make their customer service nice as well then it can become a good online shop...

I would never consider buying from such a vendor even if their prices were half that in the market. <_<:rolleyes::angry:

^What do you think why people fall for while shopping from homeshopping.com.pk..?..:D

Certainly it's price..If you look at their prices then they are way better than rest of the shops..However, one has to be very vigilant while buying anything from them...!

rates of shophive are much more than galaxy . galaxy also offers home delivery .

seagate 1TB free agent at shophive is 11000 !!!!

http://www.shophive.com/shophive/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Kit-Black-1TB-p-9733.pakistan.html

and galaxy offering the same thing in

http://www.galaxy.com.pk/hard-drive.htm

much difference !

[quote=“ImranKhan810, post:11, topic:14739”]

Well Dr. Saab i can really understand what you said in your 1st post. I’ve kind a similar experience with this fraudulent website homeshopping.pk and shayyan tahir its admin. …

i simply transfered the amount of Rs. 10,000 in the following account

Bank Name: Standard Charted Bank

A/C Title: Shayyan Tahir

A/C No. 01150230901

Do NOT EVER buy anything from these PAKISTANI ONLINE STORES & please spread this message Plzzz.

[/quote]

Since you have proper proofs of advance payment and the item which they sent to you + some email records, I would suggest that you lodge a complaint to PTA and Cyber Crimes Division of FIA

Hmm usually if i like something online i ask a shopkeeper to get it for me and then i pay him the amount. galaxy computers also does that, you can negotiate the price with the sales rep.

[quote=", post:10, topic:14739"]

Thanks for all those replies. By the way, its not the first time that I have bought online. I bought a few products from homeshopping.pk At least they allowed me to inspect the items and check it to my satisfaction before making the cash payments and therefore I was satisfied with the products I bought from them.

But the other online shopping companies like symbios.pk, shoptime.pk, onlineshoppingkarachi.com, shopaholic.pk, toppakistanishop.com etc etc, have strange policy regarding cash on delivery. Their products are hidden in nontransparent bags, so one never knows whats inside. Moreover they dont allow you to inspect the items before paying, which makes them more shaddy.

Another thing which I have noted among these websites is that most of their chinese products appear simultaneosuly on all these sites and the prices are mostly similar. Seems like these are all owned by the same person/ company to trick the public.

There is nothing to check them

[/quote]

Thank you for mentioning nice comments about HomeShopping.pk and yet assured with all the products you get from HSN you always get the time to check all your products before you make payment for them and that goes for all products … We are happy to know that you are satisfied with the product which you bought from homeshopping.pk and hope you do that again in the coming days as customer satisfaction is the most important that for us and even if someone gets something he or she is not satisfied we have a 7 days return policy unlike any vendor in Pakistan where you can return your products for a replacement or you can take your full money back !! …

[quote=“ImranKhan810, post:11, topic:14739”]

Well Dr. Saab i can really understand what you said in your 1st post. I’ve kind a similar experience with this fraudulent website homeshopping.pk and shayyan tahir its admin. My online buying experience started from vmart.pk in 2009. i researched about the website and contacted them, asked about the procedure & when i was sure about their validity i sent them the money and i really liked their customer services. Whenever i placed orders the admin contacted me through e-mail and phone call to confirm the order and gave me money transfer details and everything worked fine and i always received the products in time. Recently i was looking for Android tablet and came across their website & facebook account. I noticed their quick responses in facebook and reviews on their website and the prices were also quite reasonable. As i already had a very good online buying experience with vmart.pk so i was completely unaware that they gonna give a very tough time. Well i simply registered to the website placed the order on (2nd June 2011) for 32 GB Asus Eeepad Transformer which cost me R.s 59,999. i received the confirmation e-mail and a call from customer services. They told me that they will order it from ebay and it would take about a week and in about 12/15 days they will send it to me & asked me to deposit the 10% advance as it was my first order from this website. As told earlier i had a very good experience with online orders in the past i simply transfered the amount of Rs. 10,000 in the following account

Bank Name: Standard Charted Bank

A/C Title: Shayyan Tahir

A/C No. 01150230901

and they confirmed it in next two days through e-mail and after a week on 10th June i received a call from their office that my product has been received by their Karachi franchise from their international office and I’ll receive it on Saturday but unfortunately i did not. On June 12th i gave them another call to ask for the product delivery & they started making excuses this and that. They started ignoring my phone calls and put my e-mail on filter so whenever i send them an e-mail it simply bounce back & never get through. This made me really worried about my money which i already payed but i still waited. on 14th June i received another call from the admin asking me to deposit the remaining amount of R.s 50,000 in the following bank account

Bank Alfalah

Account Number: 001401003148

Account Holder: Shayyan Tahir.

so that they could send the product and they guaranteed that i will get it the same day because the product is already sent and is in a courier office where i live and i was really surprised why were they doing this to me as i already had payed them 10,000 in advance.

I was completely unaware because they never made me realize from their discussion that they are actually trapping me. So i simply sent the remaining amount of R.s 50,000. People who place orders Online know how impatient they are when they pay the money and they want their products as soon as possible so i was impatient to receive my product as well so i waited the next day but did not. For the next 7 days I’ve been calling them… their courier services and they kept telling me that the product is on its way. i was confused and disappointed with my decision to order the products from homeshopping.pk and paying them advance. Now on 22nd i called my local courier office and they said they have received my product and on my way to the given address. I was not present there so i called up my brother to receive the product and he received it. When i came back it saw that the box was packed inside courier’s packing and inside that the box of the product was opened from left side. and the rapping tape on the bottom was completely removed and when i saw the tablet i was shocked to completely torn apart to see it was a 16 GB tablet and it was used. Now if you buy any product come from ebay.com, amazon.com or bestbuy.com . It comes in a new box and the box is sealed stating don’t accept the product if unsealed. Secondly the operation system installed on this android should have been 3.0 instead of 3.1 which was updated by the previous user or the homeshopping.pk themselves and they have been using this product from about 2/3 months. I was shocked and in completely disappointed as they trapped me and did a fraud with me. i called them up and and told the guy about all this and he started excusing i told them i will not tolerate such a fraudulent deal in any case and he said its impossible and started making excuses and said they will resolve so this gave me little home. Now when i made them another call the same day… they started ignoring my phone calls… they put it on hold or it appeared to be busy. and for the next 1/2 hours i kept making calls as i was extremely extremely worried about my money. So i contacted my brother and before contacting Police we thought we should give them one more call and their luck they picked it up and this guy named shayyan picked up the phone and making excuses and said that my chosen tablet was not in stock so they sent the 16 Gb version and the rest of the money is still with us and they will return it or you can buy something else & when we asked why they sent the 2nd hand instead of newer version and see what he said… he said sir " App ka kya khiyal hai hum baghair check kar kaey product recieve kartaey hein " what a stupid reason that snOB8*** gave me. i asked him to send me the money or send me 32 GB mini SD card instead and he said he will & its been 3 days i’ve received no call from them and my email has been put on a filter and they are not receiving any phone call from my number anymore but I’m not going to let this guy go that easily. I’ve already talked to local police office and we are in a process to block their website as well as they are doing a fraudulent business and deceiving innocent people. Please all the people who read this post please please think 100 times before buying through online websites not just homeshopping.pk but from whereever you buy your first option should be local market its the best option you have and everything is available. Do NOT EVER buy anything from these PAKISTANI ONLINE STORES & please spread this message Plzzz.

[/quote]

We here at Home Shopping would like to address to this issue reported by Mr Imran who is a real customer and yes he did buy the Asus transformer but all is not true that is being told so we want to tell the viewers our bit of the story as well as we feel we keep the right to do so… Yes Mr Imran did place the order and yes we did take the 10% as advance before his order and yes he did order and paid for the 32GB one only and we sent him the 16GB one mistakenly …

When our stock arrived us we shipped out the tablet for Mr Imran right away and as the specifications of the tablets memory is no where mentioned on the box like you can check in the picture taken below

search%3Fq%3Dasus%2Btransformer%2Bbox%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1C1SNNT_enPK387PK387%26biw%3D1138%26bih%3D555%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=311&page=7&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:102&tx=111&ty=59&biw=1138&bih=555

we sent him the 16GB one by mistake as there for no way we could tell and when contacted by Mr Imran we told him that this was an unintentional mistake and we offered him a full refund or a return of the remaining balance of 16GB and the 32GB one and then when he questioned us why the tablets seal was open and to which we replied that all tablets that come into Pakistan have to be checked at the time of purchase as they are not being bought directly by the company most of the time and we have to get these from dealers hence we are buyers just like you in USA and that is the reason why opening the box to check was made as a practice as we once got a tablet with a broken screen from one of the supplier in the US and it was not easy for us to track down where exactly the screen got broken !? from the supplier !? by us at office ?! during shipping to the customer or by the customer himself ?! … So therefore it is very important to open each product and check each and everything before we can have it shipped just so we can be sure that everything is as promised and most importantly because we give all our products with a 7 days money back return policy so we have to be sure that we dont let the customer have any chance of returning the product in the first place and most importantly he does not have to face any issues with the product purchased.

We would take this opportunity just because you brought it up to explain what the whole “seal deal” is all about in Pakistan. The product which you bought was the Asus Transformer which is no where around in our country and has to be flown in from USA on your request now this is not some phone which is being offered with the seal of united or mobile zone who also by the way get their phones unsealed from international markets and then reseal their phones. You see that warranty card you get with every phone with the seal on it ? well guess what that card is not placed by nokia team in finland they are all being placed onto the boxes and then being resealed so there is no way a importer can get their products sealed into Pakistan in the first place.

So Mr Imran was told that what ever he got might have had its seal broken but its 100% brand new to which he responded “yes the tablet is brand new” and he was only concerned about the seal being broken and it being 16GB so he is satisfied by the end ( It was a recorded call like all calls at HSN and yes the recordings can be provided if required) We didnt get a call from him for another 2-3 days and then suddenly he mails us saying that he is reporting us to the police and what not !!! …

blow is the link and would want all to visit and see the span shot of the logs of Mr Imran in conversation with us and then just stopped replying to our mails

http://homeshopping.pk/news/52/chat-log.html

Now what we fail to understand that if Mr Imran is so unhappy about our product then why is he now not replying to our mails and also not taking our calls and therefore we are now forced to post here hoping Mr Imran would read this and we would like to once again mention this in front of everyone that we are openly offering you a full money back refund of your order if you really not satisfied with the product you received and same goes for all the customers and readers please speak up if there is any unsatisfied customer of Home Shopping out there then please speak up and we are willing to offer refunds or offer solutions.

To sum things up …some people who have not even done online shopping in Pakistan have alot of bad things to say about the online shopping scene in Pakistan but all I can say to that is that no where in the world it is safer as it is in Pakistan as all over the world you are make to pay upfront and then you never know what would land in the mail box while here we offer cash on delivery where you get to see the order first just like in any other shop so technically you are not even buying anything online and you are just selecting online… Other then that we also offer a full no questions asked 7 days return policy where even if you end up paying for a product you find out later that it has some issues you would have the right to return it for a replacement or a full refund and the reason we have made such safety features is just because our customers in Pakistan can never go away from HSN unsatisfied and no one can have anything wrong to say about us. If Mr Imran you got something which was not up to standard we would have been more then happy that you would have practiced your right to file a return as you have been provided with that option in your my account area but if without using that you would want to report then sure… We have many satisfied customers and we make many new satisfied everyday and mistakes do happen but I can assure you we are putting our day and night for our customers service and also making sure about our quality ! …