Note:

From 1st July 09, PTCL &NTC numbers in Karachi &Lahore will be changed to 8 digit numbers. Add 3 before PTCL & 9 before NTC number for dialing in new format

Why are they doing this?

What kind of system are they implementing?

Where did they get the funds for that?

1) because of the shortage of 7-digit numbers for Karachi

2) beats me.

3) funds? You don't need funds to do this. This is an operational change/systems configuration change.

In my opinion it is just unnecessary and stupid.

Cause now i would have to edit all my PTCL phonebook entries in my mobile.

this not is wriiten behhind phone bills.. :)

in america/canada there are 10 digits number so soon we ll meet 'em......

This is must to happen as its need of time.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Cause now i would have to edit all my PTCL phonebook entries in my mobile.

[/quote]

So what’s your suggestion then? :)

So what’s your suggestion then? :)

[/quote]

Very cool and practical suggestion:

Break the monopoly and give chance to new commers. For how many years we will be glued to such monoplistic attitudes and policies. Although discussion is about numbers but look at the other services which we expect from them. Are those all promised services being offered to the majority of customers? Instead of this they are spanking poor customers by enhancing dialup rates where there is no alternate other than this dialup.

SHAME PTCL!

From 1st July 09, PTCL &NTC numbers in Karachi &Lahore will be changed to 8 digit numbers. Add 3 before PTCL & 9 before NTC number for dialing in new format
[/quote]

would you mind to attach the source of this news?

any ways.

1) because of the shortage of 7-digit numbers for Karachi

2) beats me.

3) funds? You don’t need funds to do this. This is an operational change/systems configuration change.

[/quote]

1) I dont think there will be shortage as it seems to be.

2) dont know

3) Correct

[/quote]

Correct at some extent.

in america/canada there are 10 digits number so soon we ll meet 'em…
[/quote]

10 digits include 3 digit of City Code yet. inside the city there are still 6 or 7 digits (3 digit area code, 3 or 4 digit local number).

IMO, it is just not needed as for now. (try to conclude the combinations in 7 digit number and think is it needed?)

it was done back in 3 or 4 years in some of the cities in Pakistan where the phone number were as less then 7 digits and the PTA passed to make them all 7 digits long where even it was not needed as there was not a shortage.

However, not me not any one could strictly say that it is not needed also in other aspects, there might be other technical needs to help implementing new services easily and with less cost (if the numbers are on a standard length). may be, may be not. :confused:

/\ My friend works in PTCL, he told me this.

I also received an sms from my network operator, it said the same thing.

btw what is NTC number?

what is NTC number? what NTC Stands for?

Got SMS from Zong and Warid abt this info.

what is NTC number? what NTC Stands for?
[/quote]

National Telecom

http://www.ntc.net.pk/

ok, but i still could not get the point . all numbers are of PTCL or worldcall etc. digit 3 is added for lahore and karachi, then for which city or range of numbers 9 is added in prefix?

/\ 3 for PTCL, 9 for NTC.

Karachi & Lahore Only.

Got SMS from Zong and Warid abt this info.
[/quote]

And Telenor too.

stupid action indeeed...