Nokia Fighting For its Name

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Source: http://www.apnatime.com/blogs/116/Nokia-Fighting-For-its-Name.html

Nokia has recently stopped delivering handsets in the Pakistani mobile phone market. NO…the company is not going to pack up in Pakistan but the real threat it is facing for the last one year is from the “mobile phone smugglers”. These smugglers have strengthened their roots since the government has forced 100 percent LC margin for all the importers of the handsets. According to a rough estimate, more than 75% of the phones in the market are coming from grey channels. Individual retailers and wholesalers who used to sell the original handsets took the government’s measure as an opportunity to eliminate major distributors like Advance, United and i2. Every other retailer is a distributor now, no matter how many handsets he deals in, he issues his own warranty. In recent days, more than 54 such retailers are active in Lahore. One such retailer is CellCon in Lahore who replaces the Nokia warranty card with his own in order to establish his own title. When a customer comes back to claim the warranty, he takes the CellCon card and send handset to Nokia with the original card he had obtained from the company.

Before Nokia had opened the Customer Care Center in Lahore and Karachi, local shops and the distributors like Mobile Zone, United Mobile and Advance were the places where customers could go for a handsets repair. According to few of the retailers, when Nokia opened its customer care center last year at Siddique Trade Center Lahore, all the technicians hired in their libratory belonged to various mobile phone shops at Hafeez Center. Even today, a large customer base prefer to get their handsets repaired from Hafeez Center and Hall Road as the level of satisfaction is more in a personalized dealing.

Though the grey trade has increased the market share of Nokia which stands at more than 75% unofficially but this share has nothing to do with the authorized partner of the company as official imports are negligible. This has created an alarming situation for the Nokia management, both national and international. The company has found it necessary to stop relying upon its partners and come forward with all its might. During the last one month Nokia sales team has conducted number of market surveys to measure the depth of illegal network. Based upon these surveys they have started play with the price and inject very small number of handsets of various models. Company plans to keep on reducing the price to a level where grey importers will find it difficult to breath. Surprisingly, this is not bringing the success as Nokia can not afford to use this technique on volumes, therefore, reduction in a very small lot gets digested in the market easily and the game goes on.

During the last 30 days, Nokia has dropped prices to the extent of 10 to 15% on various models.

[/quote]

Interesting. Does any one here knows where they are selling the discounted handsets? :D

Yeah... i too will like to avail the opportunity... :D

But still nokia is the most selling brand in pakistan. :|

Ahh Discount ??? Nah man they are selling at higher prices. I remember Nokia 1200 was at the 170 but suddenly it went up to 2400 !!!! where is the discount ?

Ahh Discount ??? Nah man they are selling at higher prices. I remember Nokia 1200 was at the 170 but suddenly it went up to 2400 !!! where is the discount ?
[/quote]

i think you meant 1700…

may be smugglers are putting their own “taxes” then the dealers increase the prices too after getting them from smugglers at comparatively cheaper rates then the original nokia sellers making the handsets almost at the same price as the original handsets (legal ones).

this is real bad

if nokia stops sending its products here then.......

no man this shud not happen..

this is real bad

if nokia stops sending its products here then…

no man this shud not happen…

[/quote]

On the contrary this is a good thing. Nokia is being beaten at their own game by the Pakistani free market!

As you can see from the article this is actually benefiting the consumer. Nokia is increasing its investment in the Pakistani market and lowering prices. It wouldn’t have had to do that if not for the baggage carriers.

Also this is the second instance of Nokia being forced to improve its services here. If I remember correctly it previously did not even have an office in Pakistan but was forced to start operations here after chinese copies began to find their way into the market.

This is a good news, atleast they opened their Nokia Care Centers in Pakistan, I recently visited their outlet, But they are only dealing with software issues (no hardware support and no accessories)

Ahh Discount ??? Nah man they are selling at higher prices. I remember Nokia 1200 was at the 170 but suddenly it went up to 2400 !!! where is the discount ?
[/quote]

That is due to a new tax on mobile phones. We are paying 500 more on low price phones, 1000Rs. on mid range and 1500 Rs for high class expensive phones. Plus we all know that US$ is more expensive too.

Informative article!

On the contrary this is a good thing. Nokia is being beaten at their own game by the Pakistani free market!

As you can see from the article this is actually benefiting the consumer. Nokia is increasing its investment in the Pakistani market and lowering prices. It wouldn’t have had to do that if not for the baggage carriers.

Also this is the second instance of Nokia being forced to improve its services here. If I remember correctly it previously did not even have an office in Pakistan but was forced to start operations here after chinese copies began to find their way into the market.

[/quote]

but… those local dealers are not giving proper warranty

This may benefit !@#$ consumers, but for how long?

What if they decide to close shop in Pakiland?

We may become heavily dependent on these smugglers, that may sell each set with exorbitant price tags, and vast majority of these sets will DEFINITELY be stolen. Should we just let these creeps ruin all foreign investments, and take Pakiland into the stone ages or should we kick some (you choose the color) butt.

P.S Did I say we? I meant you guys. Its not that I am afraid or anythi...(Blah, Blah)........ and thats why I can't go, so there, all sorted out, right?