OMG! this bottlenecking

well dudes... let me tell you a story...

i had a core2duo system a little while ago... everything was fine but then my younger brother took it away to hostel....ughhhh(not permanently as he lives at homes and is in lums.. i.e a day shcholar)... but it got stolen(the stupid guy left it in the car which was not locked).... sooo.... now what i had left(hijacked it form my dad)

p4 2.4ghz 478 pin(non ht)(533fsb with 1mb l2 cache)

asus p4v8xmx mobo (supports ht and has sata... it is an equivalent of d865gbf intel mobo)

1.5 gb of ram (it was 256mb ram which i changed and damn those expensive ddr1s)

i actually got a inno3d geforce 6200 256mb agp card(which was second hand and burned out pretty soon as it's tiniest fan stopped working and the card managed to reach a whopping 80 degree C)

the thing is that it played hd fine(not perfect but okay)

i only play one game and that is cs 1.6 and the 6200 gave an okay performance

now i thought i should get a card which should be able to play good hd movies as counterstrike is no biggie for a card.... the only good option available was hd3650(ddr2 128bit 512mb)from galaxy which is worth 6400 agp version while the pcx version is 1800cheaper..

now the thing is that it gives me pathetic fps in counter strike(a game with a twelve year old hl1 gaming engine)... hd?? what hd?? a 720p video plays like break dancing(with almost no sound.. and this can happen at lower res. too like 576)

another sad thing is that the temp. of the card is like 39C or at max 42C and the gpu usage goes as far as 20% and that is it( the processor is a 100% normally when the gpu is around 8%)... these hd series is supposed to play high definition a lot better(the problem is that the onboard 64mb plays hd as good as the 6200 but ofcourse the counterstrike part is unbearable so need agp on)

there is no power issue as the card requires a 400w psu and i got a 450w...

i am guessing this is extreme bottlenecking due to the processor... i thought something like an ht processor might solve the problem something like a 3.2ghz ht...

advices plz people.... i really am pissed at the situation... 6400rs for this crap... i could have gotten a 7600gs or a 1650pro at cheaper prices with no bottlenecking maybe.... help!!!!!!!

these forums are dead

HD3650 is from ATI/AMD, isn't it? Have you tried the latest drivers? Also, have you tried it with a fresh Windows installation to see if old residual drivers might be giving issues?

Is your PSU a Chinese non-branded one? If so, a 450W supply would be giving 330-370W only.

Your CPU at 100% and GPU at 20% , that a contradict. Asad is right. Man your GPU isn't working

@asad

yes i have tried with the latest drivers and the brand new installation of windows as well....

yes i have a chinese psu.... but i don't feel it has a problem yet

@yuronline

gpu 20% is like a spike:D.... when i would play an hd movie it's activity would be 8%

while the processor is at 100%... so the gpu is seriously underused....

now is it due to power or weak processor.... i read a little bit online about this card and people were having issues on processors like 2.7 ghz(mine is even lower than that).... most of the agp users have 478 pin processors which are slow.... my mother board can go max upto 3.2ghz ht processor.... i think maybe ht might help in speed... but these are hard to locate and i have been unsuccessful for sometime now... what i am thinking is getting an lga775 mobo with an agp... which mobo could that be??

I am using this card PCX version..this card is good i played all the latest games..

you need to upgrade your processor.

GPU has nothing to do with processor i guess. Its a seperate unit having its own processor , own RAM and bus. Have you tried the card in other PC?

Aye but games use both the processor and graphic card. If for example, the processor cant handle physics properly, the game wont feed data to the gpu and etc. There is a definate bottelneck

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

… what i am thinking is getting an lga775 mobo with an agp… which mobo could that be??
[/quote]

whynot pcx u can sell this agp card n get a better pcx card than this one…so if u r goin for motherboard upgrade go for one having pcx slot

whynot pcx u can sell this agp card n get a better pcx card than this one…so if u r goin for motherboard upgrade go for one having pcx slot

[/quote]

yup you are definately right… i might do that

hey i have decided to buy asus P5PE-VM mobo... and for processor i think about e5200

or a d930. .... which of these processors are better... and are they supported by the board?? plz explain quickly as i wanna buy quickly

^dude its an agp based board..why dont u go for a pcx one?

this board supports e5200 so go for it

edit: it supports ddr not ddr2

well actually that is what i am looking for... minimum upgrade.... board would support all the previous peripherals and the only thing i would need to upgrade would be the processor.... after 5-6 months i will go for a major upgrade to corei7....

but hey d930 is 3.0ghz with 2mb cache and 800fsb.... e5200 is 2.5ghz with 2mn cache and 800 fsb.... now is e5200 better?? core2duos are expensive so i am only looking for a dual core... i have heard that the pentium D dual cores are not that good... is the e series better than the d series when we compare the e series dual cores with D and not the e series core2duos??

but hey d930 is 3.0ghz with 2mb cache and 800fsb… e5200 is 2.5ghz with 2mn cache and 800 fsb… now is e5200 better?? core2duos are expensive so i am only looking for a dual core… i have heard that the pentium D dual cores are not that good… is the e series better than the d series when we compare the e series dual cores with D and not the e series core2duos??
[/quote]

well pentium d and dual core both r not same…dual core processors hav more over clocking potential and runs quiet cool temp as compared to pentium d processors…

i am gonna buy it from galaxy.... the price of e5200 is 5900rs... does that price includes the fan or i have to buy a fan seperately for the processor??(dumb questions i know but i haven't bought anything myself for a long long time)

included yar...btw how much does pentium d 930 costs?

w8 dude... i m afraid this board vl not support e5200...this board supports dual core processors build on 65nm technology like e2180, e2200

but e5200 is bulid on 45nm technology

so sorry for my earlier info :)

included yar…btw how much does pentium d 930 costs?
[/quote]

that is about 2800(second hand)

hey galaxy has e2220 2.4ghz too... that is 65nm so i could go for that...but is that one better than d930??

e2220 is better...but if u can get a used d930 under 3k its wise to go for it as there wont b very huge differnece b/w these two if u run them on stock frequencies