Nokia 5800 ExpressMusic

Anyone got this mobile yet? It seems to have an excellent set of features and practically pwns iPhone. And yes, it has a touch screen...

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-5800-xpressmusic/specifications

If you have it, do comment about your experience with it.

one of my friends bought it some days back

n its awesome :D

it looks great works great sounds great :D

n try watching a movie on a big screen ;)

it really looks good :D

Fortunately, my friend also got this handset some days back and he said that it is really fast.

i hv read on some forums that its touch screen is not that responsive

i have been using this cell from more than one month and it is excellent in all respects............just camera results are not so good in indoors but rest all is just superb..........

love this phone :)

How much did it cost?

it cost me Rs.32500. Made in Hungary.

Made in china was 2k cheaper.....

i have used it. still cant think of a reason why you would think it pwns iphone?? the interface of iphone is heads and tails above 5800

lol @ pwns the iphone. Are you Serious ?

Btw the Iphone feature set is now complete (Now that it has bluetooth) and no cellphone comes close to it. The only phone coming a little close to the iphone is Sony Xperia X1.

What abt Storm,Omnia,G1,N96?

@ MoHaa

Ditto!

The UI of the iphone is way better then the 5800 nd it has so many app and customization options available that the 5800 cant match!! the iphone is superior to 5800 in looks and function so y wud u think that it pwns iphone. :0

I don't know why every conversation on every tech site ends up comparing an mp3 player or phone to iPod or iPhone. I know there is no match for the apps in iPhone but other than that theres nothing all that special. Battery,Camera and Sound Quality are just mediocre on iPod/iPhone. As far as I know you can't run more than one app at a time in iPhone and the lack of Copy/Paste was not good considering it's a smartphone(Copy/Paste added in iPhone OS 3.0).

regardless, it is a kick ass phone.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i have used it. still cant think of a reason why you would think it pwns iphone?? the interface of iphone is heads and tails above 5800
[/quote][quote=", post:, topic:"]
lol @ pwns the iphone. Are you Serious ?

Btw the Iphone feature set is now complete (Now that it has bluetooth) and no cellphone comes close to it. The only phone coming a little close to the iphone is Sony Xperia X1.

[/quote][quote=", post:, topic:"]
@ MoHaa

Ditto!

The UI of the iphone is way better then the 5800 nd it has so many app and customization options available that the 5800 cant match!! the iphone is superior to 5800 in looks and function so y wud u think that it pwns iphone. :0

[/quote]

Curb your fanboy tendencies. Wake up and smell the roses…

Source: http://infotech.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/3556877.cms

What Nokia 5800 has, iPhone doesn’t

Has the real competition to Apple iPhone finally arrived with the unveiling of Nokia 5800? Since Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced iPhone in January 2007 MacWorld, there has been a flurry of touchscreen phone launches from almost all mobile phone manufacturers.

However, so far no one has really been able to steal the limelight from Apple despites many devices boasting of far more power in terms of features. In the past few months, the Finnish phone maker has often been criticised for having missed the touchscreen' bus. Will Nokia 5800 prove the critics wrong? Will Nokia 5800 be able to do to iPhone what no other phone could do? Only time can answer these questions.</p><p>Here we bring to you what Nokia 5800 has that its biggest rival Apple 3G iPhone doesn't. </p><p><strong>Camera and video recording</strong></p><p><strong>Nokia's first touchscreen phone boasts of a 3.2 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens, 3x digital zoom, auto focus and a dual-LED flash. It also has a second backward facing camera. This compares to Apple 3G iPhone's 2 megapixel camera with no video recording option and no flash support.</strong></p><p>Unlike iPhone, Nokia 5800 offers video recording option at up to 640 x 480 pixels and up to 30 fps (frames per second). It offers up to 4x digital video zoom. The phone's front camera supports video calling feature. Nokia 5800 can support video playback up to 5.2 hours, video recording time up to 3.6 hours and video call time up to 3 hours.</p><p>No video recording in 3G iPhone also means no video conferencing. iPhone also lacks optical zoom feature. </p><p><strong>Free music service</strong></p><p>With Nokia 5800, the world's largest cellphone maker also tries to challenge Apple's dominance in the digital music arena. Beginning next year, the phone will feature Nokia's free one-year subscription for the company's new music service,Comes With Music’.

Positioned as a music phone, Nokia 5800 comes pre-loaded with a vast range of music collection. Though iPhone users can download music from Apple iTunes, however, the service is not available for free. Apple has neither tailored any download scheme with iPhone.

Nokia’s music download package is its first major push into the services business. The company said that all major music labels and most independent labels will offer their tracks as part of Nokia’s ‘free’ music bundle “Comes with Music,” raising the total number of tracks to around 5 million.

Replaceable battery

User’s one big disappointment in 3G iPhone was lack of user replaceable battery. Apple reportedly claims that it left out the user-replaceable battery option as it would add weight to the device.

However, interestingly almost all smartphones in the market, even those at the lower-end offer this option. And so does Nokia 5800.

Nokia 5800 battery life is reportedly as much as nine hours (GSM) or five hours (HSDPA), 35 hours for music playback or three hours of video. Nokia claims that the standby time is up to 17 days.

Apple iPhone support talktime of 300 minutes for 3G and 600 minutes for 2G and has a 300 hours standby time.

Bluetooth stereo

Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic can sync with stereo Bluetooth or in-car Bluetooth handsfree, which again Apple iPhone cannot.

Nokia’s touch phone supports Bluetooth version 2.0 with A2DP and AVRCP. iPhone lacks A2DP on Bluetooth. A2DP audio devices, such as stereo Bluetooth headsets, offer enhances listening quality.

Also, iPhone doesn’t support file sharing feature including MP3, images and video files via Bluetooth.

Messaging

Unlike the iPhone that doesn’t allow users to forward text messages as well as MMS messages, Nokia 5800 doesn’t have any such bar. The phone supports SMS, multiple SMS deletion, MMS version 1.3, message size up to 600KB and automatic resizing of images for MMS.

In iPhone users can only send text messages or snapshots via email. Also, users can’t send a SMS to multiple contacts as iPhone has no option for that either.

iPhone also lacks support for voice-recognition that allows users to dial verbally. Here again Nokia 5800 takes the lead, the phone supports voice commands and dialing feature.

Adobe Flash

According to media reports, Adobe is working on Flash for iPhone. This means user needs to wait as and when it gets launched.

However, no wait for prospective Nokia 5800 buyers, as the Xpressmusic phone already offers Adobe Flash support. Flash is required to power many online video services and websites. This means with no Flash support when users will browse Web pages which require Flash, they will see empty spaces with missing icons on iPhone. Apple claims that Flash may slow down browsing on iPhone.

Incidentally, iPhone supports YouTube which requires Flash. This means users cannot get all YouTube video, but only a few selected ones that have been rolled out for the Apple-favored H.264 video codec.

Cost advantage

Nokia 5800 too looks more attractive vis-a-vis 3G iPhone in terms of pricing. Nokia 5800 will be available at an unsubsidised price of 279 euros ($390). When compared to the 3G iPhone, the unsubsidised versions of 8GB model cost 499 euros ($700) in Italy or 350 pounds ($619.19) in UK. Nokia is yet to disclose the operator deals and other details.

My own addition: [Plus Nokia does not needs jailbreaking. You know a firmware update will not make your phone unusable because Apple wants to brick your unlocked phone.]

Touch-cum keyboard

For text input Nokia’s touchscreen phone has four options: handwriting, mini QWERTY keyboard, full screen QWERTY and alphanumeric keypad. The handwriting and mini QWERTY keyboard are stylus operated.

Apple’s iPhone lacks Stylus, which, however, can be added as an accessory. Also, alphanumeric keypad and landscape keyboard is missing.

Expandable memory slot

Nokia’s touchscreen device comes with 81MB internal memory, 8GB microSD memory card, capable of further expanding up to 16GB.

However, iPhone which comes with storage options of 8GB and 16GB models cannot be further expanded. It has no memory expansion slot. The 2G iPhone was also available with same memory capacity with no further expansion.

[/quote]

Nokia has FM player while iPhone doesn’t. Also iPhone (without any contract) is far more expensive than Nokia 5800.

Some links to go through:

http://www.tube5800.com/20-reasons-why-nokia-5800-is-better-than-apple-iphone/

http://www.smape.com/en/news/interesting/28727.html

http://www.3arn.net/nokia-5800-xpressmusic-vs-iphone-3g/

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2008/10/battle_of_the_p.html

Verdict: Apple iPhone… pwned… hard! :P

Verdict: Apple iPhone… pwned… hard! :P
[/quote]

Curb your fanboy tendencies. Wake up and smell the roses… :P:stuck_out_tongue:

i bought this phone yesterday....its awsome...iphone can't compete it..yes iphone has better display..but 5800 xpress have best video quality...

Both 5800 and iphone 3g are good. Both have different advantages and disadvantages.

And its not only Nokia Xpress Music 5800 that can be compared to iphone, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, Samsung Omnia i900, Lg Viewty, etc can all be compared to iphone 3g, and in my personal opinion X1 is the best amongst them. But for sure we will be seeing many better cellphones and smartphones in future.

And those guys who think that nokia 5800 has the best video recording quality, its not true.

The Nokia 5800 records videos at vga (640x480) resolution with 30 fps while the Lg Viewty can too record videos at vga (640x480) resolution with 30 fps but if you select qvga (320x240) resolution, then it can record videos at upto 120 fps! Smooth and Clear, much better than viddeos recorded at 30fps.

The lower resolution should not matter to anyone who wants better quality.

No offence to anyone

^i think they might be talking about Playing videos!

Asad, dont get offensive and start calling names just because I dont agree with you!! A mod calling names to forum members? Wow has wiredpakistan stooped that low? Iphone is still better than 5800, accept it or not, i cant care less. Dont agree? Go see the sales figures! They speak for themselves.

The purpose of iphone is NOT functionality, its style!

You posted a bunch of reviews, have you no opinion by yourself?