Nokia preparing a feature phone with the specs of a smartphone!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

This comes as a bit of surprise to us but it seems Nokia is working on a Series 40 handset with 1GHz processor and a ClearBlack capacitive touchscreen Display. Yes, that’s exactly the reaction we had when we first read about it too.

That’s not all, this phone will also have 512MB of RAM, QWERTY keypad, Wi-Fi, HSDPA and an application store to download apps from. This information comes courtesy Nokia’s Manager of Marketing in Argentina through his Twitter account.

Now we wonder why on earth would Nokia want to run its feature phones on a 1GHz processor and 512MB of RAM, especially when its Symbian smartphones come with much lesser hardware. Whatever it is, we hope we would get a glimpse of this device in a couple of days at Nokia Connection 2011 in Singapore.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_prepares_1ghz_series_40_handset_with_touchscreen_cbd-news-2794.php

[/quote]

Looks like Nokia is finally getting rid of Symbian… Not sure if they’re going in the right direction though. :rolleyes:

could be a WP7 set?

Nokia is still far behind in smartphones. These 1 GHz and 512MB are almost year old specs, anyway let's see what they come up with.

[quote=“deffury, post:2, topic:14846”]

could be a WP7 set?

[/quote]

It clearly states that its a feature phone with s40 interface.

[quote=", post:3, topic:14846"]

Nokia is still far behind in smartphones. These 1 GHz and 512MB are almost year old specs, anyway let’s see what they come up with.

[/quote]

Yeah, but these specs haven’t been implemented in any feature phone until now. So this is gonna be a experiment by Nokia, either it’ll be a success, or a failure.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:4, topic:14846”]

It clearly states that its a feature phone with s40 interface.

Yeah, but these specs haven’t been implemented in any feature phone until now. So this is gonna be a experiment by Nokia, either it’ll be a success, or a failure.

[/quote]

Sorry it may look like a fool’s question but what is a “Feature Phone” ? Is it some new category of smartphones ?

As far as 1GHz and 512MB RAM are cconcerned, I have them in my existing phone which is 2010 model. Do you mean to say that Nokia did not implement these specs till date ?

Feature phone = phone without proper OS*.

Smartphone = phone with proper OS.

They're quite similar nowadays, except that the proper OS in the smarphones allows much more customizability and application support.

*Proper OS = Symbian, Android, iOS, etc

Now that i've mentioned that, i wonder though, how will we make use of those specs on a feature phone? By playing java games on it? :rolleyes:

lols! all that hard work to get stuck in jar file! I would love to play games on it! :)

Guys, maybe this handset runs like the new windows 8,i.e. s40 interface all the time and symbian3 when doing 'complex' tasks :D

^ Hmm... Possible, but then why would they call it a feature phone?

I have a feeling though that this phone is gonna be a success. Now either I'm thinking too complex, or their last successful experiment is making me think like that.

Merely one of the Rumors - think your self what S40 could do with extra overloaded specs?

To run crap Java apps?

^ possible, but seeing as the information about said phone came from the manager of nokia in argentina through a twitter post, i'd say it shouldn't be a rumor, cause he could lose his job for posting a rumor like that...